Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus PT1911 vs. STI Spartan

Pro2AInPA

:surprise:

I have had several of the Taurus 1911's come through and Ive done very little to them, Ive changed the sear

per customers request, on all the others just polished and cleaned up, Id say I do less to the Taurus than

most other off the shelve 1911's. They are plenty accurate of USPSA.

Jim

Sailors :devil::sight::P

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had several of the Taurus 1911's come through and Ive done very little to them, Ive changed the sear

per customers request, on all the others just polished and cleaned up, Id say I do less to the Taurus than

Jim

A lot of people who like to bash the Tuarus have never handled one, much less fired one.

Doesn't Sig make a 1911 in that price range?

Jim

A lot of people who like to bash the Tuarus have never handled one, much less fired one.

Doesn't Sig make a 1911 in that price range?

A lot of people who like to bash the Taurus have never handled one, much less fired one.

Yes. :cheers: I currently own 7 Taurus firearms (including 2 revolvers), as well as 2 Glocks, 1 Springfield, 2 S&W's (one is a Model 41), and 1 Sig. I have owned but sold other S&W's, an AMT Hardballer, and other Taurus'. Each has its pro's and con's in terms of features and design points. All have been reliable (except the AMT - that gun had problems) and if you had NO previous knowledge of gun brands, you could not rate one brand better then the others. The guns are different yes and can you rate individual guns based on features.

To the OP, make you selection based desired features and the value the gun presents to YOU! Think of what you want the Gun to do / become then which ever one give YOU the best value!

After shooting my Yonkers made Gold Match for over 15 years, I had a inspector that I worked with pick me up a Stainless PT-1911 over in Vicksburg,Ms. for the tolal sum of 530.00 WITH tax... :unsure::unsure::unsure: I added a FO front sight and a S&A type mag well that I got off of e-bay and had a trigger job done by a smith that lives off of I-10 south of BR... I haven't shot my Kimber since... I even picked my Taurus over the Kimber GM to shoot the 2008 Ga. state match.. and I won my class... thank you very much... since that time I have also picked up a "Black" PT-1911 and have outfitted it the same way.... I use Wilson 10 rounders and have NEVER had a problem with eather gun..... For my money... they can't be beat...... :cheers:

I just wish I could find a PT-1911 in 38 Super to shoot steel with......... <_<<_<<_<

After shooting my Yonkers made Gold Match for over 15 years, I had a inspector that I worked with pick me up a Stainless PT-1911 over in Vicksburg,Ms. for the tolal sum of 530.00 WITH tax... :unsure::unsure::unsure: I added a FO front sight and a S&A type mag well that I got off of e-bay and had a trigger job done by a smith that lives off of I-10 south of BR... I haven't shot my Kimber since... I even picked my Taurus over the Kimber GM to shoot the 2008 Ga. state match.. and I won my class... thank you very much... since that time I have also picked up a "Black" PT-1911 and have outfitted it the same way.... I use Wilson 10 rounders and have NEVER had a problem with eather gun..... For my money... they can't be beat...... :cheers:

I just wish I could find a PT-1911 in 38 Super to shoot steel with......... <_<<_<<_<

I got a ridiculous deal on a lightly used Taurus 1911 so I bought it. :cheers:

I'm going to get a set of Dawson sights and an S&A magwell and she should be good to go. Trigger feels great already. I'm going to shoot her in single stack. Which version of the S&A is legal?

I loaded up a few test rounds of .45ACP and I'll be hitting the range tomorrow with the chrony, even if it is going to be 17 degrees. :surprise:

Obligatory photo:

4259357785_9e6516b7e7_b.jpg

Edited by Pro2AInPA

I'm going to get a set of Dawson sights and an S&A magwell and she should be good to go. Trigger feels great already. I'm going to shoot her in single stack. Which version of the S&A is legal?

I loaded up a few test rounds of .45ACP and I'll be hitting the range tomorrow with the chrony, even if it is going to be 17 degrees. :surprise:

Obligatory photo:

Good looking gun, and for the record, this one is legal in single stack and should be quite competitive. :cheers:

Obligatory photo:

Good looking gun, and for the record, this one is legal in single stack and should be quite competitive. :cheers:

Thanks!

I was wondering though how big I can go on a magwell and still be legal for SS.

The real question is how they hold up after 5k rounds or more......... I am a sucker for a bargain, but hate guns that rattle when you shake them (especially when new).

Right now it's just about as tight as the custom shop Springfield I used to own.

I'm not too worried. There is an EXCELLENT 1911 smith right around the corner should it need any fitting.

Someone may have mentioned this before, but you would serve yourself by downloading a copy of the rules and reading them. If you don't want to do that, do a search on single stack magwell and read all the posts on how folks have tackled the problem of fitting in the box. With the high rear sight on that gun you probably can't go with the largest of magwells (like the Techwell XT), but the only way to know is make a box or trace the outlines of one on some cardboard.

Someone may have mentioned this before, but you would serve yourself by downloading a copy of the rules and reading them. If you don't want to do that, do a search on single stack magwell and read all the posts on how folks have tackled the problem of fitting in the box. With the high rear sight on that gun you probably can't go with the largest of magwells (like the Techwell XT), but the only way to know is make a box or trace the outlines of one on some cardboard.

That sight is getting replaced with a Dawson rear, which is probably just as high if not higher.

The real question is how they hold up after 5k rounds or more......... I am a sucker for a bargain, but hate guns that rattle when you shake them (especially when new).

Right now it's just about as tight as the custom shop Springfield I used to own.

I'm not too worried. There is an EXCELLENT 1911 smith right around the corner should it need any fitting.

The parts you should worry about are those in the FCG; specifically, the hammer and sear.

Three close friends of mine have owned Taurus 1911s. The first decided to pre-emptively replace the internals, only to find that the pin hole spacing was off-spec - IIRC, it required a special long sear to correct (there is somebody who offers these aftermarket... EGW maybe?). The other two developed hammer follow issues within short order, mandating replacement of the hammer and sear. Luckily for those two, the pin holes were in spec and they didn't have issues with a smith installing new internals. One of those two sold his Taurus after it was restored to working order, simply because he didn't trust it anymore, and went back to his Springfields. The other is still running, AFAIK.

The parts you should worry about are those in the FCG; specifically, the hammer and sear.

Three close friends of mine have owned Taurus 1911s. The first decided to pre-emptively replace the internals, only to find that the pin hole spacing was off-spec - IIRC, it required a special long sear to correct (there is somebody who offers these aftermarket... EGW maybe?). The other two developed hammer follow issues within short order, mandating replacement of the hammer and sear. Luckily for those two, the pin holes were in spec and they didn't have issues with a smith installing new internals. One of those two sold his Taurus after it was restored to working order, simply because he didn't trust it anymore, and went back to his Springfields. The other is still running, AFAIK.

Thanks for the heads up. It'll be a while til this gets shot in a match. I'll have a smith look over it before it does.

Thanks for the heads up. It'll be a while til this gets shot in a match. I'll have a smith look over it before it does.

Well I hit the range yesterday with the Taurus 1911.

Accurate? Check.

Good trigger? Check.

Tight fit? Check.

Once I get a Techwell and some Dawson sights on this thing, I'll be very happy. :goof:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a pt1911 and see no reason to think of buying anything else at this time. Good, accurate,reliable. (Shrug) why would I want to replace it?

Never had a STI so no thoughts on them

The PT 1911 I have I shoot IDPA with and have over 2500 rnds through and that is just the documented reloads. I have no idea of the wwb I have shot.with zero issues! Maybe some day who knows but most handguns have issues of some kind in their usable lifespan.

But then I drive fords also No government motors for me. :roflol::sight:

Why do I get the feeling some people still think the Spartan is made by STI?

(Not that there's anything wrong with the Spartan, or most of the other Filipino pistols on the market.)

Spartan frames and slides come from the Philippines but are fitted here, and the internals in the Spartan are standard STI fodder. Given a choice between these two, I'd pick the Spartan without a doubt. The Taurus internals are entirely MIM parts.

Also, it'll need a magwell. Is the S&A the most popular option around here?

If you want to use this pistol for Single Stack or IDPA as well as L10, the S&A is a good choice. If you're solely going the L10 route I'd recommend an ICE magwell from Dawson.

Spartan! Frame and slide made in PI and lock work is standard STI that will take trigger work without issue. Slap a real piece of fiber optic and you're good to go. As far as who or where it's made. It's how the parts are fitted together folks and these are good. Tell you what you buy a Spartan and don't like it, I'll buy it from you for 500 bucks sight unseen.

• 2 years later...

I've got a PT-1911 which I bought out of curiosity and must say I've had no trouble with it. Seems plenty accurate and has held up well. Filed about 25 thousandths off the front sight and now it shoots to POA @ 25 yards.