Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 Rockcastle Pro Am - August 18-20

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wanted to offer a suggestion to the Rockcastle folks. For the AM match would you consider posting the order of walking the prize table at checkin?  That would help determine if I stick around or leave following the match. I have about a 4 hour drive so that could save me an additional night in the hotel. I'm sure others are in similar situations. Thanks 

Edited by Blue Jacket

1 hour ago, Blue Jacket said:

Just wanted to offer a suggestion to the Rockcastle folks. For the AM match would you consider posting the order of walking the prize table at checkin?  That would help determine if I stick around or leave following the match. I have about a 4 hour drive so that could save me an additional night in the hotel. I'm sure others are in similar situations. Thanks 

Last year I posted the prize table order as soon as the last shot was fired in the Amateur match.  I plan to do that again.  I do not want to post at check-in because I remove no-shows and DQ's from the list before I post it.

25 minutes ago, IainC said:

I have a question about gear for the match.

I only have a SERPA style holster, can I use this or like other matches is it not allowed?

What pistol are you running? I may have a holster you can borrow.

On 8/2/2017 at 9:19 PM, Jlk said:

When are the stages descriptions going to be posted?

Rifle out to 500 yards.

At least one jungle run of 30+ shotgun rounds.

Roughly 20 slugs.

Round count min of 200 rds per gun. 

Beyond a few tidbits like that.  Stage descriptions rarely do you a whole lot of good online, it doesn't show you much that is relevant before you actually get to see the stage on the ground in person.

I would say, be sure to bring a good rifle zero.

Edited by Vespid_Wasp
Correction

8 hours ago, heaman said:

What pistol are you running? I may have a holster you can borrow.

Thank you for the offer.

I have not finalised the pistol I'm borrowing, so have multiple holster options, but they're all the same model of serpa. 

On 8/4/2017 at 10:44 PM, Vespid_Wasp said:

Rifle out to 500 yards.

At least one jungle run of 30+ shotgun rounds.

Roughly 20 slugs.

Round count min of 200 rds per gun. 

Beyond a few tidbits like that.  Stage descriptions rarely do you a whole lot of good online, it doesn't show you much that is relevant before you actually get to see the stage on the ground in person.

I would say, be sure to bring a good rifle zero.

200 rounds minimum per gun averages out to 28 rounds per gun for each stage for Am and 25 rounds/stage for Pro.  Are the stages really going to be that big, and will there be a max time for the stage?

21 hours ago, twodelta said:

200 rounds minimum per gun averages out to 28 rounds per gun for each stage for Am and 25 rounds/stage for Pro.  Are the stages really going to be that big, and will there be a max time for the stage?

Round counts are generally given as a rough guideline.  You will probably take some ammo home.  I generally take 300 per gun because it is easy to take it home but it sucks to start the last stage of a match with a partially empty magazine.  Also:  If there is a stage equipment malfunction and you need to do a re-shoot, that can chew through an extra 30-40 rounds per gun.  

If I recall correctly there was a 180 second par time last year.  I would expect there to be a par time on stages this year but that is only speculation on my part.  I'm not sure how long the par time will be, if there is one. 

I should have been more specific a few posts up.

Rifle out to 250 for the Am.  500 for the Pro.  Not sure about slugs for the Am.  The #20 was in reference to the count for the Pro.

No slings needed.

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

23 hours ago, Vespid_Wasp said:

Round counts are generally given as a rough guideline.  You will probably take some ammo home.  I generally take 300 per gun because it is easy to take it home but it sucks to start the last stage of a match with a partially empty magazine.  Also:  If there is a stage equipment malfunction and you need to do a re-shoot, that can chew through an extra 30-40 rounds per gun.  

If I recall correctly there was a 180 second par time last year.  I would expect there to be a par time on stages this year but that is only speculation on my part.  I'm not sure how long the par time will be, if there is one. 

I should have been more specific a few posts up.

Rifle out to 250 for the Am.  500 for the Pro.  Not sure about slugs for the Am.  The #20 was in reference to the count for the Pro.

No slings needed.

I always bring double anyway.  When you said 200 rounds minimum per gun (600 total) that made it sound like some of the stages were 80 to 90 rounds each.  We've done that before, so it's not a problem.  Rockcastle is a great place to shoot.  We just haven't got any info like previous years for stages, sponsors, side matches, vendors, etc...  I've checked the web page and facebook pages too.    

Yes - that is the "Preliminary" copy of the map that the match director sent me months ago.  I have never received an updated one.  I understand he had to move a stage or two from the original plan.  Also, the final map should have side matches on it.  If I had anything that was accurate & finalized, I would have sent it last night with all other links.

Linda Chico

Not having the stages descriptions is a bad idea.. I know they are not accurate, but they at least you know which guns, ammo, or mags to bring to the stage. Without them everyone has to carry everything from the car to the stage or go look at the stage, then go back to the car. Sometime parking is a couple hundred yards from the stages.

back at rock castle this is our 5th year AM stages simple and straight forward Pro lots of movement and far rifle shots.ususal lack of signs to stages and sight in area and side shoots?
My understanding was there are a few side shoots in the pistol bay area near Am1 & Pro2; as well as a side shoot near the Red Barn by Pro5. Just got the locations this morning.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk