Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian Mags

mike4045

Anyone have a source for Caspian hi cap 38 super and 40 mags? Thinking about buying a gun and need to know if I can even get mags. I know STI mags are easy enough to get, I have never had a reason to look for any.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Unfortunately at this time the only Hi-CAP Caspian Mags you will find are used. Caspian has not sold any replacement bodies since the ban. The Caspian originial mags will only be 38super-9mm. Fred Craig did have 40 mags for a while but I think he is probably all sold out.

Alan

(Hopefully the ban will expire and this wont be an issue in the future)

I bought a pair from Wayne Berquist (gunsmith & very good guy) in 2001. Dunno if he still has them. They were original Caspian 19-rounders, blued, not chrome. $60 each.

Coupla guys on uspsa classifieds had them. I was leery of sending money and hoping for a package to arrive from someone I've never met. I know some guys who bought guns that way, guns did arrive, but they were junk...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

hopefully this dreaded ban will decide to leave us.

let the magazines and bullets flow freely into our targets.....

i guess we cant call them Hi-caps once the ban is gone, they will be regular magazines...

i believe this will be a big boost in our sport.

The EAA mags will work, they just need to be tuned. The problem is getting EAA to send you the correct mag tubes. I tried for close to 2 months to get unblocked (non 10rnd mags) from EAA. I called them and told them what I wanted - they sent me 10rnd mags. All I wanted was the unblocked tubes. I called back, told them what I wanted - they sent me 10rnd mags. This went on for a while and I wound up w/ 10rnd mags each and every time. A few years ago, Craig was selling replacement tubes that would work in a Caspian - I think they were either EAA or MecGar.

I first saw the Tanfoglio-in-a-Caspian rumor spread by the French shooter Eric Grauffel on his website forum here: http://grauffel.free.fr

He also believes that Tanfoglio magazines (EAA is the US importer for some, though not all, Tanfoglio products) can be modified to work in Caspian high capacity frames. He shoots a Tanfoglio & has done quite well with it; I suppose he is in a position to know. I also understand that Caspian tubes here in the US can be a little hard to come by. I do hope all this non sense goes away in a few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Good news, This was posted by Gary over on 1911forum

It looks like it's really going to happen, and I'll admit I didn't think it would. We are now gearing up for .38S 19 rd mags. Trying to have better welds than the last run. We are also lookinging into stick mags. a

Alan Meek of Virginia sent us some of his prototypes to test of a 17 round .40 and they work flawlessly. The downside is that they will take longer to crank up than the .38s. because we'll have to modify our tooling.

Gary Smith

caspianarm@aol.com

802 72 6454

• 2 weeks later...

The answer to the EAA/Mec-gar question is Yes. The large frame magazines (38S & 45ACP) for the Tanfoglios will work in a Caspian.

I have a Fred Craig assembled 170 mag that was made from two Mec-Gar 45 ACPs. I ran the Craig Caspian replacement tubes (140 & 170) in my Tanfoglio 38 super for two years (No, I did not manufacture new magazines).

Kenny

I have modified an EAA 38super mag to work in my 1st gen Caspian hi-cap in 38super. I had to used a caspian follower and a browning hi-power wolffe 10+ spring, also used an extended base plate which brought the capacity to 21 rounds. It was flawless in 38 supercomp, but I had a bit of a headache with 38super. The mag body ended up developing vertical cracks one at the front and another on the side. I think I enduced them because I used a vise to squeeze them judiciously to make them fit a 1st gen hi cap. I did have to trim the feed lips some and also modify the mag catch hole. Would I do it again? Probably not, the mag cost around $125 to make, and all it's doing is sitting around as proof for my replacement long stick I paid $150 for. I'm going to rejoice once this ban sunsets, ooops I forgot I'm from California. :(:o