Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep your mags in the bag till it's your time to shoot. The ground is very dry that time of year & the staff ATV's can kick up a LOT of dust.

The match is an excellent way to see how stages are set up outside the USA. Lots of moving and shooting, all diamond targets. Tons of competition from many countries. Great learning experience. ;) Everyone seems to have at least one stage that kicks them in the butt, so forget about prizes, make new friends & have fun.

Is the option to shoot the match on Friday or on Saturday and Sunday? That's what it looks like on the application form.

My grandmother's memorial service is the following weekend, so I was thinking about taking off from CA on the evening of the 19th or on the 20th and staying through the 1st. I'm guessing I won't miss any part of the match, correct?

• 2 weeks later...

I will be attending the Florida Open for the first time and I was wondering....

1. Does a squad list or schedule get posted on the website at some point or do we get a package in the mail saying when we start shooting. I've got my postcard saying I'm in already. I requested a friday slot but have no idea if I got it.

2. Of course I'm bringing lots of ammo, but whats the round count, so I can figure out how much of a cushion to bring.

3. range surface, whats it like, should I wear cleats or hiking treads.

Thanks, ipsc1

Ipsc1,

My comments are based on shooting this match each year that it has been in existance and not because I am a part of it.

1. No squad lists are usually posted on the website or mailed to the competitor. You will likely get the Friday slot if you requested it.

2. I would expect a 300 round match to be on the safe side more if you intent to participate in shootoffs.

3. The majority of the range is grass but they are well known for errecting wooden walkways and platforms that are part of the match. Obviously cleats work best for the grass sections but are not great for wooden slats or plywood decks. Agressive tennis style shoes are likely the best compromise. I am a cleats person and did slip on the wooden decks.

I'm sure that more precise info will be available as soon as all of the stages are finalized.

Leo

The wife told me today that she would like to go to FL. I told her that the FL Open was in Feb. and we could go then. She said ok to it. So now I have to send out my application in the mail tomorrow. God I love that woman. Plan on shooting Fri. will be shooting Open. This will be my first time at the FL Open any tips.

gunruner,

Bring gear for any weather. It will probably be in the low to mid 70's however it could just as easily be low 40's or low 90's. Hopefully no rain!!!

It is a wide open match with no no-shoots and little hard cover. And usually some kind of wierd moving targets.

are the shootoffs a sign up deal, or do you have to do well in order to qualify for them? and are they division by division , or do the production guys go up against the open guys in a random draw.

ipsc1

42 days and counting down :D

Ipsc1,

In previous years the shootoffs have been totally apart from the match.

You paid a fee and they held the shootoffs by class and division to the extent possible with the number of entrants.