Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

such thing as dry fire reset device for 2011?

sandflea316

I recently got in a dry fire mag for my glock and have been using it extensively in my CCW glock 19.   Following the included instructions I am able to get it close to the pull weight of my glock 19.  It has been an invaluable training tool for me.  Having something that lets my dry fire without racking the slide each time makes it less tedious to practice dry firing.

Does such a creature exist for 2011s?  I would love to have something similar.

I think the closest you'll get to something like that is one of the fancy airsoft guns they make some that are true to the weight and truer  the trigger pull.

Yeah I know, I wish there was something but I don't think the engineering and development costs would be worth it.  In order to keep the pistol nearly identical (little weight, no added size, able to dry fire like we want, etc.) I would imagine it would not be cheap.  It would be hard to make something that would strap on and work.  The airsoft is likely the best option, but that is entirely different pistol.  I cock the hammer for the first pull and simulate the rest.

Yep coolfire is the only viable option right now but it does have its own limitations. You don't get many trigger pulls (slide cycles) before you need to refil the little tank. It's also pretty exxy for a dry fire toy. 

My 1911 and 2011s all have sub 3lb triggers (some are sub 2lb). 

You could get a sear spring and bend the disco and sear legs (middle and left) to give a resistance that is equal to your normal trigger pull. Then just swap it in for dryfire. You won't get a trigger break feeling but the pull weight will at least be equal to your normal break weight. 

I started making a dry fire trigger assembly for 1911s and 2011s, but the fact is that you can't drop it in.  Doesn't matter what the design is, plunger with detent, welded and modified sear spring, detent insert module... The gun would need to disassembled to make it work.  No one wants to disassemble and reassemble their gun every day.  That defeats it entirely, unless you install it in a spare gun that won't be needed, but then you need at least $1000 dollars for a dry fire trainer.  May as well get airsoft or the CO2 gimmick.  

Better yet, get a DA gun and use that to practice triggering.

Many years ago here was a unit for the 1911.  I believe it originated in California, and was later either acquired or marketed by Springfield Armory.It had a pneumatic unit that replaced the barrel, and, if I recall correctly, a replacement for the mainspring housing.  When the trigger released the sear, the mainspring housing portion energized teh barrel unit to cycle the slide.

There were tubes carrying CO2 to both, as I recall.

Guy