Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 9mm?

Shooter32

Hello to all as i new to the site !!! I have been reading all of the great posts , but just decieded to ask a question i need help with . I am wanting a 1911 or a 2011 style pistol in 9mm to shoot ESP with . I am wanting to make a transition away from Glock's , i love my Glocks just want to try something differant . I dont want to drop $2000 or more on one but want as good as i can get for a good price . Any suggestions will help . And great to be part of a great website !!!!

There is a lot of info on this subject if you figure out the search feature.

I'm a Springfield fan but there is Kimber, Sti, Dan Wesson, Fusion, Smith and Wesson etc. I use a 9mm Springfield 1911 or a 9mm STI eagle for ESP. The eagle I got used for a good price and I think I paid 750 for my 9mm Springer used as well. They might need some work done to them as 9mm in a 1911 platform can be picky.

Hello: No need to get away from the Glocks :cheers: I shoot Glocks, 1911's and 2011's. For ESP there are two thoughts on this. With the 2011 you will have to load to 10 rounds plus 1 in the gun. With a 1911 you can use either 9 or 10 round mags. Whatever you start with you have to use for the whole match. Sometimes it is better to use the 9 round mags and start with 10. That way you finish on a target and won't have to reengage it. I think the Springfield, Kimber or STI's are worth looking at. I have shot all three of these and they work well. The new STI Spartan 9mm would be worth a look. My next ESP pistol will be a 2011 9mm with a bull barrel and shorter slide to meet the rules :devil: Hope this helps. Start saving brass now and save up for a Dillon. Thanks, Eric

Guys thanks for the quick replys !!! Lots of ones to check out .. Cory good to hear from you i am the one that talked you about the glasses at the last IDPA match .

If you want I can let you borrow either my Springer or my Eagle at the next IDPA match. I'm going to be shooting my .40 to get more trigger time for the upcoming majors.

I also have a S.A. 9mm. It is a great gun to shoot. My daughter (18 yrs old) is just getting started in this game and thats what she uses. She loves the thing. I love it too (and my daughter). Its a lot of fun to shoot. I think any 9mm 1911 would be fun to shoot. I got mine for around $700 and have not had any regrets. If I had ANY choice I may go for the STI Trojan. I have two of the .40 cal single stacks and they ROCK! I got the SA 1911 because it was a good deal. I don't regret it though.

Guys thanks for the quick replys !!! Lots of ones to check out .. Cory good to hear from you i am the one that talked you about the glasses at the last IDPA match .

If you want I can let you borrow either my Springer or my Eagle at the next IDPA match. I'm going to be shooting my .40 to get more trigger time for the upcoming majors.

great offer , this is your chance to try a single and double stack and see which one fits better....there are alot of good 9mm models out there, my wife loves here kimber, I prefer the 2011 because of the how the grip fits my hand.

Hey Cory thanks for the offer i may take you up on it at a later date . I have to much trigger time with my 17 and 34 right now to change . It is driving me crazy right now trying to deciede which one of them to shoot in the match !! I want to try and get a single action around the middle of the season to get practice time in for next year . I want to go with a 2011 if i can spare the money , they just feel better in my hand than the single stacks .Aircool i thought any 1911 had to have a bushing to be legal in IDPA?? If short slides and bull barrels are legal i really like the looks of the STI Tactical 4.15 !! I will have to read the rules again but i think bull barrels are out of the question , but i have been wrong more than once .

Edited by Shooter32

Hey guys i forgot to ask , is the Para P18-9 even worth considering?? I know they are not in the same class as the STI and others , jsut wanted to throw it out there ..

They tend to be heavy due to the steel frame. Personally I would save up for a STI.

why is the sti soartan so much cheaper than all the other sti's nearly half off of the next cheapest gun.

because it's made by Armscor in the Philippines

Edited by Quack

Thanks Cory i think that will be my best bet also , I love the STI's and i really want the 2011 frame . I like the Dan Wesson to but cant find one , also my try and find a Springer to play with till the STI money comes thru ..

Thanks Cory i think that will be my best bet also , I love the STI's and i really want the 2011 frame . I like the Dan Wesson to but cant find one , also my try and find a Springer to play with till the STI money comes thru ..

PM sent on possible Dan Wesson sightings. If you're ever in KC, I'd be glad to let you try one of mine.

Paras--I've owned 3 of them, and they cost me more to get them to run than the original cost of the gun. You COULD get lucky, and get a good one, but, just take a look at how many have been run at Nationals in the last couple of years, and that alone should be the answer.

I had a Springer, single stack in .40, and although it ran 100%, it just didn't feel right in MY hand. Your results may vary. If you live near Corey, I"d guess that if you ask him, he'll let you fondle one of his Springers.

I bought a Trojan, in .40, and liked it so much that I sold my Springer with the thought that I'd get another Trojan.

I also have an Eagle in .40 that when I bought in 2004, I sent to Dan Bedell so he could modify the grip, and trigger to match my "shorty" open gun that he built for me. It has never missed a beat, and if the bullets don't go where I want them to, it's not the gun's fault. There aren't too many loads I've tried in it that won't go under an inch at 25 yards.

I also have an Eagle in .45 to use as an IPDA, CDP, "gamer" gun, but, so far, haven't shot it enough to really wring it out. For some reason, the double stack, .45 mags seem to be fussier than any .40 mags I've ever used.

It seems that around these parts, a lot of people are going with a Trojan 9mm for IDPA, and they all seem to really like them. I'll stay with .40 so I can cross them over to USPSA, and can load them softer than I can a 9mm. :cheers: