Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian High Cap using STI Mags

01G8R

Has anyone modified the Caspian High Cap to accept STI mags? I understand Limcat has done this, but I'm looking to see what is involved from anyone that has done it. I'm not opposed to using the Caspian mags, but I already have SVI 9mm and STI 40 mags. I'm going to build two new guns on Caspian frames. One in 40 and one in 9mm. I would like to be able to use the S_I mags I already have. Thanks.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello 01G8R,

A STI/SV/SPS mag tube measures roughly .935" wide. A Caspian mag measures .845" wide. I don't think it would be feasible or economical to try. Even if one could open up the frame to that size, a new trigger bow would have to be fabricated.

from facebook

The Limited/Standard Gun of the Comeback Not a kid anymore Limcat/Caspian sponsored Living legend Jethro Dionisio..The Wildcat TSC .40 Caliber. USPSA Limited 22+1 and IPSC Standard 19+1. Using a CR Magazines with Bolen internals.. The gun shoots and feels almost as soft as a 9mm minor...A Promise!!!

post-5872-126523952199_thumb.jpg

Thanks. I've seen a Limcat with a Caspian frame that uses S_I mags.

http://digitallowdown.net/clients/limcat/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/caspian-SV-mags.jpg

http://digitallowdown.net/clients/limcat/new-limcat-with-caspian-frame-uses-stisvirht-magazines/caspian-sv-mags

It looks like it has a STI trigger. Just wondering what is involved from anyone that has done it. I don't have my Caspian frames yet so I haven't had a good look at what is involved. Thanks.

My question is "If a STI type mag is used in the Caspian frame, how does it fit into a hole that is too small for the mag?" Is the frame some how widened by means of cutting and welding material to it to make it wider? I know that my Caspian high cap frame is not wide enough.

My question is "If a STI type mag is used in the Caspian frame, how does it fit into a hole that is too small for the mag?" Is the frame some how widened by means of cutting and welding material to it to make it wider? I know that my Caspian high cap frame is not wide enough.

Yeah, sounds like some metal is removed:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=259439

I have a good friend who uses nothing but STI mags in his Caspian frame, they work flawlessly in it. He can use my STI mags or anyone elses. Don't know how or why, but it works well for him.

Gmantwo was nice enough to put me in contact with his friend that is using the STI mags. After some conversation he told me that he is using Para frames with the STI mags. So I'm back in search of how Limcat modifies the Caspian frame to work with STI mags.

Not sure how it happens, due to the significant difference in mag size. I contacted Limcat and inquired about getting his modification to a new Caspian frame, as I am wanting to try my hand at putting a new gun together. Mr. Lim replied that he would not modify a frame, due to the cost involved (none quoted), that he would only do a complete gun build for someone wanting the frame to use S_I type mags.

He stated that he may begin manufacturing an investment cast frame that would already contain that conversion if there was enough interest in the shooting world.

A gunsmith would have to chime in to this to see if its worth the conversion

and the risk to the frame. Building a new gun would be worth the time

and money for a gunsmith to do it. That makes sense and I agree with Mr. limcat.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

I took a few minutes today to checkout some Caspian frames, to use S_I mags in the Caspian frame the inner walls of the frame would need about .045" removed on both sides. This would leave almost .060" left, the big problem I see is when you have to cut the trigger track wider. It would need to have .052" taken off of each side, this would leave less than .015" left in the side wall of the frame. One frame I measured would have only .010" left. With the stresses of shooting I believe the frame would crack at some point.

On it's face it sounds like a neat mod, but what I would charge to do this would equal the cost of about 8 new Caspian/Tanfoglio mags. My hats off to Limcat for figuring out this mod but it seems unwarranted when mags are readily available for the Caspian frame.

Rich

:surprise:

As many Caspians as I do ,I think that doing this mod to use S-I mags is a horrible

waste of time, Like RIID said the cost would be pretty high in time and their is just to

many mags available that are top quality to use.

jim/Pa

Sailors ;):D

why bother using a Caspian frame when S_I frames with metal grips are available!

An STI standard widebody frame with metal grip is going to run you just under $1,000.00 while retail on a Caspian with the parts kit is just over $400. Also, for folks with smaller hands they may find that a Caspian widebody frame fits them better. Or, the added weight of the steel grip may help some folks with how the sight tracks.

Just a few possibilities.

Chris

prior to the expiration of the "assault weapons" ban, when no one was able to manufacture new high -capacity magazines (of any caliber), I can see it making sense to modify a forster frame so you can take advantage of your existing inventory of S_I magazines.

Now that caspian's making their own 18 round .40 magazine, not sure that i see much of a need to make this work, but if you've got a bridgeport and some spare time then why not. at the very least, a cool fabrication project.

-jaredr

According to RIID and my measurements on the modification,

after you are done with the mill on the frame, it will be THIN!

question is how long will it last? Caspian had the problem

on thin frames for the 1st generation frames and now by doing this,

you will thin out the grip area. Like I said it would just be a collection

and a neat project to do to add to your gun toyz! we'll see...

I took a few minutes today to checkout some Caspian frames, to use S_I mags in the Caspian frame the inner walls of the frame would need about .045" removed on both sides. This would leave almost .060" left, the big problem I see is when you have to cut the trigger track wider. It would need to have .052" taken off of each side, this would leave less than .015" left in the side wall of the frame. One frame I measured would have only .010" left. With the stresses of shooting I believe the frame would crack at some point.

On it's face it sounds like a neat mod, but what I would charge to do this would equal the cost of about 8 new Caspian/Tanfoglio mags. My hats off to Limcat for figuring out this mod but it seems unwarranted when mags are readily available for the Caspian frame.

Rich

Maybe hardened the frame after?? if you really want it bad!

In Open there would be no capacity or functional advantage as the internal dimensions of the Caspian are the same as the internals of the 9mm/38super SV mag. They both have smooth [no ridges] sides so 9mm Major would not need a spacer in back.

There would be a capacity advantage in Limited as the Caspian is still the same width in 40 as it is in 9mm and so has to stack the rounds more one-on-top-of-the-other vs SV mags. The RHT mags they show on the Limcat add another round or 2 to the SV because they stack even wider than an SV.

BUT - I don't know how you wouldn't call that modified S_I-mag-accepting gun a Prototype. Anyone call Mr. Amidon?

Also you have 2 of the best Caspian Hicap gunsmiths on this thread already tell you why it's a bad idea. Get Derek @ Millennium to comment and it would be unanimous. Cheap - maybe. Smart - probably not.

Someone use the Tanfoglio/Witness magazine on Caspian....

Once the top of the mag is modified to fit into the frame they work great. Caspians have an internal mag stop, the top right corner of the Tan. tube needs to be lower so it will lock in.

Rich