Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apple for idiots ?

enroute

You may be fine as you are conscious of the issues and best practices but you are likely not the typical user.

Users will click on things they think they want and if they think that nothing they do will be able to penetrate the security of the operating system. Social engineering will often be a factor to convince the users to click on that malicious link or download and perhaps even enter administrative credentials.

On your other comment viruses are a type of malware. I think your point might be that self replicating viruses and worms are less prevalent and the current malware variants of concern include Trojans and other types of malicious code that does not self replicate and focuses on stealing data, remote intrusions, bot net enrolment, and etc.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That article is extremely dated, going back to 2012, and isn't correct anymore. Apple no longer ships java with OS X. Again, it all gets back to java. If you don't intend to ever run any compiled java apps, then you're not going to be going out of your way to install it. And again ,even if you do, oracle has put so much additional security into Java that you just about can not run an unauthorized or unsigned java app.

Edited by wgnoyes

The higher likelyhood of a Mac not getting a virus (than a PC) would be the last thing I'd care about when deciding whether or not to buy a Mac instead of a PC. Macs just work. And if something gets buggy (which seldom happens), a restart will fix it.

In all the many people I've known over the years that went from PCs to Macs, there was not one that went back to a PC.

There is no doubt that Mac is safer. It's not immune but the risk of infection is lower.

The newer Windows systems have also become much more secure than they were in the past and just like was mentioned for Mac, the number one attack vector for PCs is Java exploits followed by Adobe Flash and Reader. If you can get by without uninstall Java.

You can also use free vulnerability scanners like Secunia PSI which helps to identify Window's and third party patches which need to be applied to the operating system. http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

Is there such a reference?

I see MS is discontinuing service for XP and Office 2003, on PC units that do not have enough memory storage capacity, on or about April 17.

We have had this Dell Dimension E310 unit for some years now, it's been a good unit, but I think it's time to get out of this MS rut.

Where can I go for research?

To get back on track to OP, I definitely think you'll find using a Mac far easier (and simpler) than using a PC. Same general principles of navigating your harddrive(s) as you would normally do on a PC...only MORE STABLE and fewer (if any) crashes. Install software with a double click, and organize your tools/software/applications in the "Dock" (pinned to the bottom/center of your screen by default).

The higher likelyhood of a Mac not getting a virus (than a PC) would be the last thing I'd care about when deciding whether or not to buy a Mac instead of a PC. Macs just work. And if something gets buggy (which seldom happens), a restart will fix it.

In all the many people I've known over the years that went from PCs to Macs, there was not one that went back to a PC.

Epic quote.

And I've had macs since the Mac 512k...not to mention an apple IIe.

Don't fight it Steve, just let go!!! You'll be a lot happier in the long run...

LOL! I just read Bill Gate's opinion on Snoden vs. Wozniak's. It'll be an Apple Mac Pro Book either refurbd or on the student discount programs..(Thank God I have not finished school yet!?)

I bought my first iMac a couple years ago. Will never go back.

I unboxed the thing and started hooking it up. Assumed that I would have to get my wife to actually get it running. The only two things that caused me grief were finding the power cord (hidden in a cavity in the styrofoam packing) and the on button. Got past those two things and turned it on. It WORKED just like that, the thing worked. It has not stopped working since.

Apple fanboy here.

Epic quote.

And I've had macs since the Mac 512k...not to mention an apple IIe.

I recently trashed my first Mac (first "laptop"):

http://www.google.com/search?q=original+first+apple+laptop&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=tcssU-DDAYHUkQeN2YDYBA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1008&bih=1413#imgdii=_

2nd row, first on left.

My sister gave me here macbook air. Its a nice neat laptop. I hardly use it, in fact at first the only thing I use it was safari. That's about it. It progressed to iMovie for my shooting videos. It kinda plateaud there. That was about a year ago. Today I had to upgrade to Maverick to install Norton. Ironic about this topic, i just resurrected a 7 year old PC laptop (i thought i fried the harddrive 3years ago). It has that 2nd partition for recovery. Now, its good as new. Windows Vista, Intel Centrino Duo.

I've used PC since '94. I was 13. Enjoyed the progression til Windows 8. I just hated it. Why would they put tiles, on a desktop where most people use a mouse.. is beyond me.

Apple has some kind of learning curve. I could learn it but too lazy..

I two went to an iMac a couple of years ago. I've updated the OS twice and it's been the best computer I've owned. It's never installed an update and crapped out something else, hung during an update or anything. Heck when I took it out of the box and plugged it in, I had the OS installed, accounts created and I was logged in and checking it out 30 minutes later. Try that with a Windows install. Like BE says they "just work" which is what I wanted all along. I'm kicking myself for waiting all that time, they are worth every extra penny.

O/P google "Mac OS X, the missing manual" by David Pogue. Mine covers Lion and even if he doesn't have a newer version I'd still recommend it. Clearly written and concise. He writes for the "non-nerd". It will still cover about 95% of Mavericks and what it doesn't you'll be able to figure out on your own in no time. There's always Apple support and forums which are excellent.

Edit to add: My upgrade cost to Mavericks was hard to swallow... For Microsoft! It was $0.00.

Edited by Shadowrider

I two went to an iMac a couple of years ago. I've updated the OS twice and it's been the best computer I've owned. It's never installed an update and crapped out something else, hung during an update or anything. Heck when I took it out of the box and plugged it in, I had the OS installed, accounts created and I was logged in and checking it out 30 minutes later. Try that with a Windows install. Like BE says they "just work" which is what I wanted all along. I'm kicking myself for waiting all that time, they are worth every extra penny.

Edit to add: My upgrade cost to Mavericks was hard to swallow... For Microsoft! It was $0.00.

:cheers:

Edited by wgnoyes

Bill,

I upgraded to X since Norton said that I have an outdated OS and the 360 cant be installed. It took a while for the download but it was seamless.

Edited by Torogi

I like my iPad in some ways but I noticed a few compatibility problems. I get a lot of " can't open this type file" messages that I do not have a problem with MS. Even the smiley icons on this site and others are not available.

I see 2 little smiley guys clinking beer mugs together right now. ADDING them is another thing though; I wonder if that's done with flash on invisionboard? And there's always the conventional way to do it

: )

:)

I'll have to get my geek brother on the problem. I can see icons written by others but can't insert any in what I write. The selection menu doesn't even show up.

I own a technology consulting company and work with Mac, Windows, and Linux. Just remember they are all just operating systems on the same hardware (for the most part) and they all have their pros and cons. Macs have a great user friendly operating system but just dont drink the kool-aid. They absolutely don't "just work". I could write about 10 pages on things they are not compatible with and cant do. Admittedly mostly in a mixed business environment with Active Directory, networking issues. Mac people will tell you that they can just run a virtual machine and I say if they have to do that they just over paid for the same hardware only to have to run windows anyway. Additionally VMware vitalization software for Mac is gimped and not as full featured and can cause some big issues if trying to manage a virtualized server infrastructure. Also, they can and do get viruses and malware but substantially less. Remember most viruses these days are designed to make money and not to change your desktop background or something stupid. Hundreds of thousands of Macs were infected for years and no one new about it. Apple business practices with user agreements, not fixing knows security issues for long periods of time, always passing the buck and responsibility when something goes wrong, banning people from their forums who talk about defective software / hardware, and etc make them more like "big brother" than the stylish alternative to the status quo they that advertise to be. Opinions very greatly on some of this though and this is just my experience working with them for 25 years.

However... You may not think that I hate mac, which I don't. In fact, I recommend macs all the time. Their closed ecosystem nature makes them more stable, although windows is getting much better in this regard. They are easier to learn, more stylish, and are true innovators in the technology world. The Iphone and Ipad have changed how we use technology today. Additional, I really like the Macbook Air and when they come out with one that has retina display and 8gb RAM ill probably get one, nothing windows has comes close to this machine.