Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Timer?

rtr

I'm torn on which one to get with Brian's super special xmas deal. I don't know much about timers, I want one for training, so which should I get? What makes the IV better?

For a few extra $$$ you get the chrono feature, which is a must if you are going to load your own ammo. At best, a new Chrony will set you back about $100. PACT is equipment and they stand behind their product.

On the timer side, it does all of the shot timer stuff, plus it has a cadence feature, par time and Comstock Go.

I have one and use it alot. Gives you tons of feedback and is very versitile.

Another vote for the MKIV. It is easy to read, easy to program, and is a great training tool / chronograph. I do agree with other posters that it is NOT the best club timer due to the ease of pressing a button while running a shooter. (I did this at the last match where I RO'd a stage with my MKIV)

The Mark IV has quite a few advanced features, but the Club Timer II serves MY modest needs. It's more compact and has an ergonomic shape that turned out to be handy... fits easily into range kit, enough features to use in practice scenarios, easy to program (if you ignore the funny instructions that come with it), and is less expensive than the Mark IV. 'All depends on what you really need. :)

I have access to both,

the Mk IV has all the cool features, crono, balistic calcalator, rpm, etc, and about all I use it for is the crono, although the rpm mode is a blast to see how fast you can yank a trigger.

the club timer II is all I use for practice, its lighter, smaller, the display show the same info as the MK IV. I only wish the horn was louder.

I finally made the decision to buy the Mark IV Christmas special from Brian after a couple months of deliberating. I am very happy with the purchase. The timer gives me so much more information than I thought I would ever need, but now use. During the shopping phase I thought that the display might be too small (not the panel itself but the letter heights), but in the end this did not turn out to be a problem for me.

If you are looking for a timer for training purposes the Mark IV is it, and buy it from Brian. He has some of the best customer service I have seen in a long time.

The MKIV has the loudest damned buzzer I've ever heard. I had to put a rheostat on it just to stand using it indoors.

If you don't have a chrono, the MKIV is the only game in town. I got mine through BE too and you just won't get a better deal or better service.

The yellow timer has the loudest tone I know. It has a higher pitch that some have trouble hearing.

It would be my last choice for for a practice timer due to the limited controls.

Go with the Mark IV. It is the best. :wub:

I just make my wife say "beep" in her really high voice randomly. :D

The only problem is I draw my gun every time she yells at me. It was kind of hard to explain to that mall security guard last week!

Phil

The timer gives me so much more information than I thought I would ever need, but now use.

Can you elaborate?

The display on the MKIV (without a par time set) shows:

1) Shot Number

2) Last Split

3) Total Time

4) First Shot Time

On other timers I have used I needed to count the number of times I hit review and pay attention to when the time "rolled over" to get the number of shots to get item 1. To get item 2 I had to hit review and then do math in my head, with the MKIV the split is displayed each time you hit review. Item 3 is usually what you get right away from the other timers. Item 4 you only have to hit review once to get but the total time goes away on other timers and you have to keep hitting review being careful not to "roll over".

Other good things about this timer is the "review shot #" and the random beep set (which is not just a "random" setting, but you can set a window).

Example:

When you practice a standard 3 ipsc target, 2 shots each, mandatory reload, 2 shots each.

Prep) Set the time to random start between 3 to 7 seconds. This gives you a couple of seconds to get ready and the 4 second window that an RO is supposed to start you in after "standby"

1) LAMR, hit [Go]

2) upon start shoot the course, unload and show clear

3) look down and you know your draw time, the total time, and your last split.

4) hit [review] , [7] and the split for shot 7, or your reload will show up.

Bonus) hit review a bunch of times to see if you have consistent splits making sure your target transition splits are close to your "double tap" splits.

That's three button presses and you have all you need to know. (Note: maybe write you're best and worst down for the session so you can track your progress against previous days, weeks, months, years)

Save the button pressing for your playstation or xbox.

Save the math for helping your kids with their homework.

When you're at the range practice like you mean it and the MKIV can help you do that.

Granted there are a lot of buttons on it, but after awhile you'll want to figure them out. If not and all you do is the above exercise, you'll still spend more time practicing than fooling with your timer.

Note: I would not recommend it as a club timer. Too big, too easy to mash buttons, and more info than you normally need, but for training :wub:

OK - Sold Me - I now have two timers. I ordered a MK1V Christmas Special today from our host. I needed a chrono - now I have one.

Oh Yea - sure is nice to order something from someone who actually Listens to what you are saying... Thanks Brian. :)

I had to put a rheostat on it just to stand using it indoors.

EricW,

Would you share what else you have done to modify your MKIV? I think I read somewhere else that you put a pot on the mic to adjust the sensitivity? Do you have more specifics? These sound awesome.

Maybe start a modify your MKIV thread?

Thanks,

short_round

... I have a dremel and a soldering iron and I'm not afraid to use them.