Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Orange basepads legal for SSP?

Chris Cord

In trying to keep training/competition (Glock) magazines seperate from my others, I've thought about putting orange basepads on them. Most likely they would be aftermarket (Lone Wolf). Is this legal for SSP or any division in IDPA?

If it makes any difference, the orange basepads I get from Lone Wolf are actually OEM Glock, intended to identify training mags.

Curtis

I don't believe there's any problem complying with the rules anyway. This is a Glock OEM part.

OK, bad choice of words ..... how about no *question* about complying with the rules? Numbered mags are also easier to help keep track of problem mags, and/or which mags are performing 100%.

I've been using the Glock orange baseplates on my competition mags (blue baseplates on my son's mags) for several years. Sanctioned matches and all. It has never crossed my mind that they might be illegal. Nobody has ever said anything. If you can refinish and/or color your gun, I suspect you can also change the color of parts.

Koski

I actually have one of the old non-drop-free training mags Glock made years ago that are entirely creamsicle orange (except for the the black follower and sub-floorplate), even the tube. I've used it as my Barney mag in matches numerous times, and no one has ever questioned or even mentioned it. Which is a bit of a bummer, actually. Even one, "Wow, that's really cool, I didn't know there was such a thing as an orange Glock mag," would have nurtured my sense of privileged exclusivity. :(

In addition to using the orange baseplates, I also melted A B C D E into the bottom of them (gas stove and a dental pick). Mag B won't accept a 15th round lately for some reason, and it rattles, but is stone cold reliable - not sure what is up. Works fine for IDPA matches. The B baseplate will probaly go on a new mag soon.

I actually have one of the old non-drop-free training mags Glock made years ago that are entirely creamsicle orange (except for the the black follower and sub-floorplate), even the tube. I've used it as my Barney mag in matches numerous times, and no one has ever questioned or even mentioned it. Which is a bit of a bummer, actually. Even one, "Wow, that's really cool, I didn't know there was such a thing as an orange Glock mag," would have nurtured my sense of privileged exclusivity. :(

I'd give you that ---- but once upon a time, I had a few previously owned ones......

They were popular used sales items at GSSF matches in the early '00s.....

Probably less so since fall of '04......

Thanks for clearing it up. I didn't think it would matter but since IDPA limits what can be done to a gun in SSP with OEM and non OEM parts, thought I would make sure.

I've been debating on doing the orange pad or as Chris K. mentioned just numbering them for the same reasons (tracking problems, etc.)

Decisions, decisions...

Maybe I am reading this wrong....But...Using a mag for live ammo that is the same color of a training mag that can't be loaded seems "wrong", or even irresponsible, to me.

Merlin,

I believe the orange mags were designed as fully functional training/practice mags --- the idea being you'd carry pristine "duty" mags and put a lot of wear and tear on the orange practice mags....

Maybe I am reading this wrong....But...Using a mag for live ammo that is the same color of a training mag that can't be loaded seems "wrong", or even irresponsible, to me.

Merlin,

I believe the orange mags were designed as fully functional training/practice mags --- the idea being you'd carry pristine "duty" mags and put a lot of wear and tear on the orange practice mags....

Understood... My mistake.

The story (which may or may not be true, natch) is that at one point in years past a police department went to Glock and said, "Hey, we'd like to be able to easily differentiate our training magazines from our duty mags, could you make the training mags a different color?" "Sure." "How about orange?" Thus the creamsicle orange Glock OEM magazine. That's what I meant by "training magazine." This is a fully functional, non-drop-free, 17-round Glock 9mm magazine that just happens to be made of orange instead of black plastic. I have used it in live fire many times. It works.

The story (which may or may not be true, natch) is that at one point in years past a police department went to Glock and said, "Hey, we'd like to be able to easily differentiate our training magazines from our duty mags, could you make the training mags a different color?" "Sure." "How about orange?" Thus the creamsicle orange Glock OEM magazine. That's what I meant by "training magazine." This is a fully functional, non-drop-free, 17-round Glock 9mm magazine that just happens to be made of orange instead of black plastic. I have used it in live fire many times. It works.

They were also available in 15 round G-19 guise, as G-22 and 23 mags, and as G-20/21 mags, IIRC.....

~2002-3, they were fairly popular on the armorer's table/designated vendor's table at GSSF matches....

Sorry to burst your bubble, but...we've had this conversation before. You might be the only one that didn't know there was such a thing as orange Glock mags. :roflol:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1026620