cnote

Guy Neill asked for help, so lets try to get a list of sensitive powders going

Inverse vs standard &/or neutral

Inverse list = WST, Ramshot Silhouette, Solo 1000, IMR 7625 -

Standard list = Tightgroup, Clays

Neutral list =

I will add them to the original as you post them, please and thank you

Edited by cnote

i like this idea, maybe update the original post as ideas come in. fairly certain titegroup is "regular", hotter temp, higher velocity. Maybe make two seperate groups instead of listing them in a random order.

Or you could use Full Editor and make the powders that are like the one Corey mentioned red "fairly certain titegroup is "regular", hotter temp, higher velocity" and the ones that run a higher velocity when colder blue The device for changing the font color is last in line after 'Other Styles' 'Fonts' 'Sizes' on the Use Full Editor option under Fast Reply. There is a small small paint brush icon on the end of the top line.

Edited by earlbob

A simple way to test this:

On a warm sunny day take 30 rounds of your match ammo and do the following.

Take 10 rounds and put them in a zip lock bag (seal it well don't want no wet ammo) and stick them in a cooler with ice.

Leave 10 rounds in your shooting bag in the shade.

Take the remaining 10 rounds and sit them on a dark colored towel and put the in the sun till they are warm/hot to the touch.

After your ammo has gotten down/up to temp ( I usually give it an hour). Shoot them across your chrono and note what happens to the average, low and high velocity.

Shoot them as quickly as possible after removing them from their representative conditions.

If you really cared to make this scientific you would need to measure the actual temp of the ammo prior to shooting it (maybe sick a termometer in an empty case that are under the test conditions).probably want a few other data points as well.

Like your idea for testing the ammo, think I'll try it this summer with a thermometer reading or 2 and then do it again in the winter and compare the results. Of course loading up all the test ammo at the same time and saving some for the second winter test seems wise.

earlbob

Inverse list = N320, WST, Ramshot Silhouette, Solo 1000, IMR 7625 -

Standard list = 231/HP38, Tightgroup, Clays

Neutral list =

Edited by cnote

What about VV320?

N320 is definitely reverse temp sensitive in all the tests I have run.

I haven't seen that at all. It's been either neutral or somewhat positively sensitive. My last two sets of data had one at 30*F and the other at 50*F. Same gun, same load, 10+ shot strings. It was 30fps faster at 50*F.

Some guns seem to slow down as the barrel gets hotter and some seem to speed up....I'm thinking that's another variable people might want to track, not just the powder. R,

My experience - and that of the other folks I've discussed it with here on the forum and in person - is exactly opposite yours. You may want to recheck your data and make sure something else didn't change :surprise:

Summer time, 100 degree temperatures, I need 4.2 to make 170PF. Winter time, 35 degrees, I need 4.7. This is behind a Precision 185gr bullet w/ a WSP loaded to 1.180" in .40....

I concur that 7625 is reverse temp sensitive. I didn't experience much, one way or the other, with 4756. N105 seems to be fairly stable, as well - if anything, it's mildly positively sensitive.

At 40F I was hitting about 850fps and at 70F I was hitting 800fps

That was in a .40 XD with 200gr BBI's and 3.0 gr of N320

Similar results with 155gr MG JHP's and 5gr of N320.

Both were loaded at 1.130 OAL.

At this point I think I will e-mail VV and see what they say and that way we can get it "from the horses mouth" How does that sound :)

Just sent the e-mail and we will see what they say about the powder itself.

(edited to add the OAL and that I had sent the e-mail)

My experience - and that of the other folks I've discussed it with here on the forum and in person - is exactly opposite yours. You may want to recheck your data and make sure something else didn't change :surprise:

Summer time, 100 degree temperatures, I need 4.2 to make 170PF. Winter time, 35 degrees, I need 4.7. This is behind a Precision 185gr bullet w/ a WSP loaded to 1.180" in .40....

Edited by Classic_jon

Inverse list = N320, WST, Ramshot Silhouette, Solo 1000, IMR 7625 -

Standard list = 231/HP38, Tightgroup, Clays, WSF

Neutral list = 4756, N105

will wait for the N320 email

Edited by cnote

Valid point.

I do know that if you tilt the gun forward where the powder is forward you will get one reading and if you tilt it back towards the primer you will get another.

I am not an expert in this but, I would not think the barrel would be enough to make an inverse powder standard or a standard powder inverse. I would think that logically the barrel would at the most mitigate some of the effects but not change them entirely.

Anyone here with more knowledge on that care to weigh in?

Some guns seem to slow down as the barrel gets hotter and some seem to speed up....I'm thinking that's another variable people might want to track, not just the powder. R,

WSF in my opinion is positivly sensiteve. I don't have hard crono data for that. All I have is knowing that my 1100 will short cycle on cold mornings with cold shells. To me that means that not enough gas is being produced or the impusle is happening at the wrong time. I normally load for 3 1/2 dram.