Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me shave off time on my SS reload

tpcdvc

have you noticed any slight miss alignment slows the reload

when every thing is perfect you dont feel the drag of the frame.

what has helprd me is burkett reloads

you stop your reload right before you insert. and work on perfect alignment.

I know I have bigger fish to fry other than the reload. But I'm stuck with dry fire only for the next couple of weeks and I'm trying to make progress where I can.

My thinking on this is since so often when doing a reload on a stage, even when moving, there are targets ready to shoot before my reload is done. So, if I could shave a tenth or two in those situations I could gain 10-20 points at a 10 stage match just on that one thing.

The only thing I can see is the hesitation the last inch or so before I slam it home (I guess some call that the Burkett reload?). This doesn't really exist in limited but when I try to tweak that I get too many crash and burn reloads. Can this be honed away?

Instead of standing reloads, how about practicing them as your last shot of a position? Move on out.

What Kyle said. In single stack we are always moving and reloading at the same time. Practice reloading on the move and try to get that reload done in a few steps and haul butt after that. Also, practice reloading around the belt and not just the first mag. Don't know why I"m telling you this is just going to make my job harder :roflol:

Thanks Flex and Steel. I have been practicing the moving and reloading thing. But I have not done much work at all around the belt. I will add that to my routine.

And Corey I'm just an A class anyway. You get to worry about all the big fish. :)

Don't know why I"m telling you this is just going to make my job harder :roflol:

And Corey I'm just an A class anyway. You get to worry about all the big fish. :)

Yeah Corey. It's not like he is working hard on dry-fire all winter or anything. :o

I wish i could reload my singlestack gun that well! the more experienced guys beat me to it, practice on the move, coming out a box, etc. Other than that, practicing hauling ass from spot to spot to gain a little time, haha. Nice work!

Don't know why I"m telling you this is just going to make my job harder :roflol:

Shoot....I worry about all fish. Guppies could choke ya you know!

Yeah Corey. It's not like he is working hard on dry-fire all winter or anything. :o

Wait, what? Sorry I had to stop dryfireing to prepare for the matches we shoot all winter!

• 2 weeks later...

the loads looked prettty darned slick, I will saythis tho, try to move just your arms to the mags, your doing what a friend of mine does, who shoots L-10, and SS, he was finetill he started shooting SS, andthen he started to lean to the gunhand to go for a mag, moving magwell makes for muffed reloads(in his case) also try startingfrom a last shot fired ie. weighted mag in the gun, hitthe release and go the the next mag, and as was also posted, dont just do the front mag, you shoot SS, so work your way aroundthe whole belt...

the loads looked prettty darned slick, I will saythis tho, try to move just your arms to the mags, your doing what a friend of mine does, who shoots L-10, and SS, he was finetill he started shooting SS, andthen he started to lean to the gunhand to go for a mag, moving magwell makes for muffed reloads(in his case) also try startingfrom a last shot fired ie. weighted mag in the gun, hitthe release and go the the next mag, and as was also posted, dont just do the front mag, you shoot SS, so work your way aroundthe whole belt...

Thanks.

I have noticed the slight lean toward the gun when reaching for the mag and of course this does not exist when I'm shooting Limited. It is really tough not to do it when you go hard for the mag and I hesitated to try to change it figuring it was natural given the mag position. However I will address it again tomorrow.

BTW, the second video does the weighted mag thing.

Are the mags full? I couldn't tell from the video. They don't seat as easily topped off with the slide forward. I'll drop one with a round or 2 in it but reload with a topped off mag with some dummies inside.

Take care,

Dave

Yep, when doing dry fire reloads I have 8 dummy rounds in the mags.

The mag I'm dropping in the second video is void of spring and follower but is weighted to simulate a full mag. I mostly use it for my other dry fire drills to simulate the feel of a loaded gun.

Tim