Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS Tri-Gun Challenge

I sure hope not to Iowa.... remember the last time we were in Iowa Corey...... never again.... haha

Id just like to know if I made the wonderful list of fun. That way I can get days off, or if I didnt make it, get my entry form turned in for a local match.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So maybe there are still live rumors of a change of venue...I really hope we get some concrete answers soon... :mellow:

Yup, there are. The rumor I am talking about does not involve Iowa.

I heard a Nebraska rumor... Either way I'll go, I just wanna shoot :cheers:

It would be a large mistake to move the event at this late date. I would rather do a .22 LR and shotgun match as opposed to moving the event at his time if the problem is centerfire cartridges at the range. Heck, I would rather it be a shotgun only match as opposed to moving it.

Hey..have you heard the rumor that the match is being run by transvestite aliens dressed like Elvis? :surprise:

Me either.....the match is still at the Del-tone range in St. Cloud, MN.

Thanks man, now I feel much better about the whole deal. I knew somebody here would have the answer.

The word going around at the PanAm is that the match has been cancelled. Can anyone confirm?

If so.....that really sucks for those of us that already bought and paid for travel. We purchased our travel as soon as we found out we were in. If the word travelling around is true, that totally blows. :angry:

Below is the message from Randy Luth posted on the Del-Tone Luth Website. Now is the time to really show our support to Randy and our sport. If the Del-Tone/Luth Range losses this battle, 3-gun events in Minnesota will be very limited to non-existent as most clubs/ranges can't host such an event.

"Range Closure" Del-Tone /Luth Gun Range July 30, 2010

Fellow Shooters;

As many of you know,shooting range and firearms owners face ongoing battles regarding the exercise of our constitutional rights. Del-tone/Luth Gun Club recently found itself in the middle of one of these battles. For more than 30 years our gun club has been the site of a shooting range where rifles and handguns have been used by many. However, recently we have come under attack for allowing the use of handguns on our range. Sherburne County has served us with a lawsuit alledging that handgun use is not permitted at Del-tone.

I would like to bring you up to date on the issue of shooting Handguns at Del-Tone. The County initiated a demand letter dated June 7, which indicates that we are in violation of a Conditional Use Permit that was issued in 1995 for a Trap Range & Rifle Range, even though all types of firearms have been shot at the range prior to 1995.

I than called the County and asked for a meeting which was granted on June 21st. At that meeting I was served a summons by the Sheriffs Office that initiates a law suit against Del-tone for violation of the CUP for shooting handguns.

The law suit is on the back burner to see if we can work out the issue, however, at this time we must cease shooting handguns, which did occur on June 8th.

Initially I was hoping to resolve the CUP issue without legal counsel, however when I was served the summons for violating the CUP (Rifle Range vs. Shooting Range (handguns)), I noticed in the summons that the County Attorney also included a violation of allowing "rapid fire weapons" which I have no clue what a "rapid fire weapon" is? With this additional restriction of "rapid fire weapons" included in the summons, I decided to hire legal counsel.

Basically what has happened is the Sherburne County Attorneys’ office has filed a law suit against the club/range for shooting handguns because the 1995 CUP was submitted as a Rifle range. Obviously handguns have been shot at this gun club for over 30 years with no issues, as it pertains to rapid fire weapons, we do not allow rapid fire shooting on the gun ranges as a good neighbor gesture to the few homes in the surrounding area. If in fact the County is referring to "select fire weapons" such as machine guns or full auto firearms, we have a policy that full auto is not allowed for business reasons and not because it violates any state, federal or local zoning restrictions.

In the meantime we continue to lose income from the loss of CCW classes, the loss of Cowboy Action Shooting (SASS), the loss of daily handgun shooters, the loss of law enforcement shooters who need to remain proficient, the loss of 3 gun events, etc.

As we were preparing to address the handgun issue, on July 21st we were notified by the Zoning Department that the rifle range is not technically located on the proper plat that the 1994 conditional use permit was applied for. Obviously the previous owners built the rifle/gun ranges on the west side of the fence line that separated the family’s property. However over the years the legal description does not match the fence line.

The County now has demanded that the entire Rifle Range be closed until we apply for an amended CUP or a New CUP.

To argue our point, we will meet with the Board of Adjustments on Aug 12 at 6:00 PM to prove that the Rifle/Gun Range has been on the same location since the early 70’s and that it should be grandfathered in and for other technical reasons. This meeting will be held at:

Government Center in Elk River

13880 Hwy 10 Business Center Dr.

Elk River, MN 55330

Regardless of that outcome we will go before the Haven Township Board on Aug. 16th at 7:00 PM to amend our CUP to include all types of firearms including handguns and to include the correct plat that the rifle range now sits on. This meeting will be held at:

Haven Township Hall:: 4230 45th Avenue SE, St Cloud, MN 56304 http://haventwpmn.govoffice2.com/

On Aug 19th at 6:30 we must also meet with the Sherburne County Planning Commission at the:

Government Center in Elk River

13880 Hwy 10 Business Center Dr.

Elk River, MN 55330

I appreciate all the support and patience from our friends, members, & customers, and you can rest assured that we will fight this case diligently.

It is our intention and always has been to provide a safe range as well as a responsible range. The last thing we want or any of our shooters want is a round to leave the range or to allow irresponsible practices or policies.

We hope that you will be able to attend these meetings and we would ask that all pro-range supporters wear a RED or BLACK shirt, we would also ask that all shooteres act professionally.

Sincerely,

Randy E. Luth

Owner

Del-Tone/Luth Gun Range

Luth Unlimited LLC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please help us by calling your local County Commissioner or Representative and let them know how important range preservation is to you. Having a right with nowhere to exercise that right is no right at all.

Zoning Department: 763/241-241-2900 800/438-0578

County Attorney: Tim Sime 763/241-2900 800/438-0578

County Commissioner: Board Chair - Felix Schmiesing / District 4 which includes Del-Tone/Luth Gun Club 763-241-2701 / 320-743-2600

County Commissioner: Rachel Leonard W) 763-241-2701 H) 763-856-2497

County Commissioner: Larry Farber W) 763-241-2701 Cell) 763/913-8809

County Commissioner: Ewald Peterson 763/241-2701 763/263-3078

County Commissioner: John Riebel W) 763-241-2701 H) 263-263-2056

I am still hoping that everything gets worked out, to include the pistol.

I know how tough it is on those of you that have to travel a long distance, most of the matches we go to are a couple days drive. This one is only an 8 hour drive and those of us from here would really miss it if it went away. I am still planning on bringing my pistol, just in case!

I will be all calling the County Comissioners tomorrow to show my support for Randy and the range. I urge you all to call at least one commish and lend your support.

Doug

I am still hoping that everything gets worked out, to include the pistol.

I know how tough it is on those of you that have to travel a long distance, most of the matches we go to are a couple days drive. This one is only an 8 hour drive and those of us from here would really miss it if it went away. I am still planning on bringing my pistol, just in case!

I will be all calling the County Comissioners tomorrow to show my support for Randy and the range. I urge you all to call at least one commish and lend your support.

Doug

For all who have made reservations at local hotels, rented cars etc. be sure to inform them why you are canceling your reservations. I have found in the past, that unhappy local business owners are more than willing to give their local politicians an ear full about lost revenue.

Just make the match all shotgun stages if they cant work it out!!

That way we can all come and show up enjoy shooting and stick it right in the people causing the problems ass!! They dont want to see the event happen so when we still come shoot and enjoy our 2nd amendment rights they can be all mad and then while we are there we can call the local tv stations and get some coverage about what these people are trying to do!!

There is strength in numbers!

Hello All-

As Villamor's posting of Randy's letter indicates, the situation with the range is much more serious than just the elimination of the use of handguns, it has now extended to the use of rifles as well. Obviously it is very hard to host a 3-gun match when you are limited to the use of just one type of firearm, and for that reason we initially discussed moving the match to the Heartland Shooting Park in Grand Island, Nebraska. I can tell you from firsthand knowledge that the park is wonderful and both they, and Hornady have bent over backwards trying to help facilitate the move. However due to the very tight time frame and concerns on whether we could pull off a move and still provide you all with the match experience that you've come to expect from DPMS, we decided against moving the match. That leaves us with just two options: change the match to a shotgun only match or cancel that match completely. Nobody at DPMS wants to have to cancel the match, mainly due to the effect it would have on you the shooters, especially those of you who have booked your airline travel. The other option, a shotgun only match, was one that we thought about but didn't know if you guys would still attend the match considering you signed up for a 3-gun. So I ask you this, if DPMS made the 2010 Tri-Gun Challenge into a shotgun only match, would you all still come and help support DPMS, Del-Tone and Randy Luth as we work to squelch this attack on our second amendment rights? I need all of those who are on the conditional shooters list (and those of you who would be willing to take the place of those who say no) to sound off and let me know; yes, I would still come, or no I won't. Your responses will help dictate the final decision, but it is a decision that must be made quickly so I need everyone to spread the message. Post your response here, or email me at lear@dpmsinc.com, but please sound off on whether you feel we should continue with the match this year (as a shotgun only match) or if we should just try again next year. The fate of the 2010 Tri-Gun Challenge is in your hands.

Lea L Ramthun

Tri-Gun CHallenge Coordinator

It is a bad decision not to move the match. Any logistical issue would have been understood. Move the match to Rockcastle where we just had the Pan Am they have an entire paid staff to help run the match and theire are several strong clubs in that area to support set -up

Since I am stuck with two airline tickets I guess I am in for shotgun only. The fee should be reduced and the number of match days reduced as well

Edited by ap3

Both my friend and I are on the conditional shooters list. If there is any way we could shoot the match in a one day format we will come. otherwise there is a very slim chance we would attend.

Leah,

Do the shotgun only match for this year due to the circumstances. I know you guys could put on a GREAT one!! Then worry about next year....next year.

I'd come to the match no matter what.

Tim

I am in for a shotgun only match. We all should be in, it may not be ideal, but the whole idea is to support the club, Randy, and DPMS. Plus show all the people trying to screw the club that we still will show up and shoot.