Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

Looking forward to hearing more about these charging handles.

Took the 712 to a local club level 3 gun match. This gun was running right along side of the SLPs, 930 JMs, Versa s and Benellis that were in attendance.

During the 3 shotgun heavy stages, the CZ stayed within 4 seconds of the leaders on two of those stages. The shooter took full responsibility for the time differences. On the third stage there was only a 1.75 second gap to the lead dog.

Overall we finished 3rd out of 18 shooters. This gun can shoot!

The big bolt handle and modifying the shell lifter are all this gun needs.

Aleric, what DRAM shells are you using? I've only got 75 rounds through mine so far, and I had 3 different brands of shells, 25 rounds of 2.75 DRAM and 50 rounds of 3 DRAM. It was ok but wouldn't reliably load them. The bolt would get locked back sometimes. I might have to send it in to CZ.

I have since bought some 3.25 DRAM shells but haven't had a chance to take it out again. (I did clean it before taking it out the first time, lubed it with EWL 30. After first trip I cleaned and lubed it with regular weight EWL, hopefully it shoots perfect next time out).

Thanks!

Edited by factionfx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone know what chokes are included with a 712 utility? I got what I am pretty sure is a cylinder choke (1 hash mark) and then some more choke that extends out an inch and has 3 hash marks (i'm guessing full)? Shot a match yesterday where some steel was getting far, and the 3 hash mark choke was shooting maybe a large dinner plate pattern at 25 yards lol.

Faction,

3 dram. I am shooting Federal Field and Target 2 3/4 inch 3 Dram 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 shot w/ velocity of 1200 fps. these are Federals Bulk pack bought at Wal-mart

anytime

Thank you. I bought this 100 pack and the winchester 100 pack (of equivalent specs) at Walmart last weekend.

I will hopefully get to try them out tomorrow. If it doesnt run 100%, I will be testing out CZ's Customer service!

Anyone know what chokes are included with a 712 utility? I got what I am pretty sure is a cylinder choke (1 hash mark) and then some more choke that extends out an inch and has 3 hash marks (i'm guessing full)? Shot a match yesterday where some steel was getting far, and the 3 hash mark choke was shooting maybe a large dinner plate pattern at 25 yards lol.

Squirrel Burner,

It is the full range of standard shotgun chokes, and the marks go from most restrictive to cylinder bore. Sorry, I'm new to shotgunning, can't remember which way it goes...I learned all this in the manual, and then wrote on the chokes with permanent marker which one they were.

Smoking Tree Rat

Had the same problem identifying chokes when I got my AL390ST and according to my research the CZ takes the Beretta Benelli pattern choke

Either way the markings seem to be semi standard through all mfgs.

http://www.trulockchokes.com/choke-identification-tool.php

Edited by Amerflyer48

My 2013 CZ came w 5 chokes. I=full, II= Improved Modified, III = Modified, IV(Hashes)=Improved Cylinder, V(Hashes)=Cylinder. Full is the most restrictive and they grow more open with the higher number of hashes. None of these choke tubes extend past the muzzle.

I shot my last match with the III=Modified. There were clay pigeons, Mini poppers and 5 inch squares as targets. Max range was 15 yards the Modified choke had no problems taking down the steel.

Faction: CZ recommends The Federals and they run perfect this gun! My CZ struggles with the Winchester equivalent traveling at 1145 FPS. let us know what your testing of these two rounds reveal.

\

Faction: CZ recommends The Federals and they run perfect this gun! My CZ struggles with the Winchester equivalent traveling at 1145 FPS. let us know what your testing of these two rounds reveal.

Thanks, I've got 100 rounds of Federal, 100 of the Winchester, (both are 3.0 DRAM).

Good to know...if it doesn't run on those federals, I'll be sending it back to cz. (I don't own guns that are picky)

I've got 250 RIO (3.25 DRAM) from academy, I think they *should* work even better.

I got my Akita stock and my tom buster II sights on I'm ready to rock! Hope the CZ can get 'r dun!

Thanks for the info guys!

Hello guys,

Well I got to take my (basically new) CZ 712 out this weekend.

Unfortunately it performed terribly. I used the shells I got (in quoted message, some 3.0 DRAM some 3.25 DRAM) and to my surprise it was able to jam every one of them. On 2 occasions the shell was stuck and I had to disassemble the gun to get it out. (no amount of yanking on the undersized charging handle could free it). It was cleaned and lubricated with Slip 2000 EWL. (before I had it lubricated with Slip 2000 EWL 30

So, I guess not every one is perfect. Damn!

I'll call CZ and get it into them today or tomorrow. Hopefully they get me into something that runs great!

\

Thanks, I've got 100 rounds of Federal, 100 of the Winchester, (both are 3.0 DRAM).

Good to know...if it doesn't run on those federals, I'll be sending it back to cz. (I don't own guns that are picky)

I've got 250 RIO (3.25 DRAM) from academy, I think they *should* work even better.

I got my Akita stock and my tom buster II sights on I'm ready to rock! Hope the CZ can get 'r dun!

Thanks for the info guys!

First and foremost, count me in for one of those handles for sure! My preference would be stainless also, but good with either. Just let me know where to send my 40 bucks.

Secondly, I have a 712 utility and I love it, however for the purposes of hunting it would sure be nice to swap out the barrel for a true hunting purpose. Anyone know of a good spot to buy a replacement, say a 26 or 28 inch? I seem to recall I found them once for around 140 dollars but now I can't find that website for the life of me.

Someone please help the old man with CRS?

Edited by HuntinGreg

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the latest on the handles..First shop i took them to would build them but wanted a minimum order and they came in at too much per unit to make it feesible. $50 my cost each one with a 100 count first order..(no way).

Next shop i had quote them came in at about $15 each minimum order to start of 20..(cool).. lets do it ..I had them make a cpl. to test before going straight to production..good thing because they were not remotely close to working although they looked really good...Second go around on a pair of sample ones were much closer but diameter a bit large yet..3rd time the handle looked and went into the bolt great! (except) the bolt wouldnt cycle at all after it went in..I had to dismantle everything to get the handle out of the bolt..after more measuring and some file work it went in and cycled the bolt good.

So to finish this off the machine shop said they were NO LONGER interested in doing the job...

Anyway , the only thing i have to show for this is a shotgun full of scratches and some dents in the stock (all recieved when the 2nd set of handles stuck in the bolt and had to be roughly extracted)

But i do have 2 bolt handles that do work..I'm keeping one of coarse but the second will maybe put up for grabs..

To be honest guys while doing all this work i bouhgt a new Berretta 1301 comp. in 24" to run , using my CZ-712 as a back-up .

Here is the latest on the handles..First shop i took them to would build them but wanted a minimum order and they came in at too much per unit to make it feesible. $50 my cost each one with a 100 count first order..(no way).

Next shop i had quote them came in at about $15 each minimum order to start of 20..(cool).. lets do it ..I had them make a cpl. to test before going straight to production..good thing because they were not remotely close to working although they looked really good...Second go around on a pair of sample ones were much closer but diameter a bit large yet..3rd time the handle looked and went into the bolt great! (except) the bolt wouldnt cycle at all after it went in..I had to dismantle everything to get the handle out of the bolt..after more measuring and some file work it went in and cycled the bolt good.

So to finish this off the machine shop said they were NO LONGER interested in doing the job...

Anyway , the only thing i have to show for this is a shotgun full of scratches and some dents in the stock (all recieved when the 2nd set of handles stuck in the bolt and had to be roughly extracted)

But i do have 2 bolt handles that do work..I'm keeping one of coarse but the second will maybe put up for grabs..

To be honest guys while doing all this work i bouhgt a new Berretta 1301 comp. in 24" to run , using my CZ-712 as a back-up .

I'm really confused all that happened, considering the original ones I had made off identical measurements for the bolt lockup would fit, but the angle leading to the barrel started to soon by like .5mm.

Edited by zfields

I had to send my 712 back to CZ, it was new and wasn't cycling right.

I'm dying to hear what you think of the 1301....I have been looking at them extensively since sending the CZ in.

I'm really confused all that happened, considering the original ones I had made off identical measurements for the bolt lockup would fit, but the angle leading to the barrel started to soon by like .5mm.

It may have something to do with the fact that not even the replacement "factory" handle i got from CZ was the same..thinking they have some different one out there so not 100% the same from gun to gun??

I had to send my 712 back to CZ, it was new and wasn't cycling right.

I'm dying to hear what you think of the 1301....I have been looking at them extensively since sending the CZ in.

Faction,

Loving the new 1301..its way lighter and faster ..mounts to the shoulder quicker..Does have some kick , but there is a fix for that..And after evertything i've went through to get the CZ running perfectly(which it is now) the 1301 already does and a whole lot better...just my $.02 worth

Well, that would sure make it a real joy to do any after market for it.

Just curious, what was the diameter measurement of the stem going into the bolt?

would have to go measure it again...the 3rd set made required a more rounded lead-in angle for the retainer ball

Well, that would sure make it a real joy to do any after market for it.

Just curious, what was the diameter measurement of the stem going into the bolt?

would have to go measure it again...the 3rd set made required a more rounded lead-in angle for the retainer ball

That is odd. Wonder why this is nordic stopped messing with them.

During this process i started checking and even the CZ factory team isnt running these from what i could personally tell..Had to ask myself why

I just want a different handle, that's all it really needs, mine has been running well. Better with the stock parts.

On a diffent note to all that still want the extended handle..your factory one can be modded to get that look/function..

I have seen this done to a benneli and what the guy did (i seen it work) was to take a small peice of aluminum pipe about 3/8" dia. and about an 1" long ,,slide it over the existing handle a then fill the remaining area around it with a 2part epoxy ..just a thought for those still wanting to run one to give it a try???

On a diffent note to all that still want the extended handle..your factory one can be modded to get that look/function..

I have seen this done to a benneli and what the guy did (i seen it work) was to take a small peice of aluminum pipe about 3/8" dia. and about an 1" long ,,slide it over the existing handle a then fill the remaining area around it with a 2part epoxy ..just a thought for those still wanting to run one to give it a try???

That's a good idea, like JB I'm guessing, but then you have a pretty permanent modification.