Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

90 degree Cmore mount

caz41

I am also thinking about getting a 90 deg mount. My question is this. I have 3 pipols or however they are pronounced and am wondering if they would interfere with the site.

I've got a quinn II mount on my gun that has a 4 port hybricomp barrel, and the the lens get some comp blast on it, I have to clean my lens after 3-4 stages because it does get a little clouded. but please don't take that as a gripe, I love how the mount works and I no longer have to worry about setting the ejector/extractor/spring etc perfect for the brass to clear the mount.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thumbrest is not a *thumb rest [generic]*. It is round appx 1/2" in diameter and 5/8" long it has the C-More mount screw countersunk running down thru the center of it. It is also checkered or knurled.

Go to your local archery store and ask them for an aluminum arrow insert. You can shorten it to whatever length you like and it just attaches by running one of your screws through the hole in the center of it. When installed, it might look a little like this

post-13561-127273655067_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I am building my new open gun and decided to go with the Cheeley mount. Should the mount be level to slide or is a slight angle necessary? To add to that how far forward on the frame should it be?

Thanks!

Mounted parallel to the bore line. Mounting holes should be placed same as a Dawson mount. Quinn builds more than one mount so if you want a forward mount then check with Quinn.

Just throwing in my two cents...I just purchased the Cheeley mount. Not that I didn't think long and hard about the Quinn II but it really came down to aesthetics, I just like the style and look of the Cheeley. I'm mounting it today and going to the range tomorrow to try it out. I'll let you know how I like it...

So I am building my new open gun and decided to go with the Cheeley mount. Should the mount be level to slide or is a slight angle necessary? To add to that how far forward on the frame should it be?

Thanks!

Mounted parallel to the bore line. Mounting holes should be placed same as a Dawson mount. Quinn builds more than one mount so if you want a forward mount then check with Quinn.

Yes. I guess what I am asking is, is there a reference point I.E. the slide or bottom of the fame for position? And is there an optimum position forward or just off the slide stop? I am sorry but I have no experience with the Dawson mount as my current setup is an SVI mount.

Thanks again.

Thanks!

Yes. I guess what I am asking is, is there a reference point I.E. the slide or bottom of the fame for position? And is there an optimum position forward or just off the slide stop? I am sorry but I have no experience with the Dawson mount as my current setup is an SVI mount.

Thanks again.

If I recall correctly the Carbon SVi mount has the same 5 hole pattern ( sold my SVI sevral moths ago), shoot the Quinn guy a pm he will know for sure. I have two Quinn's both the early models. They made 3 or 4 different mounts when I got mine, high for full slides. low for tritopped and regular and forward mount, so you could get it custom to your gun, I had to send pictures of the gun to them but it fit perfect for me. My friend has a Cheely it works fine as well. Today at the match a guy said the side ways mount looked odd, I said look around your upright is out numbered 4 to 1, now which one is odd.

Today at the match a guy said the side ways mount looked odd, I said look around your upright is out numbered 4 to 1, now which one is odd.

Maybe at a local match, but you won't find that in the top 16 at the Open Nationals. Maybe 2 out of 16 use one of those sideways things, but that might even be stretching it a bit. More like 1 guy. <_<

EDITED for spelling

Edited by Chris Keen

Today at the match a guy said the side ways mount looked odd, I said look around your upright is out numbered 4 to 1, now which one is odd.

Maybe at a local match, but you won't find that in the top 16 at the Open Nationals. Maybe 2 out of 16 use one of those sideways things, but that might even be stretching it a bit. More like 1 guy.

Locally, people tend to jump on a new trend quicker than those at the top in the Nats, trying to find that magic pill, looking to buy performance. I think the 90* are great if you shoot a lot of iron sight guns. Same plane as iron so you don't have to worry about hold over.

But if you shoot Open only, then the benefits are not that significant.

I just recently purshacesed and open gun (Brazos) for a friend of mine. It had a 90 degree mount on it that was custom made by another friend. I like it alot but then again i have never shot another type of mount.

Locally, people tend to jump on a new trend quicker than those at the top in the Nats, trying to find that magic pill, looking to buy performance. I think the 90* are great if you shoot a lot of iron sight guns. Same plane as iron so you don't have to worry about hold over.

But if you shoot Open only, then the benefits are not that significant.

My reason is to reduce parallax. I would rather not have to make sighting corrections on the fly. I believe that will have a significant increase in my performance on close targets, especially those head shots with No-shoots under them. I am in no way trying to find that "Magic pill" just looking to fix an Issue I have with my current setup. How can one really know if something will work for them without giving it a try? It may be the cats ass it may be a pile-o-poo but I won't know until I give it a whirl.

Just sayin'

<-- not an Open shooter, so take this for whats its worth (not a whole lot)

I cant see a reason why you wouldnt want the angled/sideways mount over the "traditional" style out there. less hold over distance, less change in the position you hodl the gun (NPA, etc). closer sighting plane to iron sighted guns.

seems like a lot of pros for the sideways mount. What are some pros for the traditional mount?

(this is also to get some knowledge info. Im a bit curious about shooting Open, just cant afford a blaster for it right now)

What they do is reduce the amount of "mechanical offset" by moving the lens closer to the bore you don't have to hold over and the gun shoots pretty much at the point of aim through all distances. The other thing that is huge is clearing the ejection port to allow a gun to run pretty much any case and ejector/extractor tuning isn't as critical.

As to the mount choice you guys make... As far as I'm concerned, both products are top shelf. Both are more stable that the C-More mounted to it. I have a lifetime no BS warrentee on mine. Make your choice, I don't think there is a bad one.

Best,

JT

Edited by JThompson

<-- not an Open shooter, so take this for whats its worth (not a whole lot)

I cant see a reason why you wouldnt want the angled/sideways mount over the "traditional" style out there. less hold over distance, less change in the position you hodl the gun (NPA, etc). closer sighting plane to iron sighted guns.

seems like a lot of pros for the sideways mount. What are some pros for the traditional mount?

(this is also to get some knowledge info. Im a bit curious about shooting Open, just cant afford a blaster for it right now)

Corey,

I think it's a matter of what a guy is comfortable with. Taran Butlar who uses a Quinn Mount, never really liked Open because the index was an issue for him being an iron sight guy. If I was a top GM why would I want to change since I know what I shoot so well? Shooters who have yet to attain that level will see the benefit more than others who are on top of the list. They also have the money or sponsorship to tune the hell out of a gun where some of us can slap on a mount and not worry about the Smith bills. :o

Carry on...

JT

Edited by JThompson

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks again.

Mr. Thompson I know it is not your mount I decided to try but I was wondering if you could perhaps add some input on the above questions I asked of the thread?

Thanks in advance!

PM Matt on his mount, his is slightly higher than mine and I don't know if he built in any forward angle on his. This used to be done so the point of aim and impact would cross and make the gun shoot to the point of impact instead of two inches below. With our mounts, the point of aim and impact is so close we don't need to build that into the design. I don't know if Matt did on his. As to where to mount it, Matt is a Smith, or so he thinks, :P and he will be more than happy to help you.

The mounts are enough different that I would rather you go to him for critical mounting points.

Best,'

JT

Edited by JThompson

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks again.

Mr. Thompson I know it is not your mount I decided to try but I was wondering if you could perhaps add some input on the above questions I asked of the thread?

Thanks in advance!

It's really hard to help someone who is using a pirated version of my mount. I have nothing against you, but if it's who I think it is, I'll be damned if I'll reward him be helping his customers.

I'm sorry to have to say that, but there it is.

JT

LOL Fair enough sir.

Standard placement for just about any scope mount is just in front of the slide stop.

The c-more actually has the 1 deg. angle built into the scope. So anyone that's drilling the scope mount holes on an angle doesn't need to do so. There's a ton of adjust-ability in the c-more anyway so it's unneeded.

Edited by Matt Cheely

• 5 weeks later...

Does the mount hanging so far left create any holster issues?

I'm in the market for a holster and want to make sure I get one that will give me the option of using one of these mounts.

Not normally so, but if you turn your holster in like an appendix rig, you could have an issue. The Barry is more prone to this than either the CCG or Quinn.

JT