Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated = Jacketed?

Atlgentlegiant

I had an issue with some factory loaded ammo and I am trying to work this out. The ammo maker insists their load using plated HP bullets (appear to be Xtreme) count as jacketed. The maker is also saying that no load data exists on any powder maker sites or manual for plated bullets.

I load with jacketed and plated. Per the information here I load the plated with lower charges than the jacketed. My plated loads have worked just fine. The ammo I bought had some very big (80+fps) high/low deviations and was 75fps over its stated velocity.

I do not want to start a religious war but in the minds and data of folks here does a plated bullet count as a jacketed bullet?

Plated=Plated

Jacketed=Jacketed

Plating is thin. Jacketed has a thick jacket.

Different load data for each type.

The "ammo maker" is FOS. Just sayin'.

That was pretty much my response to the maker and your last remark is close to my thoughts as well. The remarks from the maker are 'Speer Lawman and Gold-Dot are plated and they market them as jacketed so are you going to raise an issue with Speer too?' (paraphrased for brevity). Maker also tried to say that the velocity variations I saw had to be due to a dirty barrel. I responded with my chrono results from my load using Xtreme from the same barrel, date, testing/firing session and fired after their loads which showed <20fps variation on a 10 shot string. Nothing against plated but if I pay for what is advertised as jacketed I expect jacketed.

Plated=Plated

Jacketed=Jacketed

Plating is thin. Jacketed has a thick jacket.

Different load data for each type.

The "ammo maker" is FOS. Just sayin'.

That was pretty much my response to the maker and your last remark is close to my thoughts as well. The remarks from the maker are 'Speer Lawman and Gold-Dot are plated and they market them as jacketed so are you going to raise an issue with Speer too?' (paraphrased for brevity). Maker also tried to say that the velocity variations I saw had to be due to a dirty barrel. I responded with my chrono results from my load using Xtreme from the same barrel, date, testing/firing session and fired after their loads which showed <20fps variation on a 10 shot string. Nothing against plated but if I pay for what is advertised as jacketed I expect jacketed.

For our reloading purposes--The only one difference between plated and jacket. The thickness of the copper on a plated bullet.. You can apply a tighter crimp on a jacketed bullet. If you crimp most plated bullets to much, you cause the plate to separate from the lead and you get poor accuracy or the plating strips from the lead in flight.

You can use the same load data for a plated bullet as you would copper jacketed. Some plated bullets have extra plating and crimp is not a factor.

The other difference to be aware of is velocity. Most plated bullets should not exceed 1100 FPS. (Pistol bullets)

Some barrels just don't shoot plated bullets with consistent results. You have to factor in all these variables.

I do agree with "Advertised as Jacketed, I expect jacketed not plated"

Edited by lcs

I had an issue with some factory loaded ammo and I am trying to work this out. The ammo maker insists their load using plated HP bullets (appear to be Xtreme) count as jacketed. The maker is also saying that no load data exists on any powder maker sites or manual for plated bullets.

I load with jacketed and plated. Per the information here I load the plated with lower charges than the jacketed. My plated loads have worked just fine. The ammo I bought had some very big (80+fps) high/low deviations and was 75fps over its stated velocity.

I do not want to start a religious war but in the minds and data of folks here does a plated bullet count as a jacketed bullet?

I use zero TMJ 180 grain bullets for my match ammo and Berrys 180 grain plated bullets for my practice ammo. I load them to the same length with 5.3 grains of N320 and the average PF is the same.

I use zero TMJ 180 grain bullets for my match ammo and Berrys 180 grain plated bullets for my practice ammo. I load them to the same length with 5.3 grains of N320 and the average PF is the same.

Trace, I was looking at the prices of bullets for MG vs. Barry's the cost are nearly the same. Why not just make one load for everything?

Trace, I was looking at the prices of bullets for MG vs. Barry's the cost are nearly the same. Why not just make one load for everything?

I'm not sure what retail prices are for the bullets. I get free once fired brass from a local PD, so Danny Wisner (Atlanta Arms and Ammo) helps me with 40 S&W components to help keep the overall price down. FWIW, I buy all of my 38SC, 9mm and 223 from Atlanta Arms and Ammo.

From a purely $$$ value--There is no reason to use Berry's plated over MG. Not to mention if your using the same dies, you would have to adjust your bullet seating die every time you changed bullets.

From a purely $$$ value--There is no reason to use Berry's plated over MG. Not to mention if your using the same dies, you would have to adjust your bullet seating die every time you changed bullets.

You're still thinking about this from a retail price standpoint and I have no idea what Danny pays for the bullets but it certainly isn't retail. Also, I don't adjust anything on my 650 when switching back and forth and they remain 1.20", work perfectly and have done so for thousands of rounds.

Edited by SV-COP

I put the micrometer on some of the rounds I bought when I had a chance today and I found that the crimp is pretty tight and somewhat inconsistent (.420-.423) which may explain the variation I saw in velocities. CS at the company did confirm that all they do when switching from jacketed to plated is change the bullets in the bin. I load plated at .423. I had pulled a few of the bullets previously and found a very defined crimp line on them. I do not see this on any of my jacketed rounds.

When I dabbled with plated bullets in my guns I started with lead data and eventually had to load close to or the same charges as jacketed rounds to reach desired pf for major .40 and 9mm minor. I won't use plated stuff again unless I can get them at moly prices. At regular retail they are priced the same as Zero/MG case prices.

Edited by blaster113

The maker is also saying that no load data exists on any powder maker sites or manual for plated bullets.

Tell your maker to check: http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data/relodata/6/25

They use Rainer bullets in several of their load recipes.

Hodgdon has data for Berry's 130gr for 9mm, and I think for 38 super as well. My Lee book has a handful of plated data.