Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI commander 2011 in 9mm?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I searched around and was wondering if anyone was using a STI 2011 in 9mm with a Commander slide and bushing barrel for ESP? I think it would work great for most IDPA matches with quick draws and fast transitions. The bushing barrel would make it legal and a cut down magwell would make it fit the box. I am not sure if the 131mm mags would fit the box or I would have to use the 124/6mm mags. Let me know if you are using one and how you like it. I have the parts and know how to use the machines :roflol: Thanks, Eric

I have an aluminum framed 4.15 STI. Although mine is a bull barrel (which I thought was IDPA legal on the shorter barreled guns). Anyway , you are correct . It is a sweet handling gun. Fast out of holster and 2" 25yd accrurate and runs 100%. A great combination. Even with the magwell , I can seat 126 length mags just fine.

Hello: I guess none of you guys are using one :roflol: I guess it will be worth a try. Now I have to decide on sights. Target or not to target :surprise: The 131mm mags don't look like they will fit the box. If anyone has some info on spring setups etc let me know. Thanks, Eric

I have a nice one built on an SV frame and grip with a colt slide. I think the 126 mm mags are your best option. I have never used mine in a match however but always thought the same as you. Maybe I will break it out this year and give it a few runs. I shoot CDP 95% of the time but when I do go ESP it is usually with my 9mm Trojan or M&P pro.

Hello: That is what I am going to build for ESP in IDPA. Target sights and all :cheers: I am going to use a Caspian slide and a Briley bushing barrel. I appreciate the pics. I think that is a SVI magwell. I cut down the sides of the STI magwells to fit the box. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I am going to use a Caspian slide and a Briley bushing barrel. I appreciate the pics. I think that is a SVI magwell.

Thats a good idea the time it took me to get that Essex slide into shape was BS, it's ok now but I didn't "save" anything thats for sure. I went with a Scheuman classic barrel and I just checked it against a known SV mag well and thats what it is.

Craig: I still have my STI 2011 I built in 40 for IDPA and Limited. I played around with every type of base pads to fit the box. I ended up making my own so they would fit and also not move around. The Dawson's work well if you drill the hole in the bottom for the STI plastic keeper. I have had the Dawson base pad move and not been able to seat the mag. I should be starting the project soon :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I've never seen a trigger guard before dished out like that in the bottom middle.

I just did that so it would sink over my fat fingers I also sanded off all of the checkering before putting on the tape to reduce the OD of the grip a little bit.

Hello: I received the Briley barrel and bushing today. I have the front sight cut on the Caspian slide done so far. Now I have to fit the slide and frame and barrel. Hopefully I will be able to shoot it in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to shooting this pistol :cheers: Thanks, Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know for sure is the STI Tactical 4.15 legal for ESP?? The way the rules read is a 4.25'' cone barrel is legal meaning no bushing . But the STI is a bull barrel instead of a cone right?? So what do you guys think?? I dont have one yet , but i want one to compete with if it is legal !!

A cone barrel and bull barrel are just different terms for the same thing. The way the rules read, anything 4.25" or longer must be a bushing barrel. So the 4.15" cone/bull barrel is quite legal.

Better check on that, there was a thread over on the IDPA forum about the STI Ranger which was also advertised as a 4.15" barrel. It turned out it measures 4.15" to the end of the slide, not the barrel. The barrel extends past the slide and actually measured 4.29" and there was a question as to its legality. Not sure if the tactical would encounter the same problem.

Either way you would have to remove the recoilmaster as that has definitely been ruled illegal.

Edited by Glshooter

That is a good point that i never thought about , but that is getting awfull picky !! As far as the recoil master that's not a problem i could change that . The other thing i worried about was the dust cover?? It looks to be out to the end of the slide , dont know if it matters on the shorter slide .

Does anyone have a thought on the dust cover issue?? I am looking real hard at one of these and need to be sure i can shoot it in ESP before i purchase .

IMO, you should email info@idpa.com and ask them. That is a fairly large investment, so you will know for sure.

A.T.

From the IDPA Rule Book under EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list) for ESP we find:

1. Full length dust covers of carbon or stainless steel.

That's pretty straightforward. You can't have a steel full-length dust cover in ESP. A standard short steel dust cover, yes. A full-length polymer dust cover, yes. A full-length steel dust cover, no.