Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

Zfields,

Have you thought about trying to accomplish this seemingly impossible charging handle job via Kickstarter? I bet that if you just wrote up a brief synopsis of what you are trying to do, include the photo of charging handle, posted a link here, on AR15.com, on shotgunner.com (or whatever shotgun pages there are) you might get 50 or 60 people wanting these things. I bet there are more than a few guys in the competitive shotgun realm using a 712 that would really like a better charging handle than the dinky POS it comes with. I don't think you would even need to do the video...but those are cool and they let your "investor" know who they are dealing with.

You find a machinist that will make a minimum of 50, find out how much he'd charge plus how much for each additional over 50, then set your Kickstarter fundraiser goal for the minimum fee the machinist wants, shipping, and the profit you want. All of us make a kickstarter donation and if you don't raise the money by a certain time, then I think everyone gets their money back and we're all back looking for bolt handles praying that maybe Nordic will make another run. If you do raise the funds, as soon as the machinist makes them, you send them to us and we can do the same thing for a barrel clamp that fits because that Nordic clamp didn't fit on mine. It squeezed the barrel and the mag tube together totally screwing up my POI. I thought I was going to permanently damage my Nordic mag tube extension.

Too bad you couldn't get an email or snail mail list of 712 purchasers. I bet 90% of 712 owners would buy one and I'll be that CZ has sold at least 500 of them.....but then that gets into gun registration and the govmint and all that crap. lol.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm still around : )

Phones been acting up, so I haven't been getting notifications of postings lately since I don't check over here on my computer much.

usmc, PM incoming once I finish my cigars. Hard to put down Villiger Talangas.

IMAG0004.jpg

Edited by zfields

Zfields,

Have you thought about trying to accomplish this seemingly impossible charging handle job via Kickstarter? I bet that if you just wrote up a brief synopsis of what you are trying to do, include the photo of charging handle, posted a link here, on AR15.com, on shotgunner.com (or whatever shotgun pages there are) you might get 50 or 60 people wanting these things. I bet there are more than a few guys in the competitive shotgun realm using a 712 that would really like a better charging handle than the dinky POS it comes with. I don't think you would even need to do the video...but those are cool and they let your "investor" know who they are dealing with.

You find a machinist that will make a minimum of 50, find out how much he'd charge plus how much for each additional over 50, then set your Kickstarter fundraiser goal for the minimum fee the machinist wants, shipping, and the profit you want. All of us make a kickstarter donation and if you don't raise the money by a certain time, then I think everyone gets their money back and we're all back looking for bolt handles praying that maybe Nordic will make another run. If you do raise the funds, as soon as the machinist makes them, you send them to us and we can do the same thing for a barrel clamp that fits because that Nordic clamp didn't fit on mine. It squeezed the barrel and the mag tube together totally screwing up my POI. I thought I was going to permanently damage my Nordic mag tube extension.

Too bad you couldn't get an email or snail mail list of 712 purchasers. I bet 90% of 712 owners would buy one and I'll be that CZ has sold at least 500 of them.....but then that gets into gun registration and the govmint and all that crap. lol.

Fast,

I'll be honest, I'm avoiding kickstarter like the plauge. So many firearm related start ups are failing that I think it would be somewhat hard to get backing.

Like I said in a previous post, I would like to do a small scale presale at first just to get the money up to do a run, and see how things go from there.

I'm also a bit weary about spreading to to many forums, mainly due to issues with commercial postings without sponsorship accounts. I probably will try

over on shotgunworld in the huglu section just to see if there is much response.

Once I get some out there and get feedback, might be worth a try to contact CZ-USA or CZ custom to see if they will carry it, but that's a bit longer out

then I really want to bank on for the time being.

Hello guys, this is my first post. I had to create an account because this is the largest and most knowledgeable CZ 712 thread I've found online.
Been looking at purchasing one of these shotguns, particularly the 712 Utility that most of you have. I have managed to read about half of the 32 pages on this thread!
I was originally looking at 1100 or 11-87 but these are cheaper, have better and longer warranty, and seem to work better out of the box.
I see there is a fiber optic sight that fits them, and a good stock with a good recoil pad, and a tube extender.
My intended use:
just for fun; I don't own a shotgun yet.
My background
I've shot a remington 1100 20 gauge (older model with no recoil pad.) and a Mossberg 500 wood stock 12 gauge. Stock recoil pad. The mossberg kicked too hard for my liking. 1100 was fine. It's my understanding that the semi should slow down a lot of that punch. I'm 5' 10" and 210 lbs. It's not that I"m small framed maybe I'm just a wimp :). Or I have the wrong positioning. I would probably pony up and get the ATI stock anyway, the recoil pad is supposed to be really good on that, right?
My questions
-Why is a barrel clamp needed? Does extended tube need a 'stabilizer brace' so you guys are stabilizing it against the barrel?
-Is there a picatinny rail available or has anyone retrofitted one? Since it's for fun, I would 'like' to put a red dot on it that I already own. (I saw the fiber optic sights available, that would be my default.)
-is there a side saddle available?
-If I decided I want to modify the spring to run lighter loads, how easy would it be to get a couple spare springs direct from CZ? Are they months out or in stock?
I am quite mechanical and can handle the modifications required to install tube extension, and polishing the bolt if I decide to go that route.
Thank you for your time!

Hello guys, this is my first post. I had to create an account because this is the largest and most knowledgeable CZ 712 thread I've found online.
Been looking at purchasing one of these shotguns, particularly the 712 Utility that most of you have. I have managed to read about half of the 32 pages on this thread!
I was originally looking at 1100 or 11-87 but these are cheaper, have better and longer warranty, and seem to work better out of the box.
I see there is a fiber optic sight that fits them, and a good stock with a good recoil pad, and a tube extender.
My intended use:
just for fun; I don't own a shotgun yet.
My background
I've shot a remington 1100 20 gauge (older model with no recoil pad.) and a Mossberg 500 wood stock 12 gauge. Stock recoil pad. The mossberg kicked too hard for my liking. 1100 was fine. It's my understanding that the semi should slow down a lot of that punch. I'm 5' 10" and 210 lbs. It's not that I"m small framed maybe I'm just a wimp :). Or I have the wrong positioning. I would probably pony up and get the ATI stock anyway, the recoil pad is supposed to be really good on that, right?
My questions
-Why is a barrel clamp needed? Does extended tube need a 'stabilizer brace' so you guys are stabilizing it against the barrel?
-Is there a picatinny rail available or has anyone retrofitted one? Since it's for fun, I would 'like' to put a red dot on it that I already own. (I saw the fiber optic sights available, that would be my default.)
-is there a side saddle available?
-If I decided I want to modify the spring to run lighter loads, how easy would it be to get a couple spare springs direct from CZ? Are they months out or in stock?
I am quite mechanical and can handle the modifications required to install tube extension, and polishing the bolt if I decide to go that route.
Thank you for your time!

Welcome!

1. The clamp, I have found is not really needed for the +3 round tube, plus it doesn't even clamp properly (from Nordic).

2. I have not seen a retrofitted picatinny rail, the closest thing I've got to that is this, but for a laser: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D9S19G/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. I have seen no side-saddles.

4. The new 2013 models do not need a different spring to cycle light loads.

Hope that helps!

Edited by goodmanac

Welcome!

1. The clamp, I have found is not really needed for the +3 round tube, plus it doesn't even clamp properly (from Nordic).

2. I have not seen a retrofitted picatinny rail, the closest thing I've got to that is this, but for a laser: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D9S19G/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope that helps!

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

Does anyone know when these unicorn 2013 model started shipping? Where would be the best place online to purchase one of those? I definitely want one of the new improved models.

Really excited that I may have found the good inexpensive semi auto short barrel with chokes that I have been researching for a while!

Welcome!

Hope that helps!

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

Does anyone know when these unicorn 2013 model started shipping? Where would be the best place online to purchase one of those? I definitely want one of the new improved models.

Really excited that I may have found the good inexpensive semi auto short barrel with chokes that I have been researching for a while!

This is where I got my 2013 (by chance, so I would call): http://www.jgsales.com/cz-model-712-12ga-semi-auto-shotgun,-new.-p-5773.html

And you could call Buds too, they have them in stock also: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_871/products_id/59707

This is where I got my 2013 (by chance, so I would call): http://www.jgsales.com/cz-model-712-12ga-semi-auto-shotgun,-new.-p-5773.html

And you could call Buds too, they have them in stock also: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_871/products_id/59707

Thanks, you are quite knowledgeable on this. Is there something in the serial number that designates it as a 2013 model? I found several places on slickguns that have them in stock; might call several of them tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Thank you.

Also, for picatinny mount, this seems like the best bet so far. http://www.amazon.com/B-Square-Universal-Cantilever-Mount-Ribs-8-Inch/dp/B000VYPF2S?tag=6ltz1q9sc1bbe9p-20

Does the rib width match? That's awesome I haven't seen those before, just may have to get one. Thanks!

LOL...

I have no idea if the rib width matches...I don't have a 712 yet :). The description says 'up to 3/8' width, so I imagine it would.

One thing you can be sure of is I will be trying it out! (Amazon is great about returns, especially if it's the wrong size etc, so it's a no risk situation for me.)

If you happen to try it out first please post!

Thank you.

Also, for picatinny mount, this seems like the best bet so far. http://www.amazon.com/B-Square-Universal-Cantilever-Mount-Ribs-8-Inch/dp/B000VYPF2S?tag=6ltz1q9sc1bbe9p-20

Does the rib width match? That's awesome I haven't seen those before, just may have to get one. Thanks!

LOL...

I have no idea if the rib width matches...I don't have a 712 yet :). The description says 'up to 3/8' width, so I imagine it would.

One thing you can be sure of is I will be trying it out! (Amazon is great about returns, especially if it's the wrong size etc, so it's a no risk situation for me.)

If you happen to try it out first please post!

The vent rib measured 5/16" on mine. So this rail is standard picatinny on top? The description was unclear.

EDIT: Just kidding, it's weaver, that will work. And it should fit 5/16, which is pretty close to what a standard Rem870 vent rib width is (870 ribs are a very small fraction smaller then 5/16).

I found the overall length and width of the adapter: 11.37" Width= 1.10"

So the only thing to worry about is the mounting hardware fitting underneath the vents.

Edited by goodmanac

I've got another question for you guys. (I'm going to look at a 712 locally today at lunch.)

My 3 main concerns (since this is a 'fun gun') are:

• recoil
  • reliability (with lighter loads)
  • decent sights. (I think this is covered with the weaver rail or the hi viz fiber).

I was really planning on getting a 20 gauge for the lighter recoil, but on this page, (from chuck hawks), it's saying that recoil on the 1 or 1 1/4 should be very close to that of a 20 gauge.

Will the CZ 712 utility function correctly with these 1 ounce 'light' loads? (I verified it is a 2013 model they have in stock).

Am I correct in my analysis?

2013-08-29_0905.png

Edited by factionfx

I've got another question for you guys. (I'm going to look at a 712 locally today at lunch.)

My 3 main concerns (since this is a 'fun gun') are:

• recoil
  • reliability (with lighter loads)
  • decent sights. (I think this is covered with the weaver rail or the hi viz fiber).

I was really planning on getting a 20 gauge for the lighter recoil, but on this page, (from chuck hawks), it's saying that recoil on the 1 or 1 1/4 should be very close to that of a 20 gauge.

Will the CZ 712 utility function correctly with these 1 ounce 'light' loads? (I verified it is a 2013 model they have in stock).

Am I correct in my analysis?

2013-08-29_0905.png

The minimum I load I have put through mine are the 1200 FPS. It would be interesting to see if one ounce loads work.