Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need to buy a Limited Gun

grkmec

Another +1 for SVI. You can build a gun to your specifications on their gun builder or order from a stocking dealer as mentioned above. Like everything in the world its personel preference so see if ya cant shoot a variety of guns before you buy.

The one "problem" with that is that there are so many options on Gunbuilder that it can be overwhelming for someone who doesn't really know exactly what they want. Granted, that's a good thing for many folks, it can be a little intimidating. I'm sure a call to SV would help make it less of a concern for some folks. R,

true, but if you dont know what something is generally you can click on it, ie slide profile, radial flute, hammer type and it will show you the options. Not everything works but f r the most part, if your not sure it will show ya. So if you wanna see the differnce between a 3 sided slide and a 5 where it says Slide Profile, just click that and it will give yor a picture of the options. Calling and talking to someone is always nice too.

I wish it showed the options together on a gun so could get a idea of what it will look like when finished. I liked the explanations they gave but was having trouble picturing the finished product in my head

+1 on giving Matt Cheely a call..he is always available when you need to talk to him ,can be very patient when you ask him with a ton of stupid questions and he builds AWESOME Guns ..he built 2 for me this year and hoping to get some more next year...

Edited by ogiebb

+1 on giving Matt Cheely a call..he is always available when you need to talk to him ,can be very patient when you ask him with a ton of stupid questions and he builds AWESOME Guns ..he built 2 for me this year and hoping to get some more next year...

Their are some many good smiths out there how to choice? One that I have not seen mentioned is Virgil Tripp. He built a 6" last year for me. It looks great and shoots great. Sometimes it pays to spend a little more up front. Another nice thing about Virgil is his price is about the same as a stock STI and less than a stock SVI. His wait time is about a month or so.

The man started the whole thing so how can you go wrong.

Strong C-level shooter here shooting limited minor with a Sig X5 Tactial. I am looking to buy a .40 Limited gun. I don't really have a budget and willing to pay up if it makes sense. The bare minimum I am considering is a Brazos HP Edge. Also thinking about the Brazos SC. Very open to other custom limited guns. I know my question is somewhat vague but it is because I have no idea what I want. Help me do some Christmas shopping!

I would suggest that you wait until "you" know what "you" actually need. More importantly, test drive as many guns as you can. What may look cool on the screen, may shoot like crap in your hands. Shoot other peoples gun's, not hard to do, most guys would trip over themselves, at least around here, to help you out. Happened just last match. Most everything about everyone's gun is preference. And most guns are like snowflakes, even the ones that appear the same are different. Homework is good, but what you'll hear here is what everyone likes about "their" pistol. Take the advise with that in mind, chase it with a grain of salt. And what may appear as something desirable, because everyone has one, may not be to you when you actually have it. I can't tell you how much time and money I've wasted chasing other peoples preferences.

Take your time, do it rite.

When you have everything figured out, then give Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting sport a call. :cheers:

I have to put a plug in for Matt Cheely. I bought one of his limited guns on this forum, its a great pistol! I met him at Area 5, he is a super nice guy. Btw did mention he can shoot?

Your shooting a hinged trigger gun and have developed skill with it. Moving to a 1911 is a change in trigger style so it will take some adjustment. Also your use to the Sig grip and angel. But in looking at guns of similar physical attributes. The closest thing is the EAA Limited or the CZ TS both of which are inferior to what you are currently shooting. The EAA with lot of work I think comes out a better limited gun due to the longer chamber length. The CZ TS starts better out of the box. And it is a crap shoot on either when you open the box if you get a good tight gun or loosey goosey gun, same goes for STI.

I think that you would find the HPF Edge too heavy for your taste, the HPF edge is just a hardchromed edge, I have one of each, mh HPF is a Dawson and it is a very tight nice running gun I think he picks the better ones to use for the HPF. Custom guns in general have a tighter slide fit and some other things that make them a little better and possibly a little more accurate. Not knowing what you want its hard to tell the smith how to build the gun.

To the point I acquired an Infinity with both 9 mm and 40 S&W barrels breach etc and this has now become my favorite gun, it is lighter than an edge because the slide is tritopped. The lighter slide makes the gun easier to drive and it cycles very nice while the heavier edge has become somewhat sluggish as my speed has gotten faster. The Infinity aka SVI even factory gun has the same tolerances as a full custom, they build very good guns. Well that is my vote go for something with a little lighter slide but not too radical. You may be able to get one fairly quick rather than an infernal wait of 6 or 8 months. You willl almost always have to have a little trigger work tweaking after you run the gun for couple thousand rounds, to get the feel that you want. Same goes for the HPF it is a good trigger, but who wants just good, I like awesome, and my smith took it to 1.5 and it rocks.

Do I know about CZ's check the picture. Got pics of HPF check my web site gallery.

I would add another nod for an SVI Sight tracker and Bedell. I have a 2 SV's and 1 Bedell, not 1 problem with them ever (another SV on order)! These guns are extremely accurate, now if I could get the knucklehead behind the trigger to do his part. :blink:

*** UPDATE ***

Thanks you to everyone for their advice - got a lot of feedback and suggestions in this thread and via PM's.

I ended up buying (2) pistols from Matt Cheely:

1) .40S&W limited gun

2) 9mm IDPA compliant gun

I should have the .40S&W by the 1st week of January and the 9mm by mid February.

I also picked up plenty of mags from Bobby at Freedom.

I will be sure to post pics when I get everything...

Just need to buy go a proper holster, belt and mag carriers now. Oh, and some .40S&W ammo, cause I don't have any :)

it could turn into an addiction......:)

Nice score on the classifieds!

thanks, yes a limited gun to get started with, this will allow me time to find out exactly what I like and not like so I may have another (spare :surprise: ) built or bought.

Too late for me I have the bug..........some get sports cars for a midlife crisis, me I am going shooting..:)

Edited by fastarget

• 2 weeks later...
I don't really have a budget and willing to pay up if it makes sense.

I have a refurbished G22 that is perfect for your needs, and I'll even let you have it for $500 less than any of the other suggestions you've received so far. Let me know, and you can send me certified funds for $1800 and I'll ship it to your local FFL :rolleyes: Look forward to hearing from you. Ciao for now.

-br

You must be kidding for a Glock.....