Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Warning Federal 115gr should not be used in a 929

While test firing a 929 for a friend who sent along two box's of Federal 115 grain 9mm ammo, I ejected a moon clip after one misfire and found two rounds where the bullets had pulled out from the case.  When I returned home I pulled a few bullets and found a noticeable difference in the amount of force required to pull them, this in addition to the limited contact area with the case indicates this ammo should not be used in a revolver. The potential for a bullet to slide into the barrel and be followed by a fired round would be problematic.

The potential for a bullet to slide into the barrel and be followed by a fired round would be problematic.

Not possible. The round aligned with the barrel went boom and provided the energy to pull the other rounds.

It can lock up the cylinder if it protrudes enough to stick out the front of the cylinder. I had to push one back into a 38 special case for a customer this week.

2 hours ago, mchapman said:

I use a 38 short colt roll crimp as my last stage, reloading 9mm or short colts. No bullet creep.

I had bullet creep using my Dillon dies with my crimp set to .357.  I switched to a Lee Factory Crimp die set with my crimp set at .358 and no problems at all now.

P7160002.thumb.JPG.2607c2c97b26013cc27de1f12f104e06.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Federal (particularly the "FC" headstamp) and Blazer are both thin-walled as far as 9mm cases go. I've pulled all of the FC brass out of my pile - even reloading oversized coated lead and using a Lee FCD, I couldn't get enough tension on the bullet to stop it from sliding into the case when checking the size with a pair of calipers. I mean... yikes.

Blazer is not as bad. It will load up oversized 9mm lead bullets without issue, but I did run afoul of it when loading some frangible 100gr bullets recently. Not sure how it would do with FMJ's.

I'm familiar with the U-die and I'm currently using the Lee die. For right now, it's easier to pull the FC brass and run everything else as I'm hand-sorting range pickup brass. Still, I could toss one of those EGW's in and not have to worry about it. Ah, spending... 

Why couldn't I get into a cheaper sport, like jousting or automotive racing?