Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extreme Budget optic?

Triggerbender

OK, here we go.

Simmons used to make a shotgun scope that was well regarded by some, the Pro Diamond 1.5x5.

I like the size but have never seen the Weaver V3 1x3 in person and am not sure if the 3 power would be enough for me.

Are there any others out there that would be in the same ballpark as the old Pro Diamond? Before I go with the Weaver.

Thanks.

OK, here we go.

Simmons used to make a shotgun scope that was well regarded by some, the Pro Diamond 1.5x5.

I like the size but have never seen the Weaver V3 1x3 in person and am not sure if the 3 power would be enough for me.

Are there any others out there that would be in the same ballpark as the old Pro Diamond? Before I go with the Weaver.

Thanks.

This is worth considering. It's getting pretty good feedback over on ARFCOM:

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?prod...mp;categoryId=2

if you are looking at shotgun scope at a low price tag then the BSA Cateye scope 1.5-4.5 is a very good low end scope. It's optics are at least good as the Simmons. I have used one of these on my slug gun for several years and it has held up to 3 in 12 ga. slugs and turkey loads.

The Weaver and Millet are a better choice for rifles and 3-gun.

The only problem with a shotgun scope is the parallex is set at 50 yards. If you can wait to save a little more the Millet 1-4 is a very good scope for the price. I put one on my backup gun and it is reasonably close to my IOR Valdada 1-4 that is on my primary gun.

+1 on the Millett 1-4. I have one on my AR and it is an amazingly clear scope for a very modest price. It holds a zero perfectly. The only negative is that the lighted reticule is totally inadequate for normal day light.

I'd buy another one in a minute.

I have one of the Milletts, and 4 Weavers. I do not like the Millett and consider the money I spent on it a waste. The Weaver has MUCH better optics, imho. Using the Millett I feel restricted like I'm looking down a paper towel tube. Also, it has very critical eye relief, especially at 4x. There is very little movement allowed as to where you place your eye behind the scope. If you move your head, even a little, right to left or back and forth, you can lose the view through the scope. I don't consider that to be a good thing in a match when time is important.

There seem to be a lot of people who have, and like, their Milletts. That's fine and I wish them well, but I don't personally consider it anything more than a plinking scope. That Primary Arms looks just like the Millett too, so I'd be wary.

I have one of the Milletts, and 4 Weavers. I do not like the Millett and consider the money I spent on it a waste. The Weaver has MUCH better optics, imho. Using the Millett I feel restricted like I'm looking down a paper towel tube. Also, it has very critical eye relief, especially at 4x. There is very little movement allowed as to where you place your eye behind the scope. If you move your head, even a little, right to left or back and forth, you can lose the view through the scope. I don't consider that to be a good thing in a match when time is important.

There seem to be a lot of people who have, and like, their Milletts. That's fine and I wish them well, but I don't personally consider it anything more than a plinking scope. That Primary Arms looks just like the Millett too, so I'd be wary.

Listen to the man!

He speaks with a straight tongue!!!

My experience exactly with the Millet, I handled one on another shooters rifle and found that also.

The OLD Simmons was good in that area and why I asked the original question knowing they don't make that exact model any more and the one they now make to replace it is nowhere near the same in any way (size,shape,style,construction or country of origin) other than it does have a Pro Diamond reticle which is larger by the way and less than sub standard in quality :angry2:

I know this because when I ordered the old original part number I was sent this P.O.S. that broke almost immediately.

Sent it back to Simmons in hopes of getting what I ordered. No make no more! :wacko:

I had the same experience as well. Shot a match almost completely blind as the shooting positions made it very difficult to get the right eye position and the scope was mostly black through the eye piece. The Millett is a clear optic for the money but unless you get your line of sight right, it can be hard to see through. Great for plinking or backup but I prefer different scopes for competition.

Edited by jn-boston