Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any 40 Super 2011 Guru's here?

Descartian

I'm looking at a STI 2011 longslide build with a 5 chamber 7 port comp. 

My smith has come back saying that there are feeding issues with the 40 Super and 2011 frames.  Most likely magazine related. 

Ive seen quite a few older STI's in 40S that supposedly run fine. 

Any trick to get them running reliably?

Edited by Descartian

If you mean 40 S&W, the answer is no.  I run two 40sw Open guns and have zero magazine related problems.  I own STI tubes with Grams guts, 1st gen Infinity tubes with Grams or TTI guts, and MBX mags.  I have no problems with OALs from 1.126" to 1.80".  The MBX 140 and 170 mags are what I use for matches, plus one Infinity big stick.

I use Rainier plated TCs, X-Treme plated RNFPs and MG JHPs.  I have no feeding issues with any of these bullet profiles.

I'd recommend the MBX mags.  STI mags have thinner, weaker feed lips and you have to tune them fairly often.  Not so with MBX.  They run fine right out of the box, although you should condition the springs first.  No other tweaking is necessary.

40 super is all but dead, you'd be putting a bunch of money into a gun and kinda be stuck with an oddball. However no idea why it wouldnt function fine,  havent heard any feed issues with 357 sig and its a very similar design. 

Yes I mean 40 Super. For those unaware it's a 45 winmag shortened and necked down to 40 cal. Similar in dimensions to a 45acp necked down to .40. 

It is an oddball cartridge but my intentions are not for a competition pistol but a hunting pistol, that's the reason for going with a 6" longslide and the larger comp. I'm not worried about ammo as this will not me a high round count pistol. It's more of a fun project, I just want it to run. 

8 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

If you want to hunt, just get an STI Hawk in 10mm and be done with it.  

The hawk isn't made in a 10mm, the nitro is though (it appears to have been removed from their website though?).

I think a 10mm would be an easier solution, but 40 super would be more gnarly. Is the extra 100-150fps worth the expense of having to build a custom gun in an oddball caliber? I'm not sure. 

I think the issue is basically charting new ground. Probably not enough out there been built for anyone to say it would or wouldnt run. Would it use a 45ACP breach face and mags ? If it didnt run yo would only be out a barrel. Could swap it out for a 45 and make a bowling pin gun

On 12/15/2017 at 11:55 PM, Descartian said:

I'm looking at a STI 2011 longslide build with a 5 chamber 7 port comp. 

My smith has come back saying that there are feeding issues with the 40 Super and 2011 frames.  Most likely magazine related. 

Ive seen quite a few older STI's in 40S that supposedly run fine. 

Any trick to get them running reliably?

Why

On 12/27/2017 at 7:22 PM, tmz said:

You just need to use the spacers like the 9mm ones in the magazine that will cure your feeding problem.  Another good wildcat cartridge to consider is the 9 x 25 

Definitely not going to work. My factory loaded 40s&w ammo is 1.116, my factory 10mm is 1.250 and 40Super is 1.253. I wouldn't be able to load 40 super amo in a mag with the spacer. 

40 Super brass is the same length as 10mm so your COAL should be the same as 10mm Auto. Having never built or shot a 40 Super 2011 (only Glock conversions) I would think the only challenge is feedlip geometry. However, the conversions I have seen (Glock) were just a drop in barrel that required no modifications to magazines. What feeding issues is your smith encountering? Is he postulating future issues or actually running into feeding problems? It is essentially a necked down 45 ACP (the parent case is a 45 Winmag for length).

Edited by 858

On 12/17/2017 at 5:40 AM, Joe4d said:

40 super is all but dead, you'd be putting a bunch of money into a gun and kinda be stuck with an oddball. However no idea why it wouldnt function fine,  havent heard any feed issues with 357 sig and its a very similar design. 

Actually the 357 sig is a hard round to feed. I had over 8 pistols in this caliber and the sigs all did fine the full size Glocks did as well. (31 and 32) the 33 not so much. Guns converted from 40SW  like a Browning Highpower no joy too. The bottle neck round tends to nose dive unless you have strong magazine springs.

5 hours ago, Joe4d said:

you reload for it ? always wondered if it was a pain in rear or not.

It's no different than making 357 Sig brass. 40 Super is trimmed 45 WinMag brass that is then sized in a 45 Super sizing die. 357 Sig is 10mm Auto(SP) brass trimmed and sized in a 357 Sig sizing die.