Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Book of Eli

I liked it as well. I enjoyed Man on Fire more but I appreciated the story and felt that the attention to setting the scene and building the right picture was done very well. I saw the "making of" on HBO and that helped me enjoy the movie a bit more. I'm a big Denzel fan. I too wish I could shoot SHO as well as he did in that movie :bow:

CAZ

Oh Yeah....I know I'm way behind on movies and just caught this one, but it was outstanding. What a message. A good story all the way around.The ending caught me completly by surprise. I'm hoping a re-watch will show me what I missed.

Oh Yeah....I know I'm way behind on movies and just caught this one, but it was outstanding. What a message. A good story all the way around.The ending caught me completly by surprise. I'm hoping a re-watch will show me what I missed.

When you rewatch it, watch for all of the small little hints, they are through out the movie. I had a lot of fun doing this, then you say to yourself, "how could I have not noticed the first time I watched it?" this movie was very well done. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I had waited a long time to see this movie and just watched it. I thought it developed very slow and was a total let down. I kept waiting for the big show and all we got was a remake of lonesome doves dead man's walk which also sucked. 2 out of 5 stars, and next time I see Denzel I'm gonna want my two hours back.

It bugged me a bit when Solara tried to touch the book when Eli was sleeping and his reaction was to jack a round into the chamber of his shotgun. Apparently Hollywood always thinks it's really bitchin' and cool to have a character rack the slide on a pump shotgun. They don't stop to think that what that says is that this hardcore survivor is making his way in this dangerous environment, knowing he doesn't have a round in the chamber. Okay, I could justify that with, "This is what he does when he's asleep with the shotgun in his hands," but still it bothered me. Then in the very next scene they walk up to the house and we see him rack a round into the chamber again. Yeah, wouldn't we ALL take the round out of the chamber we'd already put there, before we go out on the road where we might be attacked at any second?

Then Eli tosses Solara a rifle (or is it a subgun?) as the BGs are assaulting the house, "Do you know how to shoot one of these?" "Of course," in a what-a-stupid-question tone of voice. Why "Of course?" This is the daughter of a prostitute. At least what I got out of it was that Claudia was a prostitute who, because of her beauty and intelligence, caught the eye of her owner/pimp who made her his woman. If she wasn't a prostitute before, at the very least she's certainly selling her body to Carnegie for her own and her daughter's safety. And Carnegie has absolutely no problem turniing Solara out to trick on Eli. That's why Claudia freaks out so badly, she doesn't want her daughter to have to live the same life she's had to. So, is weapons training standard procedure for a prostitute's daughter? Do they train you to use an assault rifle or subgun so well you can not just participate in but excel in a firefight? I think not.

And at the end, though Mila Kunis does look cute as hell wearing all Eli's weapons, I found it hard to take her seriously. She doesn't know how to USE the stuff. Or does "prostitute's daughter" training also include training in swordsmanship, and handgun, and shotgun - as well as the requisite assault rifle/subgun training and firefight tactics....of course?

Did Eli know before GOD spoke to him. Maybe GOD spoke to her. Just saying. That's the way I took the ending....She was off going to do what GOD told her. But, it really didn't clarify, so that's just my interpretation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...