Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New barrel on my Springer

PappaJ

I'm contemplating a new barrel on my Springfield. I've dinked around and rebuilt everything else in the pistol and now I 'think' I want to put a new business tube in it. I guess I'm curious as to what everyone's personal preference is. I've been leaning towards a Kart with a Briley bushing but I'm not sure. Fitting it is no big deal, just looking for a somewhat economical solution.

This is my main blaster. I shoot USPSA and IDPA with it.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

I have a Kart in one of my SS. It works great. Very accurate and a tad bit faster than a Schuemann. Nowlin makes a great barrel, they are my first choice, however, I was told they are no longer making a C/P cut.

For an XD you might consider BarSto.

Sorry, I didn't even think to post 'what' Springfield..... it's an older model Loaded. The reason I'm thinking about replacement is improved lock-up. It's not as tight as I'd like. Plus there's a couple of gnarly spots in the rifling and it looks like a little bit of throat erosion (could just be my eyes on that though). It still shoots ok but I have doubts that it's still holding as good as it used to..... Like I said, I'm still thinking about it.

• 7 months later...

I have a Kart in one of my SS. It works great. Very accurate and a tad bit faster than a Schuemann. Nowlin makes a great barrel, they are my first choice, however, I was told they are no longer making a C/P cut.

For an XD you might consider BarSto.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a C/P cut? I like the Nowlin barrel as well and have one in my Pro. :blink:

Clark/Para frame cut is for a ramped barrel with a c/p cut on the barrel. There is also a Wilson / bowling cut for frames and barrels.

For the original poster, I would suggest a kart.

WILSON / NOWLIN

Looks like my Droid suggested another word and I didn't catch it. :cheers:

Barrels...well, I'm biased, but I've got guns with Bar-Sto, KKM, Nowlin, Schuemann, STI and Storm Lake right now, but I'd only pay for one of those...take a quick look at these threads you'll notice a pattern:

http://www.brianenos...ndpost&p=672537

http://www.brianenos...dpost&p=1308620

http://www.brianenos...dpost&p=1064334

I would advise against the Briley bushing after experiencing one of those disintegrate in the middle of a match.

Also, I'm curious what you mean by "Fitting it is no big deal." A proper fit is everything, and is not something that the average tinkerer or general gunsmith knows how to do properly.

I have a bunch of different barrels in my guns. My favorite is a Nowlin with a C/P cut. This one is gnats ass accurate. But so are my Kart, Schuemann, and STI barrels. The fit is critical. Perhaps much more important than the brand just so long as you stay with a top brand name.