Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Limited Glock Build

Five of Clubs

Several years ago I started attending local USPSA events and really got hooked. I would bring my 1911 (pre-Single Stack Division) and would just get completely spanked in L10, but I loved it. Of all the divisions, the guys/gals in Limited looked like they were having the most fun and it always made me want a Limited rig. Work, kids, life, etc. have gotten in the way and I had to quit competing but I still shoot and I'm planning to compete again this spring or summer. I decided I wanted to build a Limited Glock based mostly on the fact that I CCW a Glock and I can work on them myself. I took the advice of some on this board (thanks Pharoah Bender) in regards to the few mods I made:

Vanek Trigger

Dawson Adjustable Sights

Dawson Magwell

TruGrip

Extended Mag Release (I just couldn't reach the stock one)

The base gun was a cheapo local Police trade-in G22 (no finger grooves, I just don't like the feel of them) and I'm happy with the way it turned out. The Storm Lake barrel is a 9mm conversion I played around with when I first got the pistol, but I plan on shooting the stock one simply because I can't find a reason to replace it. I think all I have left to do is figure out which mag holders I want. Anyway, thanks to this forum as it is a great resource.

100_1167.jpg

100_1172.jpg

First of all, WELCOME BACK!!

As they say in Georgia, "Ya done good" on the gun. About the only things that I would do is re-spring the gun to tune it for your shooting style, go to a Tungsten guide rod for up-front weight, and thin the bottom of the trigger guard, particularly close to the frame. This will allow you to grip the gun a bit higher and helps alleviate "Glock knuckle".

Whenever you can pull the money, I would consider investing in either a factory G-35 slide or one from Lone Wolf. The extra sight radius is pretty helpful. The G-22 has a little shorter sight radius when compared to the STI/SV guns that your competition is using. And they're using a 2# single-action trigger that you don't have. Take every advantage that you can!

Hello: Just shoot it the way it is with the G22 slide. I would use 180 grain bullets and a 14 lb ISMI recoil spring. For mag holders I use Safariland 771's that fit STI mags. They work great and don't cost alot. You will want 3 mag holders for Limited and 5 for Limited 10 or production. I don't like the finger grooves either but I am getting used to them now :devil: Thansk, Eric

I think it sucks to tell new (or newly returned) shooters that their gear might be substandard. What a kick in the nuts with regards to confidence. <_<

I can argue for or against the sight radius. I know one thing, as a long time Grand Master Glocker...when I shoot a G22 or a G17, I don't expect my scores to suffer one bit in comparison to when I shot with a G34 or G35.

I know of other Grand Master Glock shooters that actually prefer the standard length guns.

I think a police trade in G22 make for a fantastic choice in a Limited gun. I'd shoot with one.

I think it sucks to tell new (or newly returned) shooters that their gear might be substandard. What a kick in the nuts with regards to confidence. <_<

I can argue for or against the sight radius. I know one thing, as a long time Grand Master Glocker...when I shoot a G22 or a G17, I don't expect my scores to suffer one bit in comparison to when I shot with a G34 or G35.

I know of other Grand Master Glock shooters that actually prefer the standard length guns.

I think a police trade in G22 make for a fantastic choice in a Limited gun. I'd shoot with one.

+1 :cheers:

No "kick in the nuts" was intended and hopefully not received. If it was percieved that way, then I apologize. I was simply giving some ideas of some other options available that will make it easier to shoot well.

I understand the issue of sight radius also. I have shot Master-class scores with a G-27, but those were courses that didn't require a lot a precision and I lucked up a bit. I've also done some interesting long-range work with the 27, but it wasn't easy. It is just generally easier for most to shoot a gun with a longer sight radius.

Thanks to all for the feedback and also thanks for the advice on the magazine holders, I'll definitely take a look at them. I do have a tungsten guide rod in there that I forgot to mention and a 13# ISMI recoil spring. It recoils fairly hard, but very quick. It's difficult to describe (I think many of you already know what I'm talking about) but I really like the feel. I hope it doesn't beat the crap out of the pistol. I plan to use a BT DOH which I will likely order soon. I saw a Glock a whole lot like this one on this site a while back and really thought it might be fun.

Thanks to all for the feedback and also thanks for the advice on the magazine holders, I'll definitely take a look at them. I do have a tungsten guide rod in there that I forgot to mention and a 13# ISMI recoil spring. It recoils fairly hard, but very quick. It's difficult to describe (I think many of you already know what I'm talking about) but I really like the feel. I hope it doesn't beat the crap out of the pistol. I plan to use a BT DOH which I will likely order soon. I saw a Glock a whole lot like this one on this site a while back and really thought it might be fun.

Congrats! :cheers: Now get lots of ammo, and have fun! :roflol:

I forgot to mention: Look into the Ready Tactical mag pouches. CPWSA.com (check him out in the vendor tent) has them... economical, and very functional. Ready Tactical also makes a DOH holster that people speak well of (I have not tried it yet, but it is on my wish list)

Thanks again for the advice, I like both the Safariland and Ready Tactical pouches and the price is reasonable on both. I ordered my magwell from Chris but didn't think to look there for them. That holster looks pretty good too, I definitely think my sights will fit in there.

Braxton - Regarding the long slide, I totally get what you are saying and it probably is better. I considered carefully just buying a G35 to start with, but in the end decided on the standard length because it just felt good in my hands. I'm a motorcycle guy at heart which basically means I like to tinker endlessly with anything I find interesting, so I may try it anyway later on.

Hello: You can get the Safariland stuff from Brian Enos or Shooters Connection. Shooters Connection also carry the Blade Tech stuff. If you buy a Blade Tech get it to fit a Glock 34/35 in case you go to one of those. I like the Comp-Tac belt holster since for me it is faster than the Blade-Tech. Both holsters are good for retension so you don't have to worry about a dropped pistol out of the holster. I like my G17 just as much as my G34's :cheers: You may want to try a heavier recoil spring to see how that feels to you. I have been using a 13LB for both G35's and G34's, I like the quick recoil impulse as well. Thanks, Eric

Since you are planning to shoot Limited I would recommend the CR Speed mag pouches. They is easier to position and angle. For Limited set the first pouch at your zipper to make it easier to keep the holster where you want it. What ever you buy get some velcro for the back.

I'm a motorcycle guy at heart which basically means I like to tinker endlessly...

Ahhh...a Harley rider, huh? biggrin.gif

I'm the rare exception that loves both Harleys and sportbikes. I also love AKs and ARs, Glocks and 1911s. I fall squarely in the middle in the numerous arguments about which is better. Each of the above has something awesome about it.

Regarding mag pouches, I have a seriously dumb question. I am right handed, do I order pouches marked "Right Hand" if they are not adjustable? A right handed person would actually grab the magazine with their left hand. All the pouches suggested look good. I think I'll order one of each and place them in the order I like them on my belt!

If you are right handed, even though the pouches go on the left, you still order "right handed". (In all cases that I am aware of, anyway. I haven't heard of any vendor listing it "wrong".)

If you call you order in, just let them know you are right handed. And, if you use one of the dealers that is in the dealer section of Brian's Forum, then call it in. You will probably get to talk with somebody that really knows their stuff and can [answer questions].

If you are right handed, even though the pouches go on the left, you still order "right handed". (In all cases that I am aware of, anyway. I haven't heard of any vendor listing it "wrong".)

If you call you order in, just let them know you are right handed. And, if you use one of the dealers that is in the dealer section of Brian's Forum, then call it in. You will probably get to talk with somebody that really knows their stuff and can.

Thanks Flex. I'll do it your way.

What are you running for mags/extensions? Taylor Freelance should bring you up to 20+1 if I'm correct, maybe even 21+1.

Don't wanna get spanked on round-count/reloads too.

The TF basepads should run with his magwell, right guys?

Jeff

What are you running for mags/extensions? Taylor Freelance should bring you up to 20+1 if I'm correct, maybe even 21+1.

Don't wanna get spanked on round-count/reloads too.

The TF basepads should run with his magwell, right guys?

Jeff

Arredondo base pads, 20+1 starting and 19 to reload. Thanks though.

Run the Dawsons and get 20+1 reloadable in all mine. My Taylors are 19 reloadable for all of them. Some are a tight 20 or 19 max

EkuJustice - Are you using the stock follower on your mags or something else? I'm using dawson as well and for some reason I can only manage to squeeze in 20 on 1 of 5 mags and 18 on the rest (reloads). I almost started tinkering on the mag springs to fit in 20 but I read somewhere in the forum that it's best to leave em alone.

Five - sorry for jumping on your thread.

Edited by Jimdoe

Run the Dawsons and get 20+1 reloadable in all mine. My Taylors are 19 reloadable for all of them. Some are a tight 20 or 19 max

EkuJustice - Are you using the stock follower on your mags or something else? I'm using dawson as well and for some reason I can only manage to squeeze in 20 on 1 of 5 mags and 18 on the rest (reloads). I almost started tinkering on the mag springs to fit in 20 but I read somewhere in the forum that it's best to leave em alone.

Five - sorry for jumping on your thread.

Pull the pad, and look hard at the area where the pad and magazine mate --- if the transition isn't perfectly smooth, the springs may be hanging up around 18 rounds or so...

I use stock followers I will have to double check but I believe it is a 5 0r 6 not sure which. If I use the newest follower I believe an 8 I loose a round. On the mag, you do need to do a little sanding on the inside of the mag where the pad attaches. Like was just said, that is what usually causes only 18 rounds. If you look on the inside you can see where it kinda narrows out in the corners especially. I used my trusty dremel as well as sand paper and removed that plastic and smoothed it out.