Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian High Cap using STI Mags

01G8R

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:surprise:

TZ/EAA have a 170 mag that will work in Caspian hi cap= you have to contour the top of the

mag to fit up in the Caspian frame, if ya do this dont mess with the mag catch hole

except to clearance it for the mag catch dont move it up or down.I believe they cost 99.00

put gramms TZ spring and follower kit in the and you have 29 round mag.

TZ/EAA mags are made by the same company that make the new Caspian mags ,Caspians :bow:

slick base pads will fit the TZ 140 type, the 170 is long enough that you cant use

anything but the base pad that it comes with or one that is like it.Ive been using

the TZ mag long before Caspian came out with the new ones, My forty limited Caspian

is of the older round trigger guard series Ive had it for a lot of years and shoot the heck

out of it.

Jim/Pa

Sailors ;):D:devil:

I use Henning"s competition mags with the top of the mag modified a little to fit the frame. With Henning's base pads i can get 20 (40s) for my first mag and 19 reloadable. These mags come with Grams springs and followers have been 100%

Edited by hdgun

If im not wrong the winner of the last WS XV Travis Tomasie in Bali used the EAA mag in a Caspian .40...

Travis is the one who turned me on to the EAA mags. again, with tuning the top of the mag, they are 100%. The new Caspian 40 mags did not work in any of my 3 Limited 40 HiCaps.

If im not wrong the winner of the last WS XV Travis Tomasie in Bali used the EAA mag in a Caspian .40...

Travis is the one who turned me on to the EAA mags. again, with tuning the top of the mag, they are 100%. The new Caspian 40 mags did not work in any of my 3 Limited 40 HiCaps.

Can't wait to try some...

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i love it! I love it! should of been done 10-15 years ago, but... now that you can get caspian mags an eaa mags seems like a wasted effort.

The new Caspian 40 mags did not work in any of my 3 Limited 40 HiCaps.

:rolleyes:

It takes very little tweaking to get the new Caspian mags to work,The 38 super new style have been working for me very well,

some of the problem is the mag catch, some folks have whittled on them and they dont hold the mag in tight so it flops

around and causes problems.

The barrel fit in a Caspian frame is critical, sometimes depending on the barrel you have to whittle some off the barrel

or frame bed to get the barrel down so the round has a less friction prone travel to get up in the barrel.Its a piece of

cake to do if ya understnad the geometry of the guns, I know some guys have come close to loosing their minds fooling

with stuff sometimes to thepoiint they ruin the gun. :sight::blink:

jim/Pa

Sailors :P

I have 2 Caspian hi-caps. 1 in .40 and 1 in 9mm. they run the new Caspian mags great. It took some fooling with the followers so they would not lock open with 1 round in the mags. Had the same issue with S_I and Para frame based guns. Use Arrendondo followers in the .40 and get 20 reloadable and in 2 of the mags 21 plus chambered round for a 22 round start.

• 3 months later...

Can someone let me know which EAA or Tanfo mags you are using in your Caspians?

I have an awesome Caspian 6" gun that flat out will not run with the Caspian .40 magazines when they are full. I shot it today and it makes a great L-10 gun,but if I put 16 or more in the mag I get nasty nose dives every time. Happens in all 4 of my mags. Two are brand new. Two have grams springs and followers.

Can someone let me know which EAA or Tanfo mags you are using in your Caspians?

I have an awesome Caspian 6" gun that flat out will not run with the Caspian .40 magazines when they are full. I shot it today and it makes a great L-10 gun,but if I put 16 or more in the mag I get nasty nose dives every time. Happens in all 4 of my mags. Two are brand new. Two have grams springs and followers.

After reading this entire thread a lot of Caspian shooters are using Hennings mags for their Caspian 40s with a slide mod to clear the Caspian frame over insertion stop.

KC did quite well with his Caspian and S_I mags, The frames are holding up well, seems the Caspian mags or the Tanfo mags just are not reliable enough.

I know of a GM who tried for many months to get a set of mags to run in his New Caspian Open Pistol with no success last year, he just gave up. He must have went thru 20 tubes.

KC did quite well with his Caspian and S_I mags, The frames are holding up well, seems the Caspian mags or the Tanfo mags just are not reliable enough.

I know of a GM who tried for many months to get a set of mags to run in his New Caspian Open Pistol with no success last year, he just gave up. He must have went thru more than 20 tubes.

:surprise:

Its not a problem to tweak the Caspian forty mags to work , the Eaa/TZ mags are the same except for the very top of

them. 9mm mags are available from Eaa and its an easy but time consuming process to weld two of the 9mm mags together and get a 170.

Ive got some of the new style 9mm EAA mags coming and Im going to make a jig to hold them straight to weld em up.

these not only should work well in Caspian Hi-Cap but in the large frame open gun of the EAA variety.

Like I said in a previous post the slick new Caspian quick release mag pad works on the the EAA/Tz mags just fine.

I have found that folks (some) who have sent me their mags have messed them up by raising the mag catch slot to get them into

the Caspian frame, this ruins the mag= Caspian Hi Cap frames have raised areas towards the top of the frame where the mag sets

to guide the mag up in place. Ive had a couple frames that havebeen widdled on in this area also,its a hard fix to correct

this.

Travis T mags are from the Act folks who make Caspian and EAA/TZ mags , Travis ,Alan Meek and myself had a lot of input on the mags

that are currently used by Caspian. Ive got a bunch of EAA 40 mags that Ive been using for a longtime in my Caspians.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :sight:

I will start with some extra power springs for my mags and probably look into getting one of those push through sizer gizmos.

My gun makes a great L10 gun but the rounds just don't come out of the mags at the right angles when full and nosedive.

Waktasz,

Which Grams followers are you using?

Beven makes a Tanfoglio follower which is slightly different than the STI follower.

Alan

Also, are you using the "Enos bend" on the mag spring? I've found that to help even with STI/SVI mags.

Chris

Waktasz,

Which Grams followers are you using?

Beven makes a Tanfoglio follower which is slightly different than the STI follower.

Alan

Also, are you using the "Enos bend" on the mag spring? I've found that to help even with STI/SVI mags.

Chris

What is the "Enos bend" on the mag spring???

Not a good Idea to be bending the grams springs like the STI or Sv that brian has a post on, just not the same thing. :sight:

Ya need to get the second round over under the top round, the second round in the mag supports the top round, if the second round

is off to one side the top round will nose dive.

Take to pieces of round plstic 1/4" in dia tape these two pieces into the groove at the top of the mag, then take a small clamp

with two piecesof wood cut the same width as the mag and clamp these two pieces of wood to the front and back of the mag.Dont put

any more pressure onthe clamp than it takes to hold the wood strips in place.

Put the mag with this set up attached to it in a vise and squeeze the top of the mag together while watching the second round(go slow!)

when it moves over under the top round some release the pressure and note if the second round has moved more under the top round thanwhen ya started,

keep doing this till you have the second round prettymuch under the top round, thenput three rounds in the mag repeat and then four rounds

and repeat. check how your mag feeds now with no recoil spring in the gun, when ya have it right the round should go into battery with just thumb pressure

on the back of the slide.Only do this with a gramms follower andspring set upif ya do this with the stock follower you will bend heck out of your

mag and ruin it.

Jim/Pa :D

Sailors