Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder/primers newbie question

bzt

I am such a newbie at reloading that I JUST ordered the starter kit from Brian Enos. It hasn't even arrived. I am trying to get things in place so that when it comes I can start learning.

I recently had some work done on the 9mm pistol that I use in production. I dont know the exact weight of the hammer coming down on the pin/striking the primer. The guy who did the work told me I should use Federal primers because they only needed a very light strike. My problem is , I can not find these ANYWHERE (except locally at $5/100 and that kind of defeats the point of my reloading). Can anyone recommend a primer with a light strike, similar to federal?

Also, any powder suggestions? I see Solo 1000, Clays, and Titegroup mentioned a lot, but dont know enough about what I am doing to make an educated purchase.

I appreciate any assistance in this matter.

Edited by bzt

What kind of gun?

I would buy some factory ammo by different makers, Winchester, Remington, Blazer and see if they work. If they do it seems logical that primers by those companies should work as well.

What bullets are you going to use? That drives the powder decision usually.

I would also start reading the 9mm reloading section in depth to find alot of your answers as well.

But you are correct. Titegroup, solo1000 are very popular in 9mm for minor loads.

What kind of gun?

I would buy some factory ammo by different makers, Winchester, Remington, Blazer and see if they work. If they do it seems logical that primers by those companies should work as well.

What bullets are you going to use? That drives the powder decision usually.

I would also start reading the 9mm reloading section in depth to find alot of your answers as well.

But you are correct. Titegroup, solo1000 are very popular in 9mm for minor loads.

I am using Montana gold 124 jhp. I shoot a beretta 92g elite 2. I'm in production division. I've read hundreds of posts in th 9mm reloading section but can't find any discussions on the lightness of primers. I have shot Winchester and federal ammo with no problems. So would this mean I could use winchester primers reliably? Thanks again for the help.

I am using Montana gold 124 jhp. I shoot a beretta 92g elite 2. I'm in production division. I've read hundreds of posts in th 9mm reloading section but can't find any discussions on the lightness of primers. I have shot Winchester and federal ammo with no problems. So would this mean I could use winchester primers reliably? Thanks again for the help.

There really isn't a perfect source for comparing primers, but if your gun works fine with Winchester ammo, yes, Winchester primers should work just fine for you.

Many people have been able to find Fed Small Pistol Mag primers lately, but they might not be any softer than Win SP are. If you can find Win SP, you're really lucky as those are one of the hardest to find now. R,

Welcome to the joys and frustrations of reloading. Keep your eyes open for primers. They show up when you least expect them too. In 9mm Titegroup is an easy choice. It's cheap, it's somewhat available, and it doesn't take much powder to get the job done. I shoot a Glock 34 with a lightened striker spring. I use CCI primers and have had zero malfunctions or problems with them.

If you are shooting a 92g Ben Stoeger is the man you need to talk to. He has been shooting IDPA/USPSA/IPSC for years with a 92. You can find him in this forum or check out his web site. I think it's www.benstoeger.com. If it's not, just do a search for him. He WILL have your answer.

You can almost certainly replace the current mainspring with a slightly heavier mainspring without losing that nice trigger.

I shot a Beretta quite a bit, and a very small increase in mainspring weight eliminates the need for Federal primers but still keeps that trigger really nice.

FY42385

Maybe I just dont know where to look, but I cant find ANY small caliber primers in stock online. Powder valley, graf and sons, midsouth, cabelas, Widners ( they have wolf, but heard bad things about wolf)t and T reloading,midway, etc...

I think I am going to be stuck buying primers at a local shop for $3.75/100 at only 100/day..with tax and LOTS of patience.. this will equal $203/5000 plus gas money for the 50 trips :blink:

For my son-in-law at Area 8 I loaded his ammo for Beretta 92. 124gr MTG with 4.3 gr of TiteGroup set at 1.135.

Here he is on Bang N Clag -http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=105 Just click dowload movie. Looks like the rounds had a smigen of flip. I also use WST for my Production loads set at 1.135 with 4.7 gr.

Get a few federals at highway robbery prices to hold you till you can get an order of 10K or so. Grafs.com, Nachez Shooting Supply, powder valle, etc.

Picked up some powder and primers at Nagles. I got WSP, Clays and Titegroup powder. Also ordered 5k primers from a guy on gunbroker. I ordered 124g JHP from montana gold... I got 5k used brass from gunbroker. So.. I think I am set for a little bit while I learn how to not blow my hands off. :rolleyes:

I calculated my costs and it seems it will be .16/round. I dont understand how people say they make em for .09. But even at .16/round, if they are good quality rounds, its going to be cheaper than walmart or academy ammo. That means I will be able to shoot more! :goof:

I calculated my costs and it seems it will be .16/round. I dont understand how people say they make em for .09.

I never buy brass for one thing.

Order powder in 8lb jugs for another thing.

Order primers 20K at a time.

Order Montana Gold bullets with a few buddies for a group buy. If you order them from Manny Bragg 6 cases at a time they are much cheaper than getting them from MG directly. ;)

Picked up some powder and primers at Nagles. I got WSP, Clays and Titegroup powder. Also ordered 5k primers from a guy on gunbroker. I ordered 124g JHP from montana gold... I got 5k used brass from gunbroker. So.. I think I am set for a little bit while I learn how to not blow my hands off. :rolleyes:

I calculated my costs and it seems it will be .16/round. I dont understand how people say they make em for .09. But even at .16/round, if they are good quality rounds, its going to be cheaper than walmart or academy ammo. That means I will be able to shoot more! :goof:

In the "good old days" when things were in stock, you could order several cases of primers and a few 4-8lb jugs of powder all on one hazmat...pay $110/5000 primers, $65 for 4lbs of powder, $75/1000 for jacketed 9mm bullets = $0.11 per round.

Most of us don't buy brass. You were supposed to be saving that up during the years you shot but didn't reload. I don't know what you paid for brass, but I'll be you paid a lot more than $110/5000 for gunbroker primers.

Wanting to try a new (to me) powder, I just bought 1lb (actually, 14oz.) locally, and it was $26 (with tax)! If it works out, I'll definitely be ordering it by the 4 or 8lb jug next time and get a much better price.

I have only been shooting since october. The range I go to sadly does not let you collect brass. :angry2: .. I did buy 5000 once fired for $86 off gunbroker. I did buy 3750 bullets so I got a little price cut. I dont know enough people to go in with and buy HUGE quantities. If anyone in the San Antonio area wants to, feel free to let me know.

I was going to mail order 4-8 pounds or even 26 pounds of powder from a range here, but I need to try some out in smaller quantities to find out what I like/dont like.

Looks like this time next week I should be cranking out some rounds.

Thanks all for the replies/suggestions/help.

I would love one of those.. .too bad they dont sell them anymore? Well they say I can pick up my brass, but, I dont know whats my brass.. They are picky. And since I have only been shooting since October , I havent shot much brass. Ok well I shot in october, then havent shot in nov, dec, or jan. so Not a lot a brass for me to pick up.

I would love one of those.. .too bad they dont sell them anymore? Well they say I can pick up my brass, but, I dont know whats my brass.. They are picky. And since I have only been shooting since October , I havent shot much brass. Ok well I shot in october, then havent shot in nov, dec, or jan. so Not a lot a brass for me to pick up.

The indoor range I go to let's you pick up your own brass. So when I get there, I grab a broom, sweep out the stall and all around it as much as I can. Then I go at it. ANYTHING in the area I swept up that is 9mm, I take with me. If someone else's brass get's thrown into my area, I try to be good about not taking it, but most of the people there don't pick up there brass.

Most folks use a marker and color the base of the case...then you know you're only getting your own. R,

Try one of these! For $30, it can't be beat. I don't have one, but would like one!

http://www.sd-exports.org/brass_grabbers/

And here is how I mark my brass:

Just put the case in, and give it a twirl! Pretty much stands out like a sore thumb! The stripe is almost 3/8" wide. Works really good on regular brass as well as nickle.

post-18733-127024867639_thumb.jpg

post-18733-127024868497_thumb.jpg

Edited by GrumpyOne

Try one of these! For $30, it can't be beat. I don't have one, but would like one!

http://www.sd-exports.org/brass_grabbers/

And here is how I mark my brass:

Just put the case in, and give it a twirl! Pretty much stands out like a sore thumb! The stripe is almost 3/8" wide. Works really good on regular brass as well as nickle.

That looks pretty handy!