Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching between Glock and 1911

tkill12

I'm putting this here because I'm definitely a rookie and feel like this is a rookie question. If it needs moved, please do so.

I have been shooting 1911's for a couple of years now and I am just now getting to the point (mostly due to recent dry fire) that I can bring the gun up with my eyes closed and it is either on target or very close.

I recently bought a Glock 17. Not 100% what I plan to do with it yet, other than to shoot a different division in IDPA than my 1911. I have noticed that when I bring the Glock up to aim with eyes closed, it doesn't line up right for me. The front sight is always high. I'm guessing that is due to the different grip angles?

Before I start dry firing and practicing with the Glock, is this going to screw up my draw and target acquisition with my 1911? Or is it possible to learn and shoot both relatively well?

I'm putting this here because I'm definitely a rookie and feel like this is a rookie question. If it needs moved, please do so.

I have been shooting 1911's for a couple of years now and I am just now getting to the point (mostly due to recent dry fire) that I can bring the gun up with my eyes closed and it is either on target or very close.

I recently bought a Glock 17. Not 100% what I plan to do with it yet, other than to shoot a different division in IDPA than my 1911. I have noticed that when I bring the Glock up to aim with eyes closed, it doesn't line up right for me. The front sight is always high. I'm guessing that is due to the different grip angles?

Before I start dry firing and practicing with the Glock, is this going to screw up my draw and target acquisition with my 1911? Or is it possible to learn and shoot both relatively well?

Yes, it's due to the different grip angles for the most part. There's probably some influence from the different shape/profile/thickness of the frame (beavertail area), but that's not as big a deal.

I notice the difference when I switch between them, but it's not a big deal really. Practicing with either one will still refine your index left to right and that's more important (in most cases) than up or down since our targets are bigger vertically than horizontally in most cases....if you're a couple inches high or low it rarely hurts you.

I'd say just practice with both and after a while you won't think about it too much. You may notice it, but it won't be a real problem. In fact, the difference in trigger feel will likely be a bigger issue (still not a huge deal). R,

I have been going through the same thing lately. I have been primarily shooting a G34 in Production and SSP since last April when I started action shooting.

I have recently started shooting a borrowed 2011 open gun.... Talk about polar opposites.

It is definitely different going between the two, however I find that after a couple draws, it all comes back to me. I will usually draw 5-10 times at the safe area when I am gearing up. That generally gets me in the right ballpark with whatever gun i am strapping on.

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Steve_P

The grip angles do differ. But, if your shot trigger is front sight alignment on the target, practicing the draw & presentation will get you where you need to be. It may be a little difficult to shift back and forth between the two guns every week, but if you spend time with one, it'll get there. I shift between revolvers, M&P semi-autos, and sometimes a CZ-85. It doesn't take long to adjust to the different guns. My favorite "fast fix" is 15 and 25 yard Gunsite Drills, with some 10 yard Bill Drills thrown in.

Chris Christian

It all depends on how much you rely on your index (basically that you can find the target by muscle memory). When you improve, you will begin to rely on your index more and more- you will basically just use the sights to verify that your index is correct. You can shoot either as fast as you can acquire the sights, but sight acquisition will be slower since the sights won't just seem to magically "be there". There is also the trigger variation, which can cause a host of other concerns.

Bottom line, you can do it- but something will suffer, speed or accuracy.

Index is great if the target isn't more than five yards way. Beyond that, sight alignment is a help, and at 15 yards+... almost a necessity. Work some Gunsite Drills with a timer, analyze your time & score... figure out why you "screwed the pooch"... and then why you quickly tapped 2 As... continue to do the latter... and you can adjust to a new gun grip angle pretty quickly.

Chris Christian

Same here. I was experimenting going to a Glock. Tried out a G35 and shot mostly head shots. it's just like going back and forth between IDPA and IPSC. I find myself using cover in IPSC. Gives a good laugh to the guys trying to figure out what I'm doing. :rolleyes:

It all depends on how much you rely on your index (basically that you can find the target by muscle memory). When you improve, you will begin to rely on your index more and more- you will basically just use the sights to verify that your index is correct. You can shoot either as fast as you can acquire the sights, but sight acquisition will be slower since the sights won't just seem to magically "be there". There is also the trigger variation, which can cause a host of other concerns.

Bottom line, you can do it- but something will suffer, speed or accuracy.

Maybe at higher levels it makes more of a difference. At B class I can switch from one to the other with about 10 minutes of dry fire.

Same here. I was experimenting going to a Glock. Tried out a G35 and shot mostly head shots. it's just like going back and forth between IDPA and IPSC. I find myself using cover in IPSC. Gives a good laugh to the guys trying to figure out what I'm doing. :rolleyes:

Then you weren't using the sights properly ;)

I recently made the switch from a Glock 34 to my 1911's. I do this annually. :rolleyes: I typically start whining and switch back to my Glock after about two or three range sessions, because it shoots different. Really? Well no shit. Maybe that's because it is a different gun. :lol: Well, not this year. I decided to stick with my 1911 for a little bit and now I'm running it just fine. It's silly to have all of these guns and only shoot one of them, right? :lol:

Thanks for all the advice. I guess I'll see how it goes shooting both of them. I plan to shoot my 1911 in NRA action pistol matches, and may try shooting the Glock in IDPA. Maybe once I have some dry fire time under my belt with the Glock it will index more naturally.

Tom

I was a 1911 guy for the first year and a few months but decided to switch to a Glock this winter because I shoot outside a lot and the damn steel frame gets pretty cold here in Michigan. I've been having a great time shooting the Glock in SSP and production. It did take a little bit of practice to cam my wrists farther forward with the Glock but it isn't a problem anymore.

If I pick up a 1911 to shoot it takes me a few minutes of dry firing and practicing draws to get my mind back in the 1911 frame of mind. What screws me up the most is the thumb safety, or lack of one depending on which way I'm transitioning. That takes me a little while longer to remember to flip off the safety after a few months on the Glock. It always gets a few chuckles out of me when I forget. If I'm going to shoot the 1911 in an actual competition I'd make sure to start practicing a few weeks beforehand to hopefully minimize any embarrassing safety issues.

I took the glock to the range today and ran a few plate racks with it. It only took a couple of draws to get the indexing right, and the trigger didn't seem to affect my shooting at all. I think its a keeper.

I always shoot revolver (S&W 625) and just got a Glock 21 at an ICORE match of all places Saturday night, and shot it for the first time yesterday at our monthly "fun match" (USPSA style with IDPA scoring) and found everything way different, but in a good way. I'll shoot both and just need a little more trigger time with the Glock to get off the first shot quicker. Shoot whatever you got and have fun

I personally started out with a Glock 19 and then moved up to a 34. On both Glocks I had minor trigger work done to remove the slack and set the over-travel so I could get a crisp trigger pull. I have never even thought about using a 1911 until I tried two friends STI 2011 Eagle 5.0's. Shortly after that I purchased one and never looked back. I still love the Glock, however there is something to be said for shooting a 1911. For me the 1911 fits my hand a lot better and the 2011 frame angle works for me better. I also must admit that both of my Glocks were pre 4th gen so I could not change the back straps to make a better fit.

I would consider using my Glock in USPSA for the production class as I got my first taste during practice of what scoring can do to someone shooting limited 10 (minor) and not getting all A's, LOL

I'm an early fan of the 1911 and I still shoot it at an annual SS match however I have found that my Glock's don't malfunction as much. A match is not life and death but malfunctions can kill a weekend. So what started as something to shoot GSSF matches with has expanded to acceptance. 6 1911's vs 7 Glock's and 4 pesky XD's.

If you want to match up the point of the 2 guns as much as possible, the Wedge mainspring housing will get you very close to the point of a Glock. Not quite equal, but much closer than an arched MSH. Depending on how your hand fits on the gun, it boosts up the muzzle about 2x what the Arched will do. Then you can **almost** close your eyes, pick up either gun, and find the sights lined up.

If you're shooting the Glock in Ltd or Open, you can dial that gun down a hair and meet the Wedged 1911/2011 in the middle. Grinding just the thick checkering off the backstrap can help a little; an aggressive undercutting on the trigger guard followed by removing the front finger grooves brings the muzzle down noticebly.

Again, NOT in Production, removing the Glock finger grooves and taking most of the trigger-guard-corner off [in my opinion] does wonders for the handling of the gun. If you have one of those $25 Blue Guns you could try it & see if you like it.

I can only speak to my experience with this, and there are many differing opinions, but I say NO. I switch platforms regularly, and you guessed it, 1911 to Glock and back. I also shoot other guns like revolvers, .22s, M&P, and of course 2011, and I never have an issue with performance and familiarity. I always thought this was because it forced focus, you know, the trick of the day. I know both beginner and accomplished shooters that cannot do this, so I suppose some are more sensitive to it than others. There is even sometimes a lift in performance when returning to one platform or another. My opinion is that it is all aligning the sights and pressing the trigger. Holster cant, grip angle, trigger pull, and sights are not as much of an issue as everyone thinks they are. You will utlimately have to decide for yourself whether it affects your performance or not, and it likely makes a difference if you are properly shooting the current gun or not, bad habits may amplify themselves accross platforms.

Edited by fomeister