Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 cases

wbkr68

9 minutes ago, StuckinMS said:

Just watch for the "glock" fired stuff.  You can use a Redding carbide push through die to fix the glock fired stuff tho. Don't throw it away. Other wise as long as it is brass, no need to sort.

Not bad advice. 

But ive never sorted a piece of “glocked” brass out, and I shoot brass from LEO ranges (90% Glock fired).

I run an EGW U die, and very rarely have one fail case gauge. 

I use a lee

Just now, Ssanders224 said:

Not bad advice. 

But ive never sorted a piece of “glocked” brass out, and I shoot brass from LEO ranges (90% Glock fired).

I use a Lee undersize carbide die and have had some that would not plunk and spin.  I bought the Redding grx carbide push through die and haven't had that issue since.  I am lucky enough to have the police chief let me know when they are set to qualify so I can clean the range.  Wouldn't want them to trip and fall on that brass stuff lol

2 minutes ago, StuckinMS said:

I use a lee

I use a Lee undersize carbide die and have had some that would not plunk and spin.  I bought the Redding grx carbide push through die and haven't had that issue since.  I am lucky enough to have the police chief let me know when they are set to qualify so I can clean the range.  Wouldn't want them to trip and fall on that brass stuff lol

Yea, don’t get me wrong, your setup is great.  Pushing them through the Redding is a good step. 

Ive just never needed to after the EGW.  I do turn the noses of my sizing dies though, so that I size about .040” further down the case. 

1 minute ago, Ssanders224 said:

Yea, don’t get me wrong, your setup is great.  Pushing them through the Redding is a good step. 

Ive just never needed to after the EGW.  I do turn the noses of my sizing dies though, so that I size about .040” further down the case. 

Cool!  I wish I had a lathe to do that.  It is a much simpler process, but I now have about 20,000 cases and all of them have been fired through my gun, so I just sell the picked up brass and use the $ for boolits .  That extra .040 you get is awesome! 

I've just started running .40 on my 650 using range brass. I've never sorted brass before and didn't this time. No issues with the .40, but watch for nested 9mm cases. They weren't an issue when I was loading on a 550, but caused issues in the case feeder on the 650. Watch for 10mm cases also.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:22 PM, Ssanders224 said:

Not bad advice. 

Same thing with me.

I find that I have pretty much none of the common issues found in 9mm brass. 40SW is just much easier to reload because there is so little variation in the brass, no crimped primers, no taper, etc. As much as I'd rather shoot 9mm, I'd rather reload 40  over 9mm every single day.

I run mine through a case pro.  Aside from the obvious alum and steel cases, I would try to watch out for the crimped Federal cases.  I run across one every now and then and even with the swedge stage on the 1050, they still don't take normal primers.