Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ft Benning 3-Gun Challenge 2010

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sponsors, please be patient as we organize our packets for this year's FB3G. Sponsor letters/emails will be going out in the next couple weeks - so if your company or your sponsors are interested in taking part in the event - please forward emails to myself @ fb3gsponsorship@gmail.com or fb3gunmd@gmail.com. Stay posted on here and on the FB3G website for further updates!

Join the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit Facebook Group and follow up on news, events, and our soldiers!

Email sent.

From Fox News online tonight:

Gates Approves Tighter Gun Restrictions After Ft. Hood Shooting.

I am wondering if this will have a negative effect on the 2010 FB3G? I surely hope not.

Jim

Jim....we have not seen anything from big army here at White Sands. We (police) see many firearms unregistered on the installations much like the case in point with the Fort Hood incident. Typical for criminals, laws and regulations do not apply to them....seems to be a common theme wouldn't you say.

Larry

Sent to everyone on my "notify list."

This is a long message. Please read the whole message before emailing questions. You are getting this message in advance of the posting on the internet because you were a shooter in last year's match, or you requested advance notification.

The 2010 Ft Benning 3 Gun Challenge will be December 2nd through December 5th. It is a 3 day match.. The sign in process (to get a registration code for the application) will be Wednesday May 12 at 9:30 Eastern Time (8:30 Central, 7:30 Mountain & 6:30 Pacific).

The TEST Sign in

In 2008 and 2009, the system experienced a serious slow-down because people clicked the Submit button multiple times. Last year, the delay was worse when some shooters clicked the submit button multiple times in panic. This will slow it down for everyone. The information is saved on click and not when the second page appears.

To attempt to minimize the delay, we have a new website host service and data collection process. We removed all images and graphics from the second page so that it will load faster. However, due to the large volume that I expect at sign in, we may still experience a slow down.

In order to stress test this sign in page, I would like everyone to do a trial sign in on Thursday April 28 at 9:30 Eastern Time (8:30 Central, 7:30 Mountain & 6:30 Pacific).

Please go to http://themxtrack.com/FB3G/Test3.html. This is the TEST 'Sign in' screen. Before the test on April 28th, feel free to fill out the information and click the submit button. You will get a "form letter" email message from me within 24 hours so that you can be sure your information was properly transmitted. I will clear any information at 8:30 pm EST on April 28th, so you can practice up until then, signing in. The test screen does not have a server clock. It displays the time on your computer.

The REAL Sign in

Everyone who completes the test sign in will get an email message with the link to the actual sign in page. You may sign-in yourself & one other person. That other person can sign-in himself & you. You can get shooting buddies to sign you in. You can have your child sign you in. There is no rule that you have to do it personally. Only the first sign-in will count, but it doesn't hurt to submit from more than one computer.

Note that I will not accept any official sign-in on the on-line list before 9:30 PM EST on May 12, 2010. There will be an official clock on the page. Don't hit the submit button on May 12th before 9:30:00 on the clock. This advance notice lets you look over the information early, get familiar with the process, so that you can you get a registration code.

I will not accept applications without a code. I will email you a code after you successfully submit the information to me after 9:30 PM May 12th.

"We DO NOT need applications in the same envelope" is on the application & I mean that. Do Not wait until you have all your friends together. First, get into the match. Then send me your squad requests (by email, by phone, scribbled in the margin of the application, on a post it note, etc). I will honor your squadding requests.

Please, No Priority, Overnight or Express Mail Services. No mail services that require a signature. As it says on the application: "Linda will return your check." I mean that, also.

If you are not sure yet if you can get the time off from work or other obligations, submit your information & go through the process. Last year, everyone who withdrew from the match got a full refund of match fees. Period. (even the shooters who had to withdraw the day before the match) You will lose nothing by sending in the application & check. If you do not get into the match, I will shred the check. If you need to drop off the waiting list, I will shred the check. Delaying to get your airline tickets or arrange other travel plans will mean you are not in the match.

If you are assuming you will be a sponsored shooter, you STILL need to sign-in. We had a few shooters who figured this out the hard way last year. We rarely have enough sponsor slots for all the potential sponsored shooters. The sponsored shooters will come from the original list. Typically, the sponsor agreements are reached later in the summer. I will happily refund the entire match fee once we verify your status with your sponsors.

Please email LChico@msn.com if you have any questions. Do not send me PM's on this forum, PM's on Global Village, messages on Facebook or try to Chat on Facebook. I will ignore them. If you send me an email, please include FB3G in the subject.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2010 Ft Benning 3 Gun Statistician

Edited by LChico

Email messages will go out to staff this week, inviting them back. If you were staff at the 2009 match, please let us know if your email address has changed.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Edited by LChico

Linda,

I sent in a sponsorship request, but heard nothing back. I do not intend to shoot the match nor am I looking for slots in the match, I just want to give back to the community. Do you have a break down on the sponsorship levels?

Thanks!

Linda,

I sent in a sponsorship request, but heard nothing back. I do not intend to shoot the match nor am I looking for slots in the match, I just want to give back to the community. Do you have a break down on the sponsorship levels?

Thanks!

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the generous offer! They guys who will handle the sponsorship details are currently out of the country. There may be a delay before they get back to you. I will pass on that you are trying to reach them

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Thanks to everyone who pointed out that the dates in my previous message were not clear. Also, ALL times are PM. The Ft Benning sign in process (to get a registration code for the application) will be Wednesday May 12 at 9:30 PM Eastern Time (8:30 PM Central, 7:30 PM Mountain & 6:30 PM Pacific). That is the official sign in. We will also have a test sign in.

The TEST Sign in

The “stress test” or trial sign in will be on Wednesday April 28 at 9:30 PM Eastern Time (8:30 PM Central, 7:30 PM Mountain & 6:30 PM Pacific).

Please go to http://themxtrack.com/FB3G/Test3.html. This is the TEST 'Sign in' screen. Before the test on April 28th, feel free to fill out the information and click the submit button. You will get a "form letter" email message from me within 24 hours so that you can be sure your information was properly transmitted. I will clear any information at 8:30 pm Eastern Time on April 28th, so you can practice up until then, signing in. The test screen does not have a server clock -- It displays the time on your computer. And if you are not in the Eastern Time Zone, it will NOT display Eastern Time. This ONLY applies to the test page.

The REAL Sign in

Everyone who completes the test sign in will get an email message with the link to the actual sign in page. Note that I will not accept any official sign-in on the on-line list before 9:30 PM Eastern Time on May 12, 2010. There will be an official clock on the page – it is the Server Clock and will show Eastern Time for everyone. If you go there at 6:15 PM Pacific Time – The clock on the official page will display 9:15:00 PM – because that will be the Time on the server. Don't hit the submit button on May 12th before 9:30:00 PM on the clock. The data collection is based on the server time.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

So what do i do if I haven't received a response email during this "practice" period?

I had a major match this weekend, so I am a few days behind on replies. If you DO NOT get one today, please email me on the same computer you used to test the sign in system.

About 10 people have contacted me who have not been able to sign in successfully. I am trying to track down the reason, since the sign in is a very simple computer form (php) and should really work for everyone. I am trying to see if there are any common features for the people who cannot sign in - internet browser, anti-viral software, etc.

I would rather figure this out during the test phase.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

If anyone has *any* errors or trouble with the sign-in process, please send them to me with as much detail as possible at HighLordGomer@TheMXTrack.com

Screenshots would be helpful, but as much description as possible related to what you did and how it responded would be helpful.

(Dave...yours are there)

For the stress-test tomorrow evening...

At 9:15 EDT we will be changing the server size code to not accept any submissions before 2010-04-28-21:30:00. From then until 9:30 it will give you the error, "Submitted too soon". We do want to see how it will react to 1000 or more near-simultaneous submissions, but please do not script any pumping of submissions. In addition to seeing how the server handles it, we are also interested in what is presented to you and if/what errors may be returned.

It would not hurt if each participant could have 2 or 3 browser windows open and filled out, waiting for the clock to change to 9:30. When the real time for signup comes, you don't want to do multiple windows, as multiple entries from the same IP will get you moved down the list, but for the purpose of this test it would be appreciated.

If you do have multiple browser windows up, I am also interested to know if the clocks keep up. In years past we have heard from some that the clocks as presented on different computers may have been different. A good way to check this would be to synchronize your watch to the on-screen clock at about 9:20 and see if the on-screen clock stays accurate as the magic time approaches.

If anyone gets any errors, odd results, strange behaviors, or unexplained rashes I would appreciate the details emailed to HighLordGomer@TheMXTrack.com (no pictures necessary in the event of rashes).

Depending on how it goes at 9:30, we may make some adjustments and try again at 9:45 or 10:00.

Thank you!

For the stress-test tomorrow evening...

At 9:15 EDT we will be changing the server size code to not accept any submissions before 2010-04-28-21:30:00. From then until 9:30 it will give you the error, "Submitted too soon". We do want to see how it will react to 1000 or more near-simultaneous submissions, but please do not script any pumping of submissions. In addition to seeing how the server handles it, we are also interested in what is presented to you and if/what errors may be returned.

It would not hurt if each participant could have 2 or 3 browser windows open and filled out, waiting for the clock to change to 9:30. When the real time for signup comes, you don't want to do multiple windows, as multiple entries from the same IP will get you moved down the list, but for the purpose of this test it would be appreciated.

If you do have multiple browser windows up, I am also interested to know if the clocks keep up. In years past we have heard from some that the clocks as presented on different computers may have been different. A good way to check this would be to synchronize your watch to the on-screen clock at about 9:20 and see if the on-screen clock stays accurate as the magic time approaches.

If anyone gets any errors, odd results, strange behaviors, or unexplained rashes I would appreciate the details emailed to HighLordGomer@TheMXTrack.com (no pictures necessary in the event of rashes).

Depending on how it goes at 9:30, we may make some adjustments and try again at 9:45 or 10:00.

Thank you!

I noticed last year that the later I opened a window with the clock the later the time on that clock would be- so I opened one about 10 seconds before the go-time, filled it out quickly, - voila, I got into the match. (later had to withdraw) Makes me wonder if I'd have used the first window that I opened, which was about 5 seconds behind the one I used, would I have gotten in?

I noticed last year that the later I opened a window with the clock the later the time on that clock would be- so I opened one about 10 seconds before the go-time, filled it out quickly, - voila, I got into the match. (later had to withdraw) Makes me wonder if I'd have used the first window that I opened, which was about 5 seconds behind the one I used, would I have gotten in?

You just gave away what I thought was my secret weapon. :ph34r:

You just gave away what I thought was my secret weapon. :ph34r:

I HOPE you have both practiced this MULTIPLE times on the new practice screen: New server, new clock, new programming. . .(although I am monitoring the site frequently, so I am certain the answer is "no, I have only 'practiced' once.") I would certainly not count on it working just like last year. Why do you think I do 2 full weeks of practice time?

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Edited by LChico

The return email is NOT automatically generated. It does not even automatically notify me. I have to check it frequently & manually copy email addresses & send them an email response. That is why the initial post on the Enos forum & the initial notification email I sent out BOTH say:

You will get a "form letter" email message from me within 24 hours so that you can be sure your information was properly transmitted.

The more "stuff" I have the program do (like generate automatic email notification to shooters, or to me), the greater the chance that the program will lock-up or crash when over 800 people try to hit "submit" in one second.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Edited by LChico

Out of 3 practice tries between me and my bud we managed to have a typo in 2 of them. wacko.gif

My suggestion is to take your time and look carefully before you send your e mail.....

I would sure hate to miss the match because of a stinking typo......

Thank You Linda! wub.gif

I have not received a response email either for a test run a couple of days ago. I have been unable to access the computer I sent from until now. I hope to be online here in a couple hours. Maybe things will work this time.

MLM

If anyone has *any* errors or trouble with the sign-in process, please send them to me with as much detail as possible at HighLordGomer@TheMXTrack.com

Screenshots would be helpful, but as much description as possible related to what you did and how it responded would be helpful.

(Dave...yours are there)

If I don't get in the match I will be sending you an email because there must have been an error. :roflol: