Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super minor

caz41

Making the comp work and shooting minor is kind of an oxy moron.

Try 5 grains of Autocomp.

+1 on the oxy moron thing. Don't think it's gonna happen. If you try to produce enough gas to work the comp (with no matter which powder), you are probably gonna go major. I use 10.2 grains of VVN105 to make major, it almost completely fills the case.

One "trick" is to use the load you normally use for major with your 124 grain bullet & switch to a 95 grain bullet. Lots of gas to work the comp.

Wouldn't that make the round pretty "snappy"? Even with the comp working?

Not necessarily. I think most folks would find the gun is considerably less snappy when they try this.

As to the original question, I've shot plenty of Minor Super in an Open gun and yes, the comp will work with faster powders and lighter loads that aren't even close to Major. Keep in mind that we're going to a much softer load to start with, so the comp doesn't have to do as much in the first place. Back when I could shoot Tues night steel at Rio I would load up a 121gr bullet with Winchester Super Light (WSL) or 231, both of which are pretty fast (somewhere between 5 and 5.5grs for either powder). They had almost no flip and were extremely soft....like squirting a water hose :D

You could get those same basic results (121-125gr bullet going 1000-1200fps) easily with a bunch of powders...231, Titegroup, AutoComp, probably both WSF and WST, and a bunch of others....N320 and Solo 1000 come to mind as well. It's actually a lot of fun to shoot steel with a setup like this and reminds me how noisy and blasty Open guns are at Major (even though I enjoy them). R,

I'm using 4.6 gr of WST for a Bianchi load and that should work for what you have in mind. I get ~ 1095 fps with a 124 MG JHP in a 9X23, but it's basically the same cartridge as the Super. As Bart said, it works the comp to a certain degree, and is a really soft shooting load.

Alan~^~

Looking for a powder that is not super temperature sensitive.

In that case, forget WST! It's inversely proportional on the temperature thing. In extremely hot weather, that load will barely run the gun sometimes. Sorry.

Alan~^~

Looking for a powder that is not super temperature sensitive.

In that case, forget WST! It's inversely proportional on the temperature thing. In extremely hot weather, that load will barely run the gun sometimes. Sorry.

Alan~^~

I'm currently playing in minor with 5.0gr of WST with a 115gr bullet. With a 124 gr I would run 4.8gr of WST. In the non temp sensative category of faster similar behaving powders I would try 4.4-4.6 gr of N320. The 115gr load has about the same recoil as my STI 22lr conversion, aka none shoots super soft. I am running it in a Briley with a lightweight slide barrel and comp with a 10# recoil spring. Your gun has a heavier slide and barrel so you might need to drop the recoil spring down some to run the gun. The 115 load produced 1140 fps.

I tried a number of other powders with poor results. IMR7625, N350, and Accurate 7. All of the slow burning open gun powders produced more recoil. Two friends that run Auto Comp minor loads in their steel masters were complaining last Sunday about their arms, being hit by bits of unburned powder, I didn't have that issue.

TiteGroup is also reverse sensative like WST it gets hot when its cold, plus nasty dirty and burns at excessively high temprature.

If you get a chance try AA#5 about 6.8 grains with a 115 grain bullet, I use this load in my open revolver

and it seems to work well.

Which powder for minor in 38 super with a comp? I found some info searching, but from what I saw I couldn't find anything about which one making the comp work.

124 gr MG bullets