Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinner Front Sight (.095) For USPSA....?

chaserracer

Just curious as to everyone's experience or opinions on using a thinner front sight for USPSA competition. I just recently switched my Dawson sights out that were .115 x.160 and got the Henning F/O front sight that appears to be .095 x .180. The Dawson sights on both of my Tanfos came loose quite often even with lock-tight and the microscopic allen screw kinda drove me crazy...

So far in dryfire and with the limited live fire practice Ive had with the Henning sights im really liking the added visibility the thinner sight allows without covering up the whole target at longer distances and with harder partial target arrays.

I haven't shot a match with them yet so that will obviously be the deciding factor but i was just curious as to what you all thought, or if anyone's tried something similar.

Edited by chaserracer

I have been shooting OPEN for the past ten years, but recently shot a fellow shooter's .40

STI with a 0.08" front sight, and a fiber optic knob on the front sight.

Nice and thin, didn't hide anything, but stood out with the FO, and it looked all the world,

to me, like the dot on my Open gun.

If I were to get back into metal sights (unlikely at 72 years old) I'd definitely stick a 0.08"

FO front sight on my gun   :) 

I tend to like the wide front sights. I have been using the EGW F.O front sight at .125 width, with the EGW jumbo headed F.O. insert, which is as wide as the sight blade. I tried both red and green, and feel I can see the green better. For normal IPSC ranges,  the majority of shooting, with my aging eyes, I feel the large dot is faster to pick up on. For slower and more deliberate shooting, such as 50 yard standards, the smaller dot and blade might be a little better.

Everyone's eyes and brain is different.  I tried Henning's thinner sight some years back. For whatever reason it really slowed me down, I did not like it. Of course I destroyed the factory sight getting it off. Had to trade someone the Henning sight for a stock one, that was an expensive lesson. 

• 2 weeks later...

Personally... I'm a big fan of .090" width front sights.

Conceals less of the target at 25+ yd.

True, if you're running a .150" rear notch meant for a .125" front on a Glock, the sight picture gets pretty sloppy. But coupled with a rear notch that's a pinch narrower, they're a great setup. I'm fond of the front post being half the (visual) width of the rear notch.

Edited by MemphisMechanic