Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian High Cap using STI Mags

01G8R

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I built two guns on Caspian high cap frames. One in 40 and the other in 9mm. I had a terrible time getting the new Caspian mags to run. After speaking with Jim via PM I did as he suggested and squeezed the mags a little. That helped, but I was still getting lots of nosedives. Using both stock springs and followers as well as Grams stuff for the Tanfoglio mags. I finally solved the problem with the simplest solution. Pure silicone spray. Take your mags apart and clean them real well. Then spray the inside of the tube, spring and follower with Pure Silicone Spray. Viola, not one more nosedive for me in the last two months (~2500 rounds). I couldn't believe that this solved my problem, but it did. The mag issue was driving me nuts and I was going to send them off to Jim to get them running, but I found the silicone spray first. I use the stuff from Ace Hardware for about $3 a can. Hope this helps.

It evaporates, similar to brake wash. Great stuff. Works good on my Dillon to keep it running without the actual oil everywhere.

If you use Safariland 568 leather holster for Production or IDPA. Spray some of silicone on the leather areas and help smooth your draw, while retaining enough tension for security.

Success!

I don't have any silicon spray but I had a silicon impregnated reel and gun cloth that I ran through the mags AND over the loaded ammo, and the mags filled up easily (usually they are very hard to load to capacity). I was able to hand cycle the gun with no nose dives. I'll try it tomorrow night at the range.

To think I've been dealing with this issue for so long and this was all that was needed is both a relief and a huge frustration at the same time. This gun has been back and forth to gunsmiths 3 times and has since sat in the safe for two years because I could never get it right.

:unsure:

Silicone spray is ok.

The only dies I use are the EGW dies and the taper crimp die from lee for each caliber.

The problem with the mags that act up on occasion= Ive found that the inside of the mag especially the back (inside) were the weld seam is needs to be polished, This is how I do it.

I got some nylon flats from msc of various widths and I wrap and tape emory paper(not sand paper)around them real tight

and start with 220 and go up to 600 grit and polish with an in and out motion.polishing in the direction the brass rolls

on the inside of the mags really helps.

I only use Grams kits the TZ ones on the new Caspian and the Eaa mags.Some mags when you look in at the back seam you can see

were the weld has stopped and started this is the spot that usually causes the mags to hic-cup.

I like to polish all the black finish off the inside of mags, cause if you have a piece of brass that has a rough edge around the base

this will snag on the finish.

On the older style caspian mags that I weld together to get 170 mags I use the STI/SVI grams kits.

I do use a foredom tool to smooth the welds out but ya got to be carefull if ya get gouges inside the mag, junk will collect

in these and cause ya problems.

Holler at me if I can help ya all.

I am working on 170 9mm mag set up for the EAA open large frame guns, this is some what difficult cause I dont have a EAA

open gun laying around to test with, so when I get one in I ask if I can use it a little to test some mags.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :D

I called Johnny yesterday to see about having the STI mag conversion done on a Caspian open gun I just bought. He said he wouldn't do it on a gun that he's not building from scratch. He said the conversion takes him about 8 hours and he'd have to charge about $1200.00 to do it. He said he'll do it for free if you're buying a complete gun from him though. I think I'll be buying a couple Caspian mags.

I called Johnny yesterday to see about having the STI mag conversion done on a Caspian open gun I just bought. He said he wouldn't do it on a gun that he's not building from scratch. He said the conversion takes him about 8 hours and he'd have to charge about $1200.00 to do it. He said he'll do it for free if you're buying a complete gun from him though. I think I'll be buying a couple Caspian mags.

:surprise: look at higher capacity.com for 29 round Caspian mags

Edited by Roy Hess

This is my favorite thread of all time. To finally get this gun running after retiring it to the safe for so long is really exciting. I've only had a change to hand cycle the gun but so far the mags are working flawlessly. I get 20 in each of them.

success.jpg

I hope it works for you when you go to the range. I was ready to junk two brand new guns because I couldn't get the mags to run, but they have been running great since I used the silicone spray. This should be the first step that anyone tries when they have problems with nosedives and Caspian mags.

I haven't had any issue with the silicone spray attracting more dirt and grit than usual, but I clean any mag that hits the ground before it goes in the gun again. I haven't polished the inside of my tubes, but on Jim's recommendation I will be doing that this week.

I was the same way. I took this gun to the local shop to put on consignment but they wouldn't take it. I've been trying to sell it elsewhere for months and I finally gave up on that and decided to work on fixing it (again).

Live fire testing tomorrow night then two matches this weekend should confirm whether or not this is permanent or not.

If the silicone attracts too much dust, try the Blaster Garage Door Lube. Same company as the can in your picture. I use GDL on my mags, but I don't have any Caspian ones yet. It drys to the touch and is made for metal and plastic.

Shot 200 rounds on Thursday night. No jams except for with the one mag I did not wipe down with silicone.

Shot a match today. No jams or misfeeds of any kind. I made sure to clean the mags that hit the dirt before using them again and made sure the ammo I was using was clean on the outside before loading it.

Edited by waktasz

whats the difference between the tz grams spring/follower and the ones for the sti grams/spring follower? becasuse if i look at the grams sitethey are pnly selling followers for sti. can anyone please show pics of the difference. maybe we can just modify the sti followers of grams instead of buying new ones.

thanks

;)

You have to call Bevin Grams and ask for the TZ spring and follower kits, they arent the same as the STI kits, the followers

are much wider, If you use the Sti type kits the follower will pop out of the mag at times.

For 40 S&W I use 1.195 oal.

If you look at some of my other posts I tell how to adjust the top of the mags to get the second round over under the top round

this is a must for reliable feeding in the TZ type mags, Caspian mags are basicly the same and are made by the same folks.

Jim/Pa

Sailors

• 4 years later...

Perhaps a thread resurrection here. I am looking at a Caspian gun that has a Caspian Upper and Lower, with a corbon 400 barrel in it. It has three or 4 Caspian high caps, bomar/fiber optic sights. Anyone know who may have put together a 400 corbon factory looking wide body?

Also, there are some solid film lubricants (SFL) products that spray on an dry like Teflon. I just saw a new one at Grainger. These are pretty slick and don't collect a lot of fouling and debris.