Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramshot Competition Wins Over N320 Again

spencerhut

Working up a new minor load for the wife's CZ-75SA since I wanted to try and make her one of the "feels like cheating they are so soft loads" and for the second time in the last couple of months N320 got stomped by Ramshot Competition. The other load was a major load for my.40S&W Tac Sport where Competition also beat N320.

The two loads that made ~135PF were CCI Primer, Win Case, 147g MGB, 1.140 OAL with 3.8g N320 or 3.4g Competition. Multiple back to back blind tests with my wife confirmed the Competition shot noticeably softer than N320. Both loads are way softer than the old 124g load she has been using for years.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

ramshots a faster burning powder, a look at a burn rate chart could have given you the same data without firing a shot. As long as the powder will give you the minimum velocity you want, groups decent and is clean enough for the intended purpose faster will always generate less recoil than slower.

ramshots a faster burning powder, a look at a burn rate chart could have given you the same data without firing a shot. As long as the powder will give you the minimum velocity you want, groups decent and is clean enough for the intended purpose faster will always generate less recoil than slower.

Joe I would not make any bets based on a burn rate chart, each mfg has its own method to determining burn rate. You can tell if it is in the right "section" to try, but beyond that NO IT DOES NOT TELL YOU HOW IT WILL SHOOT. By the way Competition comes after N320 which if you believe the chart its slower, not faster.

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

Your theory is sound but the burn rate chart is not 100% accurate, well maybe 85%.

Working up a new minor load for the wife's CZ-75SA since I wanted to try and make her one of the "feels like cheating they are so soft loads" and for the second time in the last couple of months N320 got stomped by Ramshot Competition. The other load was a major load for my.40S&W Tac Sport where Competition also beat N320.

The two loads that made ~135PF were CCI Primer, Win Case, 147g MGB, 1.140 OAL with 3.8g N320 or 3.4g Competition. Multiple back to back blind tests with my wife confirmed the Competition shot noticeably softer than N320. Both loads are way softer than the old 124g load she has been using for years.

Would you mind passing along the .40 Major load? I have heard a few other good things about Ramshot powders and now I'm interested in getting some Comp and True Blue to try out. Thanks for any info...

Joe I would not make any bets based on a burn rate chart, each mfg has its own method to determining burn rate. You can tell if it is in the right "section" to try, but beyond that NO IT DOES NOT TELL YOU HOW IT WILL SHOOT. By the way Competition comes after N320 which if you believe the chart its slower, not faster.

Your theory is sound but the burn rate chart is not 100% accurate, well maybe 85%.

Actually, both - Hodgdon and VV charts show Ramshot Comp. being faster burning powder than N320.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

http://www.lapua.com/upload/downloads/brochures/2011/vihtavuorireloadingguideed9eng.pdf - page 2.

Then why stop with Ramshot Competition? Go ahead and try Alliant E3 and VV N310. They're both faster than Ramshot so they gotta be "softer." Heck, why not just go to Norma R1 and forget the others?

Edited by The_Vigilante

How is the accuracy with competition?

When I tried VV310, and Clays, for 9mm minor, my 25 yard groups doubled, as compared to Titegroup, or VV320. :surprise:

like I said, there are other factors involved besides recoil, A light recoiling round may have horrible accuracy or other short comings, Acording to the newest Hodgdon burnrate chart I have it shows Ramshot Comp as faster than 320, the fact the OP used lighter charges backs this up in this aplication. Burn rate can flip flop based on pressures and aplications which is why all charts arnt the same, 310 E3 may work well from a recoil perspective if it can make power factor at an acceptable pressure level and doenst have other issues.

But the OP found a faster powder that apparently works well and as a result recoils less.

Actually, both - Hodgdon and VV charts show Ramshot Comp. being faster burning powder than N320.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

http://www.lapua.com...guideed9eng.pdf - page 2.

There you go those burn rate charts aren't worth burning the paper they are on, or is it like that old show Truth or Consequences, will the real burn rate chart step forward. Your theory is sound but we just don't have reliable burn rate information.

So a heavier bullet recoiled less with BOTH powders? Well, yeah..its going to.

If both 147 loads (VV&Ramshot) both recoiled less, than is just says you didn't feel as much recoil as the 124's.

Would you mind passing along the .40 Major load? I have heard a few other good things about Ramshot powders and now I'm interested in getting some Comp and True Blue to try out. Thanks for any info...

4.6g Competition, 180g MGB JHP, 1.135OAL CCI or Wolf Primer

Then why stop with Ramshot Competition? Go ahead and try Alliant E3 and VV N310. They're both faster than Ramshot so they gotta be "softer." Heck, why not just go to Norma R1 and forget the others?

N310 is wonderful in 9 minor, and I have a pound of E3 I've been meaning to try :cheers:

3.8 gr of n320 to make 130 Pf with 147 gr mg? Sounds hot to me.

Agreed, in my M&P pro I am running 147 gr Bayou bullets and 3.6 gr of N320 and am at ~140 power factor.

Edit to add:

I know a guy that uses N310 in his 9mm and it sounds like a pop gun but it makes power factor so *shrug*

I just don't like running that close to the pressure spike edge personally.

Edited by Classic_jon

I use 3.3/3.4g of VV N320 and get 135 Power Factor in my M&P Pro 9mm. Sounds like your Chrony is way off or your powder measure.

Chrony might be off. Scale, hell that could be off too :-). The chrony is an older PACT and has seen better days. I'm at ICORE this week and if my ammo chron's much different than it does at home I'll buy a new chrony.

I use 3.3/3.4g of VV N320 and get 135 Power Factor in my M&P Pro 9mm. Sounds like your Chrony is way off or your powder measure.

Chrony might be off. Scale, hell that could be off too :-). The chrony is an older PACT and has seen better days. I'm at ICORE this week and if my ammo chron's much different than it does at home I'll buy a new chrony.

Let us know how it goes, I'm curious to see what this is...I have an older PACT (about 15 years old) and it seems to run great and accurate. Good luck this week...

About the same here. MG 147 CMJ. 3.8 sounds like a lot.

My go to load is 2.9 with a 160gr moly bullet though.

Let us know how it goes, I'm curious to see what this is...I have an older PACT (about 15 years old) and it seems to run great and accurate. Good luck this week...

My .45ACP loads were 158 to 160 at home on my PACT chrony, 169.9 over the match chrony. So my PACT might be reading low.