Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cell phone interferance with electronic muffs

scatterton

I have been using the cheap Harbor Freight electronic hearing protection ($20) and have been fairly happy with them. The only thing that I have found that bothers me is the interferance caused by cell phone signals when I use them. I am looking for a pair of electronic muffs that don't have the loud clicking and buzzing caused by these signals. From what I have heard from a friend who has Peltors has the same problem. Can anyone with MSA Sordin's tell me if they eliminate the problem. If they don't, there is no way I could justify spending $240, no matter how comfortable the Sordin's are.

Thanks

I have been using the cheap Harbor Freight electronic hearing protection ($20) and have been fairly happy with them. The only thing that I have found that bothers me is the interferance caused by cell phone signals when I use them. I am looking for a pair of electronic muffs that don't have the loud clicking and buzzing caused by these signals. From what I have heard from a friend who has Peltors has the same problem. Can anyone with MSA Sordin's tell me if they eliminate the problem. If they don't, there is no way I could justify spending $240, no matter how comfortable the Sordin's are.

Thanks

First, I've never heard of cell phone interference with electronic earmuffs so it will be interesting to see what others have to say on this thread.

I purchased a set of Sordin Pro's just under two years ago. I'm a little hard of hearing due to years of shooting and I needed both good protection and the ability to hear range commands. The Sordins are the best electronic muffs for my situation bar none.

And so far, no cell phone interference (or any other voices in my head, at least while wearing the muffs).

Bill :roflol:

Edited to add: I've played around with several Sprint cell phones around the house (both mine and the wife's) and my Sordins. So far so good. No interference.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

The problem isn't the earmuffs ..... it's the phones. I'll bet what you are experiancing is coming from either Nextels or Sprint phones. Not much you can do to eliminate that. I've hear those clicks and pops come through computer speakers, car radios, and any other amplified sources.

Dont know what to tell you except don't keep your earphones on max. volume. Keep your volume down just a tad, and the problem wont be as noticeable. - X

Edited by Chris Keen

My $200 Pro-Ears do the same thing when my phone is near. Solution is to keep my phone in my range bag away from me. I stopped keeping my phone in my pocket after the time my wife called me right as I got the standby command before starting a stage. It's distracting to have your phone vibrating on your leg during a stage.

Edited by jtielke

I have had the same experince with my Pro Ears.

My current phone (HTC Tilt2) isnt bad,, but the Seimens SX66 that I used to use a couple of years ago would buzz speakers on a TV that was turned off.

I usually leave my cell in the car now rather than dragging it around in my bag.

Robert

L2723

Edited by rma_38sup

I get interference with mine & it doesnt seem to matter what cell carrier it is.

I don't answer mine during the stage, I just text back a message that I'm shooting a match and in the middle of a stage and to call back later. :sight::sight:

That cell phone won't be an issue if you turn it off.

My $200 Pro-Ears do the same thing when my phone is near. Solution is to keep my phone in my range bag away from me. I stopped keeping my phone in my pocket after the time my wife called me right as I got the standby command before starting a stage. It's distracting to have your phone vibrating on your leg during a stage.

+1

FWIW, its also annoying when someone's loud ringer is going off during a stage. I put mine on silent and leave it in the rnge bag and just check it between stages. No ringing, no electronic interference, and everybody's happy.

I get interferance if its on silent, vibrate or ring. I have to turn mine completely off or calls & texts drive me nuts when wearing electronic ears. If anyone or their range bag (with a phone on in it) is within 20yds, I pick up every call or text. My buddy has an iPhone that continusouly pings for internet & it can be very distracting. I love electronic ears but I shot all last year with peltor presidential series (non electric) muffs just because of it. I bet it wont be long and filters get installed to eliminate the electronic clutter.

I get interference with mine & it doesnt seem to matter what cell carrier it is.

I don't answer mine during the stage, I just text back a message that I'm shooting a match and in the middle of a stage and to call back later. :sight::sight:

That cell phone won't be an issue if you turn it off.

I'm right there with you but,I have to have my phone on due to being on SWAT standby for my department. Where I usually have this problem is when I am assisting at the Police Academy Range. We usually have 40 to 50 students divided into groups of 15 on the line. Between all the student phones and then add in 7-10 instructor phones it's enough to make you go crazy. Just looking for some kind of relief. It's almost like using regular muffs because you have to have the electronics turned down so low or off. I think I am going to have to switch to plugs with some kind of valve system inside.

[quote name='scatterton' date='06 February 2010 - 10:31 AM' timestamp='1265473883'

I have a set of green electronic ear muffs I got at sportsmansguide.com for $15.99 on sale they don't pick up cell phone traffic, and they work well. I carry a set of peltor's but don't use them.

I apologize for being a little rude about the cell phone. I have been on call continuiously for 26 years, I work for a hospital group IT department, I'm the only DBA so I get to deal with every thing, including 7,500 nurses that don't know a mouse from a display. I put my cell in the range bag set to satisfy, aka vibrate and check it after every stage. Once my wife locked her keys in the truck and called me at a match around 10 when she got off, goes to work at 3 am so when I showed up to rescue her at 3 pm she was not a happy camper, before that I was leaving it in the trunk, along with the laptop and cell card for it and remote security id. When the help desk asks whats all that shooting I just tell them its a domestic dispute next door they do it all the time, Mr & Mrs Smith.

Most all electronics will be effected by your cellphone when you have a call or message coming in. Try having your phone lay on the desk next to your computer speakers and the same thing will happen. The first time I ran into this was once when I was recording some music on a mini disk. There would be this stupid pop every so often in the recording. Finally figured out that even when your phone checks in to the tower it will effect near by electronics, it doesn't even have to ring to get it. Look at it as an early warning system that you are about to get a call.

Terry

CocoBolo I can sympathize! IT Director for a 24x7 health care org I'm always on call.

If someone is going to get all jacked out of shape because my phone is ringing in my range bag or buzzing their electronic muffs I'm not sure I want them shooting my matches.

There seems to be a lot of people that need to be immediately available on a regular basis for the sake of their continued employement (as I am.) I don't envy the continuously on call guys at all.

I wear Pro Ears gold.

The BlackBerry I have to carry and my own Nokia don't seem to cause any buzzing issues with the Pro Ears. I put the phones up to the muff microphone to communicate.

I have had the earmuffs buzz when other phones are receiving calls though.

Good luck finding something perfect (and let us know if you do!)

I am interested to hear from other Sordin users.