Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Rules

Julien Boit

Right - you can only shoot a match once (for score) - period.  

The thought behind this rule is that with the second gun, you've already "practiced" the stages and would have received an unfair advantage over your competitors.  So you can only shoot a match once in one Division (meaning you can't sign up for 2 divisions and shoot it once with one gun).  You gotta pick one when you sign up for the match.

I would like to contribute to this discussion by pointing out a unique Rule D in Appendix E, Modified Division.

If you have a gun which fully complies with the requirements of either Standard or Production Division (which are both recognised in a competition), you may not use that handgun in Modified Division.

Since you are in the Philippines (a region very familiar to me), I suspect someone has incorrectly tried to apply this rule to you in respect of shooting the same gun in Standard and Production Division.

As Pat and others have already pointed out, the only rule which affects you using the same gun in Standard and Production Divisions in the same competition is Rule 6.2.3.

Vince,

Here is my question:

Is it true that if I plan to shoot in modified division with my standard gun, and both classes are recognized at the match, I will not be allowed to shoot modified and I'll be automatically put in the standard class ?

DVC

Julien

Yes Julien, you understand correctly, and Part D of Appendix E Modified Divison is the applicable rule.

The reason for this rule is to prevent competitors going to a match ready to shoot Standard (or Production) Division but, when they arrive at the match and realise there are far fewer competitors in Modified Divison, they jump divisions.

(Edited by Vince Pinto at 11:49 pm on May 3, 2002)

In france we have two separate nationals:  Open/modified and Standard/revolver/production.

My main concern is : Can I shoot the Open/modified national with my standard gun.

Or will I have to use a "real" modified gun ?

Thanks

DVC

Julien

Julien,

>> Can I shoot the Open/modified national with my standard gun.

The short answer is NO, not in Modified Division. However you can shoot your Standard gun in Open Division if you wish.

The rule is very clear: "Any handgun which satisfies all the requirements for either Standard or Production Division may not be used or entered in Modified Division".

To shoot in Modified Division you must use a gun which does not qualify for Standard or Production Division.

If you are still unclear, just give me a full description of your "standard gun" (i.e. make, model and modifications, if any), and I will advise you further.

Or, if you prefer, contact my dear friend Monsieur Alain Joly at joly@ipsc.org (who is with the FFT), for more information (in French)

(Edited by Vince Pinto at 2:26 am on May 4, 2002)

Ok clear for me Vince.

I asked you this because I and fellow shooters planned to shoot the Open/modified national with our standards guns, which complies with the standard criterias.

Some of us tell that it would be possible as long as the standard class was not in the game, but ok, I'll fit a specific top end (now I really have to do this )!

Thanks

DVC

Julien

• 4 months later...

Can someone tell me why IPSC makes rules that are not enforced ?

Let me explain:

At WS, I saw plenty of standard shooters with mag pouches in the wrong place (too much in front), sometimes Holsters too.

I also saw a Production shooter with Heinie sights on his Glock, which is forbidden.

Why keeping those rules if they are not enforced, why don't we all play with the same ?

DVC

Julien

Julian,

the sights are ok as Chuck says.

In Cebu the shooter was required to mark the possition of his holster and  mag pouches on a card. The cards were checked at each stage by the RO before the breifing.

The holster position is fairly liberal, the hip bone extends well out to the front and as long as the holster is behind that most forward point it is ok.

Whether it is an advantage is another matter, for me the point of the hip is the spot.

No question on mags out front though, thats a pretty big advantage for a standing reload and should be checked by the RO

P.D.

I too noticed the migration of mags and holsters.  The problem is defining and enforcing.  You get skinny guys like us (Julien, Phil and yours truly) and "behind the hip bone" starts to seriously limit holster and mag pouch capacity.  I saw one petite woman competitor whose 4th mag was back past her spine.  Good luck reaching that one!

You get a "stable weapons platform" like one of the Germans I saw, and just finding the hip bone is tough.

What to do?  Heck if I know.  Tattoo a line on our body?