Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

e3 data

Mountbkr

I've read everything I could find but since you can't search anything with 2 digits, i.e. e3, could I bother everyone using e3 to post their load data here. .40 cal, 180 gr, 1.18 oal major PF is the target load.

Thanks in advance.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M, I don't load to 1.180", but here is my load anyway.  Mixed brass, CCI 500, 3.6gr e3, 180 poly coated @ 1.126" OAL.  172PF.  If I use a poly bullet coated with HiTek coating I have to go to 3.7gr to make the same 172PF.  You will have to up the charge a tad when you go to 1.180", but not as much as you think since e3 is a fast powder.

12 hours ago, Mountbkr said:

Hmm, didn't know you could do that, thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ALWAYS more effective than a site's search engine.  Just click into a thread to make sure you have root address. ;) 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think you will need that much rowdy.  KKM barrels are generally fast and you really only need 172PF.  I used 3.6gr or 3.7gr e3 under 180s, depending on bullet for 172.  OAL was 1.126"  Barrel was my 5.1" CZ TS barrel.

Thirteen round string yielded two just below of and an average fps that was 166.5pf with 4.0 grains.

Fourteen rounds of 4.10 again yielded two just below of and a fps average for 168.5pf. Just too close for me. 

Going with 4.20.

Yep, it looks like for my set up 4.20 is the amount of E3 I need to be sure I'm gonna make major with a decent confidence level.

So far in this gun with the same bullet and other stuff the same I've needed 4.8 of WST, 4.4 of Titegroup or 4.20 of E3 to make major and not sweat it.

I can't believe you had to use so much e3.  Fast powders must behave differently when the OAL is lengthened.  With my 40 Open guns I don't have to add anywhere near 0.5gr more of Silhouette or WAC when I go from 1.126" to 1.180".

With Zero 180gr fmj's, at 1.185", I used 4.5 gr e3 to just make 170pf.  This was with a rifle primer.  4.6grs was used if shooting a major match.  All out of a 5" SV.

Charge weights are similar to Clays and less than Titegroup to make same pf.

5 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Yep, it looks like for my set up 4.20 is the amount of E3 I need to be sure I'm gonna make major with a decent confidence level.

So far in this gun with the same bullet and other stuff the same I've needed 4.8 of WST, 4.4 of Titegroup or 4.20 of E3 to make major and not sweat it.

Just a shot in the dark But I assume a lot of the data posted here showing lower charge weights are with coated lead and shorter lengths. How consistent is that load?

Edited by 858

My Major loads were very consistent.  With 180gr lead TC bullets the SDs for three separate strings (10, 10 & 20) were 6.05, 6.17 ans 6.50 respectively.  Using BBI 180 coated the SDs were 7.40, 7.48 and 7.95 (10, 10 & 20 shot strings).  Falcoated bullets and Premier bullets were the same as BBI, give or take a few decimal places.  OAL was 1.126".  

On 10/13/2017 at 6:17 PM, zzt said:

I can't believe you had to use so much e3.  Fast powders must behave differently when the OAL is lengthened.  With my 40 Open guns I don't have to add anywhere near 0.5gr more of Silhouette or WAC when I go from 1.126" to 1.180".

ZZT, it's the lead.  They are larger in diameter and obturate better, letting less gas by, accelerating the pressure curve.  It's normal for lead to need a few tenths less powder than plated or jacketed to get to the same velocity.