Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Friendly Bet

GunBugBit

At last Thursday's practice match, one of the other club members told me he had a $1 bet going with another guy, and if I wanted to join in the bet.

"Whoever gets more A hits on paper in a given stage receives $1."

I knew this would be a good challenge because he is an accurate shooter and I wouldn't be taking advantage of someone, nor be taken advantage of. Had to check my money clip to see if I was carrying some $1 bills. I only had one so could only afford to compete one-on-one to start.

"OK, you're on. Just between us two."

I won $1 by an A hit or two. We agreed to continue the bet on the next stage. A couple of guys watching us shoot that second stage were aware of our bet and could see our focus. He went first and got all A's. I wanted to keep my dollar and show that I could shoot very accurately at will. It was all A's for me, too. I kept the dollar due to a tie.

Does something like this, once in a while, help one improve? I don't know. Seems like it could. The rest of the stages went really well so maybe that pause to focus on only accuracy was beneficial.

Edited by GunBugBit

I like the Hit Factor bet for overall performance on a stage. I think the A Zone bet would encourage a shooter to slow down to win the $1s and the bragging rights.

I know (my own personality) that if As were the bet I'd shoot like molasses and have all Alphas. Then, I'd have beer money :cheers:

Hit Factor would make me work harder, and maybe improve.

• 4 weeks later...

Hit Factor is shown in the scores, but focusing purely on accuracy on the occasional practice stage answers the question, "Can you, as you claim you can, shoot accurately at will? Are your occasional mikes and no-shoot hits really because you're pushing your speed a little, or because you're not that great a shot on your best day? Let's find out, pardner."

That is all.

Thanks motosapiens.

I should mention that our times were good (for us) that night we were betting on accuracy. I don't believe any of us slowed down much at all. We didn't bet on shooting more accurately with a presumption of slowing down, we bet on who would shoot more accurately, period. We all still wanted to make a good showing in the club's posted match results, and we all know the scores are time-based.