Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Max capacity 140mm

z40acp

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Fantom919 said:

Thanks for doing all the testing for the rest of us. Maybe Stuart will have some other options for the mecgar mags as well.

our two pads are made for the 16 rnd and the 18rnd mag to meet 140mm, and the spring and follower kit are set up to run with most of the CZ mags. TS, CM, and 75 series.

I will do some checking on what may work on the MecGar mag. they have a different follower design and tube design near the top.

back in a bit

I tried the CZCustom spring and follower kit #10522 on a 17rd Mec-Gar Magazine with Springer 140mm base pad (holds 21 rounds with Mec-Gar follower)). The top of the MecGar tube is designed differently as Stuart mentioned. The CZCustom follower does not come all the way up to the top of the mag. I filed the sides of the follower until it reached the top. It doesn't feel very stable. The follower is shorter front to back so there is a gap. However, the magazine will now hold 23 rounds. Dummy rounds will cycle through the gun fine (slide does not lock back). I hope to test them during live fire today or tomorrow. I'm concerned that it may not cycle reliably.

On 2/1/2017 at 4:33 PM, rowdyb said:

I gained +4 rounds on a 17rnd mecgar mag. Shot it all afternoon and worked great. Reloaded, empty start, slide lock, etc. With the stock follower.

The CZC goes on the 18rnd mag, so you're ahead one there. Add the follower and I'm not surprised they could get +5 for a total of 23.

So if I plus one at the start, I'm starting with 22. Just like in my TacSport. Same mag I tested for CO works great in my Prod AccuShadow, so I might goof off and shoot Lim minor here and there too.

We'll see if the ability to have 23/4 at the start really makes a difference over 21/22.......

We had a match this past weekend and I shot my new Springer pads (on 17 Mec-gars). I loaded 21 in the first mag, but would only put 20 in reloading mags for easier insertion. Actually I reloaded with 17 round Mecgars because that is all I needed.

In answer to your question I ran into a stage where 22/23 was the perfect number to get to a desired reload point. No point in the stage prior to that was ideal. I ended up shooting 20 and doing a standing reload. Two more would have been nice. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just got some mecgar 19 rounders (17 +2 basepads). I was able to fit the +2 on the bottom of my cz 18 rounder (usually can squeeze 19) so technically this would give me 22 rounds for CO. 

Does anyone see why this would not work for a "cheap" (relatively) alternative to getting basepads and much much more $$$ invested for trying CO.

Right now im trying to keep it cheap, hence going with a vortex viper (didnt want a venom with 3 moa dot, going with 6) and a dovetail mount (still looking to pick between them) 

33 minutes ago, bsand said:

I just got some mecgar 19 rounders (17 +2 basepads). I was able to fit the +2 on the bottom of my cz 18 rounder (usually can squeeze 19) so technically this would give me 22 rounds for CO. 

Does anyone see why this would not work for a "cheap" (relatively) alternative to getting basepads and much much more $$$ invested for trying CO.

Right now im trying to keep it cheap, hence going with a vortex viper (didnt want a venom with 3 moa dot, going with 6) and a dovetail mount (still looking to pick between them) 

it's longer than the allowed 141.5mm

7 hours ago, bsand said:

Have you tried the CZC Follower and Spring Kit #10522 for extra rounds?

Which +2 base pad are you using? I used a Taran Tactical TTI CZ +2 Base Pad (since CZC was out of the short pad) on a CZ 18 rounder with the  CZC 10522 spring and follower kit for 23+1 rounds. I did have to file the back portion of the magazine lips a bit to fit the 141.25 gauge.

However, I don't think you are not at much of a competitive disadvantage (if any) with your current mags. 

Is the follower and spring combo that CZ Custom {10522} sells the same as the one Springer {Grams FKCL-11} sells? If not, anyone used these in the CZ 18/19 round mag tube with the CZ base? Is there another good base for the 18/19 round tube and keep it to 140mm?

1 hour ago, z40acp said:

Is the follower and spring combo that CZ Custom {10522} sells the same as the one Springer {Grams FKCL-11} sells? If not, anyone used these in the CZ 18/19 round mag tube with the CZ base? Is there another good base for the 18/19 round tube and keep it to 140mm?

CZC makes their own spring/follower, it's similar to Grams' but different.

As far as I know the only 141.25mm pad for the 18 round Cz tubes is made by CZC.

On 2/19/2017 at 10:48 PM, bsand said:

Cheap would be running what you have.  5 minutes ago you had 10 round mags for CO, now 20 (?).  Win, win.

Edited by dogtired

10 hours ago, selecw said:

Mec-Gar 17, Springer basepad, trimmed Grams followers. Tested. Fits the gauge.

The same combination with CZC followers is over by about 2mm.

What do you mean by "CZC followers"? Do you mean CZC 18 round magazine tube? I know the CZC 18 round mag tube with the Springer 140mm base pad for the Mec-Gar 17 will not fit the gauge.

Just now, dogtired said:

Has to mean that because it doesn't make sense otherwise.

He means base pads, not followers.

There are three 140 pads on the market, designed for the three different length tubes:

-16 round tube (CZC long pad)

-17 round tube (Springer pad)

-18 round tube (CZC short pad)

Any other combo will not get you a USPSA legal 141.25mm mag.  The best you can get in a CZ 75 140mm mag is 23+1.

5 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

There are three 140 pads on the market, designed for the three different length tubes:

Any other combo will not get you a USPSA legal 141.25mm mag.  The best you can get in a CZ 75 140mm mag is 23+1.

You can also use the Taran Tactical TTI +2 CZ Base Pad (CZBP940-00) with the 18 round CZC tube. - 23+1 with the CZC Spring/Follower kit

And Stuart just mentioned a new base pad CZC has for the 17 round tube in production.

16 round mag with long czc base and czc follower 23 rounds in mag

18 round mag with mecgar +2 plastic base sanded down to fit guage, czc follower 23 rounds in mag.

No issues yet czc follower seem to be grams with the 10 coIL springs.

Edited by GJGary

11 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Yes. Excuse the typo.

I am going into Area 2 match this weekend with the Springer basepad, 17 round Mec Gar tube, Grams follower and spring. I bought a gauge for peace of mind.

If I had relied on my caliper I would have been in trouble, as the CZC basepad with the same elements appeared to be OK. It wasn't.