Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rifle shots do you take?

If a miss costs you 10 seconds do you shoot 1 or 2 shots when 1 A/B hit is required on paper?

My first thought is do it the same as pistol, if the called shot is a sure or likely miss shoot again.

Or do you just shoot 2?

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

Unless the shots are called an "A" on close stuff with realtively slow transitions and you are planning for 1 shot per target, you are better off with 2 per paper, rifle and pistol. IF you can save a reload, maybe. But reloads should not be more than 2 seconds, splits not more than .2 seconds and transitions not more than .3 seconds for a mid-level competitor. If you do the math, for the most part, better with just doing the 2 rounds.

For under 50 yards, my 1st shot is aimed and I just pull the trigger as fast as I can for the 2nd shot. Looking at my targets, you will usually see 1 in the A zone and a 2nd hit low in the guts. I run a red dot and my eyes suck so over 50 yards, I have to slow things down.

def. 2....unless it saves you a reload somewhere or in a handful of other extreme cases.

...i don't care if the target is 1 foot away, I still shoot 2...if the targets are real close like that, that just means I can take less time aiming my two and get on the next target faster.

def. 2....unless it saves you a reload somewhere or in a handful of other extreme cases.

...i don't care if the target is 1 foot away, I still shoot 2...if the targets are real close like that, that just means I can take less time aiming my two and get on the next target faster.

What he said.

I usually shoot 2. A lot of the matches I go to, use the smaller IPSC targets (airsoft) as rifle targets. So to ensure I don't miss I 'll shoot again

Edited by Robbie

• 2 months later...

"Always shoot 2. If it's over 100 yards or a 100 yard head shot I'll take 3 maybe 4 depending on how much ammo I have on me. "

Yup.

I have taken one alpha on a few occasions. Either I'm 100% sure I called the shot right (99% = a follow up shot) or I abide by the following:

If you have to aim to make the shot and you took & called a good shot like you were supposed to - why take two?

Here's an example - a headshot shoot target with a noshoot directly under it.

You should aim at that one. :lol:

Edited by DyNo!

Dy No has gets the A grade on this question. every thing is Risk Reward if you have that no shoot with the high risk take the one good A shot. if not shoot to your strength

My strong point is A , too many As on a two any place match.

But !The only way I will take a third shot is if I call one off the target

Edited by AlamoShooter

I will almost always take the 2 shots instead of the 1A. as others have said, unless a reload can be saved or something else goofy, 2 is the way to go.

Now for pistol, depending on the distance, im much more likely to take single As or A/B shots, especially if i can cut out 1.5-2 seconds on a reload.

Thanks for the responses,

I have concluded that 2 is best for me unless you are right on top of the target, I watched Bruce P. shoot the barrel stage at the AR-15/Rockcastle match which had the first paper at almost contact distance, he took one head shot and then moved on.

I think for me a single shot would be slower because my process would include; calling the shot, deciding to either shoot again or not, start my transition which I think would be longer than just shooting 2, calling the shots and moving on no matter what.

David E.