Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Must-have upgrades to Remington 11-87?

Pro2AInPA

Well I got an 11-87 for Christmas. It was having some cycling issues but thanks to the helpful folks here, that's all been fixed. Took it out to the range yesterday and it's running absolutely flawlessly.

What are the "must haves" for an 11-87 for use as a 3 gun shotgun? I'm only going to be shooting a few 3 gun matches a year, so I'm not interested in the "sell it and buy a Benelli" comments. :mellow:

I've noticed when loading it that it's a little tough to get a shell into the magazine (I have to push really hard to get it in). Maybe an aluminum follower is in order?

I'll also be adding a Nordic +8 mag extension. Where can I get a plug to plug it for use in tac optics division at 3 gun matches?

Anything else?

I've noticed when loading it that it's a little tough to get a shell into the magazine (I have to push really hard to get it in). Maybe an aluminum follower is in order?

Hammer's cocked at the time, right? On the 1100/1187, apparently the hammer must be back to permit loading of shells into the tube.....

The only "must-have" other than a Nordic tube is either the factory Remington Competition Carrier or a DWM easy-loader. The factory comp carrier has a release button on the carrier that's about twice as big as the stock release.

Hammer's cocked at the time, right? On the 1100/1187, apparently the hammer must be back to permit loading of shells into the tube.....

Yeah it's cocked. I can load the gun. It just feels like either the follower or spring is slightly binding making inserting a new shell difficult. I'm hoping a nordic follower in a nordic tube functions more smoothly.

Maybe the spring is too long which is making it hard to load or there might be dirt in the tube. Beside the Nordic tube and follower, you should get the DMW easy loader and a large bolt handle (Nordic or DMW). A side saddle might be in order if you plan to load from there. Also, round out the rough spots in the loading port to make loading more comfortable.

clean your tube, spring, follower,.......... grit, even very little can cause drag and friction that is perceived to be a great hinderance. look at the inside of your mag tube as well, some have a ridge/seam that runs the length of the tube if so get a different one, Nordics do not have this seam.

A great ,many people do not take great care of thier shotguns the way they should, there is a topic on it in here somewhere from last year or early this year, by me. found it!!!!!!!

keeping your shotgun running!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

Maybe the spring is too long which is making it hard to load or there might be dirt in the tube. Beside the Nordic tube and follower, you should get the DMW easy loader and a large bolt handle (Nordic or DMW). A side saddle might be in order if you plan to load from there. Also, round out the rough spots in the loading port to make loading more comfortable.

I found the DMW site, thanks for the tip. How hard/easy is it to install the easy loader myself?

The only "must-have" other than a Nordic tube is either the factory Remington Competition Carrier or a DWM easy-loader. The factory comp carrier has a release button on the carrier that's about twice as big as the stock release.

Yep!

In addition to cleaning your mag internals, check that the dimples have been removed properly from your magazine tube. I find the OEM Remington plastic follower works best for me, and is much cheaper than the aftermarket metal units.

The EZ Loader is straight forward to install if you are handy with tools, though it does take a lot of patience and care... its a tedious cut-and-try process.

I found the DMW site, thanks for the tip. How hard/easy is it to install the easy loader myself?

Had a gunsmith do mine (when I tried a 11-87). It takes some shorteningand conturing of the forks and to adjust the tension. Good luck......mine just became too heavy fully loaded!

Get parts, lots of extra parts.

I ran one for 5 years, replace anything in the action that starts to look worn. Have extras. Keep it clean and wet with oil and it will run. I drilled out my gas ports a little and it ran Walmart federals just fine. Pay attention to the mag spring if it gets weak it will start to malfunction, so have a spare.

Scott

I sent mine to Dave and had him install it (he charges $25 and that includes return shipping).

As others have said, get a Nordic follower and tube and change your mag spring every year. Also keep it cleaned and lubed. I treat mine like my AR - I clean and oil it after every match.

The 870 I bought a few years ago had a dimple near the far end of the mag tube I had to grind out and smooth. I also radiused and polished / smoothed the stock follower.

Nobody has suggested a pistol grip stock but I rack mine faster with one and thus am less likely to forget to. You'd be surprised at how many shooters I've run who shoot at a bunch of close stuff, take carful aim at a long target only to hear the gun go "click". I'm standing right there and I know they haven't racked one in and it kills me to not tell them. Anyway, a pistol grip stock seems to be a good mod.

You'll probably want to stay away from the side saddle that has a plate you bolt on then attach the shell holder with 6 screws. Even with thread lock those things always seem to end up on the range floor [with your needed ammo] 1/2 into the stage. You will be much happier with the 3gungear.com side saddle. I like the feel of the "field" forend over the "LE" one so I cut out a notch big enough to clear the rounds when I rack it. I'm a lefty so you may not like that mod but it works for me.

EJ

Edited by A well Earled machine