Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith who knows competition guns

Corey

Yes, another one of these, haha. Im looking for a reputable gunsmith who has done work for competition guns. I know most smiths could do the work I will want for the future, but Id really like one versed in competition guns, both building and tuning. I live in Fort Wayne, and if the smith is worth it, Id be willing to drive a couple hours to drop off guns needing work. North half of IN, an hour or so into southern MI, or Northwestern OH.

Thanks!

IM trying to avoid shipping guns. Id much rather drop them off and talk to the person first hand.

Couple guys I work with know Neil. Does he handle of a lot of competition guns? That is one I may have to look into, only about a 45 min drive from my house.

IM trying to avoid shipping guns. Id much rather drop them off and talk to the person first hand.

Couple guys I work with know Neil. Does he handle of a lot of competition guns? That is one I may have to look into, only about a 45 min drive from my house.

He's got what I'd call competition guns shown in the photos section of his website... And he knows what IPSC is so I'd trust him. I don't have any personal experience with him but might have to see if he can throw some snake skin serrations on one of my single stacks :)

Is Ben Hoffman (BCHN Custom) still taking work? He's in Cincinnati, IIRC, and folks here on the forum have expressed good results from him... I shot with him at the 2007 Nats - seemed like a nice, stand up guy, and his gun ran well, so... ;)

ETA - somehow, I thought OH was included in that list... sorry... :lol:

Edited by XRe

Neil Keller is your man. He knows how to build race guns and is, in my opinion, one of the best. He built my 6" 38 Super that I shoot (rather, when I shoot) in Bianchi.

Corey - Neil is located just northeast of Decatur. Depending on where you are in The Fort, he's an hour or less away. He's very personable, used to shoot Open, and was the Area 5 USPSA Director for a number of years.

Havent seen him in years. I think he's busy gettin' ready for the Bianchi Cup.

Ben showed up at a steel match @ MRPC last summer. He had two guns for sale one limited and one open gun. I of course had no idea who he was but looked him up on the web after all the hoopla with him showing up at the match.

Is Ben Hoffman (BCHN Custom) still taking work? He's in Cincinnati, IIRC, and folks here on the forum have expressed good results from him... I shot with him at the 2007 Nats - seemed like a nice, stand up guy, and his gun ran well, so... wink.gif

ETA - somehow, I thought OH was included in that list... sorry... laugh.gif

Ben is still doing custom and repair work. Ben builds all competition guns and he is a GM in open. Ben has built all my open/limited guns. He is about 4 hours from FT Wayne.

What work are you looking to get done ???

Not sure at the moment. I have thought about buying an STI pistol and having some work done to it (trigger job, replacement parts fittin, etc). I talked with Matt Cheely a little bit about a custom build so that is in the back of my head now as well...