Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redesigned M&P Striker Assembly

ck1

So, broke a striker while dry-firing my M&P9 and after a bit I was sent the newly redesigned version of the striker assembly. The newer design is easily identified by it's silver color rather than blackened as well as it using only 1 spring cup/keeper as opposed to 2 in the older design to accomodate it's "spine"... The new part seems easily 5 times stronger to me, doubt I'll be breaking this one.

Also of note, the striker's tang is now more J-shaped and in general the new assembly seems to produce much more force (stronger primer hit) upon release. In fact, I was running a 13lb ISMI recoil spring that's only seen about 1000rds but have gone back to the stronger stock recoil spring since the extra striker spring tension seems to be affecting how the gun locks up in battery (doing the recoil spring test where you dry fire it, point the gun straight up, hold back the trigger, than hold back the slide and slowly let it release back into battery I noticed it ever so slightly wasn't quite locking up fully...), figured since the stocker isn't really that oversprung that I'd rather not possibly blow up my gun...

I've got 600rds and approx. maybe 1000 or so dry-fires with the new striker assembly and it seems just perfect, just much more robust than the older design.

Figured I'd post to see if anyone is seeing the same things I am with the newer striker... And please post if you notice anything else of note.

Aloha.

So, broke a striker while dry-firing my M&P9 and after a bit I was sent the newly redesigned version of the striker assembly. The newer design is easily identified by it's silver color rather than blackened as well as it using only 1 spring cup/keeper as opposed to 2 in the older design to accomodate it's "spine"... The new part seems easily 5 times stronger to me, doubt I'll be breaking this one.

Also of note, the striker's tang is now more J-shaped and in general the new assembly seems to produce much more force (stronger primer hit) upon release. In fact, I was running a 13lb ISMI recoil spring that's only seen about 1000rds but have gone back to the stronger stock recoil spring since the extra striker spring tension seems to be affecting how the gun locks up in battery (doing the recoil spring test where you dry fire it, point the gun straight up, hold back the trigger, than hold back the slide and slowly let it release back into battery I noticed it ever so slightly wasn't quite locking up fully...), figured since the stocker isn't really that oversprung that I'd rather not possibly blow up my gun...

I've got 600rds and approx. maybe 1000 or so dry-fires with the new striker assembly and it seems just perfect, just much more robust than the older design.

Figured I'd post to see if anyone is seeing the same things I am with the newer striker... And please post if you notice anything else of note.

Aloha.

I try to always have a snap cap in the chamber when dry-firing. Were you dropping the striker on an empty chamber?

I try to always have a snap cap in the chamber when dry-firing. Were you dropping the striker on an empty chamber?

Yes, I was NOT using a snap cap when it broke... FYI, spoke to the contact at S&W about it at length, seems it doesn't matter whether one uses a snap cap or not, still could break while dry-firing and they've seen plenty examples of it occuring both with and without snap caps...

The new striker is more robust and was overbuilt to not require snap caps to keep it safe while dry-firing (or so I was told, and so far, so good).

FWIW, I came over from Glocks and I prefer to NOT have to use snap caps in order to dry-fire... Personally, when doing dry-fire exercises I want to be looking at an empty chamber and IMO I don't want to ever get used to seeing anything in the chamber and telling my brain it's ok to pull the trigger unless I'm shooting for real... That's just me.

If the guy I spoke to at S&W had said I would have to use snap caps to dry-fire I would sell or trade the gun and go back to a Glock, I feel that strongly about it. YMMV.

Edited by ck1

Ive had good results so far; I suspect that the redesign is more about manufacturing costs and production than a functional revision, but theres no reason it cant be both.

I dont thing theres any real reason yet to go out and swap them for the old ones.

I also tried a 13# ISMI recoil spring in my "Pro" when I got it, and even swapped out the striker spring to a lighter one and wasn't impressed with the way it locked up either, so, like you, and not really wanting to blow up my gun, went back to stock.

Ive had good results so far; I suspect that the redesign is more about manufacturing costs and production than a functional revision, but theres no reason it cant be both.

I dont thing theres any real reason yet to go out and swap them for the old ones.

It adds a LOT of metal, right where they are prone to breaking. You figure a lot of the broken strikers are resutling in S&W sending out call tags. I'm sure that 30-70 bucks those cheap strikers are really quite expensive.  I think a good redesign will be cheaper, but not because it's cheaper to make. 

This make the fifth revision to the striker, at least,  I hope it is the last. 

I talked to a S&W rep a couple of days ago. He told me about the one-piece cup. He said the new one was MIM and much sturdier than the previous one, according to some drawing/test info he had. He mentioned something about the foot area that engages the sear being re-designed/smoother or angled slightly, I think. I've seen a pic or two other places on the 'net, can't seem to find one right away.

This is the first one I've come across that was in a Pro that I just finished a trigger job on.

That's the striker design I was referring to as the new one.

I did not need to send in my gun, I was asked if I could handle switching it out myself and that was it.

I tried a friends old style striker assembly in my gun yesterday and found that indeed I'm not crazy, the newer style has a lot more spring tension happening... Since do to the gun's design, more striker spring tension means a greater force trying to pull the gun out of battery... A 13lb recoil spring that used to feel and function about perfect is now a hair light when used with the newer striker assembly. The stock recoil spring (which I believe is 16lbs, please correct me if I'm mistaken) seems the slightest bit oversprung if you're splitting hairs... If you're a truly anal retentive gamer you might want to give a 14lb or 15lb a try... Pretty sure once I put 500 or so more rounds through mine the stocker will be broken in and feel just about perfect though, YMMV.

Edited by ck1

I think the actual spring on the striker is now stronger.

Seems you are correct sir. Just popped out my new striker spring to compare to the older one and it's indeed 2-3 coils longer than the one from the older striker assembly (interesting since I did feel my pull weight increased a bit with the new assembly, this confirms that I wasn't imagining it).

Went back and forth between the two and feels as though while the older/shorter one is a tad lighter as far as pull weight, the newer/longer one has a tad more push in it's reset... Since I like the stronger reset and my sear has already been modded to bring the pull into the 4-5lb range think I'm cool with the newer one, but if anybody gets the new style assembly and feels their pull go up a half a pound or so that's most likely the culprit.

Think S&W may have wanted to end any light strike problems that I've seen here and there, thus, more sproing...

Seems you are correct sir. Just popped out my new striker spring to compare to the older one and it's indeed 2-3 coils longer than the one from the older striker assembly (interesting since I did feel my pull weight increased a bit with the new assembly, this confirms that I wasn't imagining it).

Again, having not seen a new style striker, do the old (lighter) springs fit on the new assembly? Regardless of whether it is a good idea, I have a couple laying around from the old assemblies I have broken that I could test out (provided they fit).

Again, having not seen a new style striker, do the old (lighter) springs fit on the new assembly? Regardless of whether it is a good idea, I have a couple laying around from the old assemblies I have broken that I could test out (provided they fit).

Yes, the old spring fits, the newer one is just longer/stronger.

Upon comparison of the old and new striker assembly....I removed both springs and compared them. Both appear to be the same. The foot of the striker assembly seems as if it may preload just .050" more

That may be enough preload to increase striker force and give the impression of a stronger spring.

Wire diameter is .029" on both

They are both 23 coils

Both measure 2.15"

Upon comparison of the old and new striker assembly....I removed both springs and compared them. Both appear to be the same. The foot of the striker assembly seems as if it may preload just .050" more

That may be enough preload to increase striker force and give the impression of a stronger spring.

So putting an "old" spring in a new assembly will not lead to a weaker striker assembly? I guess I will not have reduced power striker springs, just spares. Oh well, it never hurts to have extra parts.

• 4 weeks later...

Comparing a used spring to a new spring is apples to oranges. The used spring will be shorter, and feel softer. Shoot the new one a while, then compare to the old spring (from the old striker design) and you'll have a better idea.

Keep in mind that springs generally aren't actually tested for exact weight, they're done by wire gauge and heat treating. If they get the heat treating off a little bit, the spring isn't going to be what it's supposed to be. R,