Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where do you put your thumbs..

RevolverJockey

That's the one disadvantage to the grip, it puts your thumb kind of close to the cylinder gap. I have smallish hands, though - I can safely use this grip on a j-frame and not gas my thumb. Your support hand thumb does get REALLY DIRTY though. I was shooting 158gr LRN at an IDPA match, and my thumb turned a nice even black color, like it had been cajunized.

For those who have problems smashing your thumb on the guard, how are you placing you thumb? When I put my thumb there either with my strong hand on the Hogue release or curled up under, the entire pad of my thumb makes contact and sort of wedges into the corner of the frame and guard. I have never busted the finger open, and don't even notice any discomfort while shooting. I can say no part of my nail is making contact with any part of the Revo. I would say I have slightly above average hands.

Lee

This is all very interesting. I position my support thumb the same way that Buckland does in the photo. I was not aware that anybody else does this. Despite being 6'3" I have very small and skinny appendages (hands and fingers included) and have always been able to shoot with my support thumb against the frame, between the cylinder and my trigger finger. Because my fingers are so skinny I never touch the cylinder and since I pull the trigger somewhere between the pad and the tip of my trigger finger, there isn't enough trigger finger sticking out to get in the way. Thumb over thumb always took too much time for me and doesn't point all that well either. Considering how many auto shooters use this kind of grip, I'm amazed that more revolver shooters don't do it.

I keep my shooting thumb curled down hard and tight. How else can you manage any kind of recoil (not to mention a heavy DA trigger pull) if it's extended or even resting on top of the cylinder latch? I know a local shooter who carves away the tops of all his revolver grips just so he can rest his thumb over the cylinder latch and be ready for the reload, but then he shoots only ICORE now and can't shoot Major PF. I keep my shooting thumb curled down no matter what handgun I'm shooting.

Dave Sinko

I can get my thumb over to the web of my strong hand for a good grip when shooting my L-frame, but it doesn't seem natural after shooting autos in production. I have been teezed for my auto style grip on the revolver. I'm trying to curl my thumb some more because it does get a little toasted. If I'm not careful it can get in the way of my trigger finger as I pull the trigger back. It is a work in progress.

Westczek

This is all very interesting. I position my support thumb the same way that Buckland does in the photo. I was not aware that anybody else does this. Despite being 6'3" I have very small and skinny appendages (hands and fingers included) and have always been able to shoot with my support thumb against the frame, between the cylinder and my trigger finger. Because my fingers are so skinny I never touch the cylinder and since I pull the trigger somewhere between the pad and the tip of my trigger finger, there isn't enough trigger finger sticking out to get in the way. Thumb over thumb always took too much time for me and doesn't point all that well either. Considering how many auto shooters use this kind of grip, I'm amazed that more revolver shooters don't do it.

I keep my shooting thumb curled down hard and tight. How else can you manage any kind of recoil (not to mention a heavy DA trigger pull) if it's extended or even resting on top of the cylinder latch? I know a local shooter who carves away the tops of all his revolver grips just so he can rest his thumb over the cylinder latch and be ready for the reload, but then he shoots only ICORE now and can't shoot Major PF. I keep my shooting thumb curled down no matter what handgun I'm shooting.

Dave Sinko

I don't think that it's a good idea to use this grip with a revolver. Remeber the the gent who flame cut his suupport hand thumb last year, shooting a 500S&W?

Here is the simulation. No thumb loss but you get the idea. I won't post the actual picture.

Tens of thousands of rounds through everything from J Frames to Redhawks, and my thumb is still intact. There's more to that .500 Magnum story than meets the eye. If I had an X Frame I'd shoot it the same way I shoot all my other revolvers, without hesitation.

Oh, and let's not forget about that elderly guy who back in 1931 set all those records for speed and accuracy. His support hand never even touched the gun. To him the thought of shooting a revolver with two hands while standing on his hind legs probably seemed ridiculous.

Dave Sinko

I use a thumbs forward grip on my wheelguns - same grip I use on a bottom feeder. It's the same type of grip that Craig Buckland is using in this picture from the 2010 Winter Nationals or whatever they're called now.

He isn't far off from getting some gas on that forward thumb?

A fabric bandage comes in handy now and again.

I learned that grip from my friend and mentor John Carney while training at TDI in OH many years ago and it has served me well. With that grip I can transition pretty easily to semi-autos.

Craig

Edited by Bones

I also use the thumbs forward. I havn't been burned yet, but it has entered my mind.

A bigger issue for me is the 2nd knuckle of my middle finger on my strong hand getting sore from the bottom-back of the trigger guard. It's noticeably sore after a hundred rounds. It helps my finger if I use a lower grip, but not my score.

When I was shooting the K frames alot I used to end up with a black thumb at the tip of my weak hand. Never did feel it though. And as signrup posted I also get a callous on my middle strong hand finger from the trigger guard. Later rdd

I shoot my 625 with "flying thumbs" forward like my autos. I have good sized hands and do end up with my left thumb a little blackened from powder residue. Nothing more though.

I tend to curl/tuck my thumbs for things with actual recoil (and and enough gas to hurt me).

Anyone with wood BBs want to chime in on what they are using for a grip?

Lee

My grip starts with the stronghand (right hand for me) is as high as possible. The web of my thumb and forefinger is even with the top of the back of the grip frame. My hammer spurs are removed as they make contact with my hand when the revo is fired if not removed. My stronghand thumb rests on the cylinder release with my weak hand thumb under the stronghand thumb. And my thumbs are pointed toward the target. My left hand is two fingers lower on my right hand. My weak hand is gripping harder than my stronghand as this allows my trigger finger to work without flexing my stronghand to keep it from affect the revolver. As a note I do not rest my weak hand thumb on the rebound shield as it will bust my thumb as LPaterson states in his post. Hope this is helpful. later rdd

I'm with Bubber on the grip. I have and still find myself puting my left thumb on the shield at times without thinking about it. It works ok, but after about 2 states my left thumb is numb! I have to almost smack myself to stop putting it up there when I do it, but them I am ok not doing again for a long time. (I must be a slow learner) :blush:

A buddy shot a video of me shooting a 42 round stage on saturday at our Winter Storm Match. You can see my grip fairly well as I shoot the 3rd array of targets.

I did go for the Tactical Amish Barn foot wear. :roflol:

Edited by snertley

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot thumb over thumb, kinda like Jerry. Every time I try a different grip I end up having my trigger finger hit one of my thumbs as I squeeze it. Built in trigger stop. Trouble is it stops it before it can go bang! I have long fingers. Trying to just get the pad alone on the trigger is difficult for me as that leaves the rest of the trigger finger sticking way out uncomfortably. Heck, I have a hard time getting my finger in the guard during the draw.

These things really are 150 year old designs in some ways. Luv 'em though! :D

Fellow Revo shooter and I are just getting started and have been trying out a whole bunch of different grips, reloading methods etc and I just wanted to see what everyone else was doing to see if there was a trend. If you don't fall into one of these, feel free to share what works for you and why. Also, include what grips you are using. Thanks,

Lee

No matter where I start placing my thumbs on the revolver, by the end of the stage they are always up my a--.

Using my N frames with Big Butt grips I use the same grip as Buckland as shown in the photo above. I don't use the Hogue release though. My right (strong hand) thumb runs up the side of the frame above my cylinder release to the left of the hammer. My left thumb is under the cylinder touching the frame. I put a small piece of skate tape in that spot as a reminder where my left thumb does to keep it back from the cylinder gap. I am able to switch back and forth with my Limited gun with basically the same grip. Also, I get better control of the gun this way because I have more of my support hand on the grip. Using Jerry's grip style I never was able to get enough of my support hand on the grip to help with control.

Chris

• 5 years later...

Mitch, I use essentially the same grip on the revolver that I use with a bottomfeeder. My support hand thumb lays right along the frame below the cylinder. Being left handed, this also helps my reload by just reaching the thumb up to kick the cylinder open.

Jerry