Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Future site of my pistol range

CSEMARTIN

I've been waiting years, and I think it's finally going to happen. I found some land out in the country that I plan to buy so I can set up my very own private pistol range. I've already spoken with the owner of the property to the west (to be polite) to see how he would react to my plans before I shell out the cash. He's a hunter and a shooter and was very excited about it. Just to protect myself from any disagreements in the future, I hired an attorney to research the law before I move forward.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

Speaking of legal issues!

Have you started researching the lead reclamation process or studied the EPA's handbook for range construction? (EPA-902-B-01-001 - Best Management Practices for Lead at Outdoor Shooting Ranges) I am sure you have already referenced the NRA's Range Source Book.

What a daunting, but exciting task! Have fun with it!

Cheers,

Kyle

What county is that? It might even have turkeys, maybe I should put in for a permit and show you how it's done.

Rich

Rich,

You're welcome to come down whenever you want.

It's in McDonough County. There are turkeys here. The realtor I'm working with told me the Amish (just south of the property) got in a bunch of trouble because they were using treble hooks to catch the turkeys. Maybe they could show us both how it's done. :roflol:

Great Idea Chris.

Once you have the legal hoops jumped through, there is nothing in the world like having your own range.

Here are a couple of views of my 300 Meter Silhouett range in Eastern Washington State.

CurlewPistolSilhouetteRange01.jpg

Locked gates and mile long driveway keeps unwanted shooters out. Liability is the BIG hurdle....

Of course, other than the several shooting stations I've set up on the property, we do have infeststions that need attention too.

Turkeysinourfrontyard.jpg

WildTurkeys002.jpg

DeerAtTrailer.jpg

CurlewBear01.jpg

CurlewBear05.jpg

There is also at least two mountain lions in the area..

Go for the range Chris, you will never regret it

Steve

I just heard from my attorney. He's finished his legal research and it's a go. I can set up my own range and blast away.

Now I've got to negotiate a better price for the land.....

Awesome!

Good luck on the price, but now is a very good time to buy if you can.

now is a very good time to buy if you can.

That's what I was thinking, then today, I discover the owner of the property raised the price of the lot two grand. It's been sitting on the market for almost a year! And he's claiming he spent over 10 grand to have elecricity run out to the lot.

This isn't starting off well.

By the way, does anyone know how a ravine affects the value of the property? A large majority of the property is a ravine.

• 4 months later...

Well, the deal fell through so I've kept looking. I found a 7 acre property close to my house, but I needed to extend an easement around to the back of the property in order to make things work. I called the owner of the property next to the property I was looking at and he wouldn't do it. But what I did learn is that he owns a 90 acre rock quarry ten minutes from my house, and he has been letting me shoot out there anytime I want. Then I found another property I was planning to buy. Before I made any moves, I called him up and asked if he would consider selling me a few acres of his quarry. He's been thinking about it for two weeks. The he calls me up last night to tell me that he has staked off three acres and is leaning towards selling this property to me.

You're probably right Pat. But I'm not missing this opportunity! The berm is already there, and I don't have to cut grass. Plus, I have good access to the road, there is also water and power out there if I ever decide to do something with it.

I can almost see a little shoot house right now,for when it is raining,little window rifle and pistol rest on bench just in side the wondow,,GOOD LUCK,

I can almost see a little shoot house right now,for when it is raining,little window rifle and pistol rest on bench just in side the wondow,,GOOD LUCK,

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. It would also serve as a place to store things.

With all that material and a dozer you could do multiple bays even!

The owner wants a portion of that crushed limestone. That's the final detail. Fortunately, he has agreed to help me construct berms and has a bulldozer out there already. Plus, the property is quite a bit cheaper than the original piece of land I was looking at. I figure I'm saving 9K on the land and up to 5K(?) in excavation. And this property is a lot closer to my house.