Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock build ?

caz41

Hey guys I am about to start my Open Glock build and have a question. First off a little background to help with some insight. I am doing this build for several reasons. 1. I have carried a Glock on duty for 12 years now, which means that I have put more rounds through it than anything else by far. 2. I can't for sure say that I will have the time to devote to this that I intend to at this point. 3. Because tons of people say that you have to spend big bucks to be competitive. And I want to try to beat them with the ole reliable.

Anyways back to the question. Is it worth getting the SJC package for $1800 and having them do everything. Or can a guy get by with adding a barrel, comp, etc. like SJC, LW, etc. and piecing it together. How much different is the package going to be?

I'm sure that plenty of more questions will come up, but I really want to limit the thread to this specific question first so I know which way to go to get the ball rolling. Thanks

I don't have an open Glock.

I have shot with and used an

SJC built one- and I'll say this-

if you want the best and have

the $$ have a company that

builds open Glocks build you

one! You can't and wont go

wrong. What ever you decide

best of luck-Brother ;)

Hello: I bought all the parts and built my own. It took some time to figure out all the loads that work,springs etc. Is it the best open pistol--no I don't think so but for less than $1000 it is great for shooting steel and some open work. I shoot a Glock for Production but for open I think the tried and true STI/SVI plateform is the way to go. You can find a used STI open pistol for less than $2000 if your are patient. I like my Glock open pistol but the STI open pistols are just that much better. Thanks, Eric

If your purpose to shoot to have fun then build your own.

If your purpose is to win local and area matches then have SJC build it.

If your purpose is to win the USPSA Nationals then an S_I platform for the round count and rebuild ability.

How much difference will there be between just adding a barrel with screw on comp and trigger job, compared to the SJC kit?

I've wondered the same thing. I built a .40 cal "Stealth" SJC clone before there was one. I also built an SJC clone in 9MM I shoot for steel matches (3 or 4 matches a year). Now I am collecting parts to build a major 9 open gun on a CCF SS frame. The problem is I shoot each gun about 2 times a year and never practice. I am sure my home built gun is not the limiting factor in my shooting thus far, but I never actually shot a professionally built gun either. (Thread drift, I take that back, I shot a briley "link less" (I think) single stack in 38 super once with minor loads, it was like a sewing machine, the slide moved back and forth, made alot of noise, but hardly moved in recoil)

I plan to shoot more this coming year and see if my home brews hold up. I would like to shoot a SJC built gun though for comparison. You may be able to pick-up a lightly used SJC if you place a "want to buy" add in the classifieds.

How much difference will there be between just adding a barrel with screw on comp and trigger job, compared to the SJC kit?

I plan to shoot more this coming year and see if my home brews hold up. I would like to shoot a SJC built gun though for comparison. You may be able to pick-up a lightly used SJC if you place a "want to buy" add in the classifieds.

I would, however you need to have 50+ posts in order to start a thread in the classified section, and I am a bit short of that. I suppose I could jump around and make garbage posts until I got to 50, but I am not "that guy"

I would, however you need to have 50+ posts in order to start a thread in the classified section, and I am a bit short of that. I suppose I could jump around and make garbage posts until I got to 50, but I am not "that guy"

Assuming you are a USPSA member (you should be) you can post a "WTB" ad there.

Jim

If you want an open Glock that will flat out run...then SJC!

If you like tinkering...then build it yourself.

I have yet to meet anyone that was not happy with thier SJC. Great product and customer service. Plus they look cool!

The moderating team appreciates that! :D

Anyways back to the question. Is it worth getting the SJC package for $1800 and having them do everything. Or can a guy get by with adding a barrel, comp, etc. like SJC, LW, etc. and piecing it together. How much different is the package going to be?

I'm sure that plenty of more questions will come up, but I really want to limit the thread to this specific question first so I know which way to go to get the ball rolling. Thanks

I think that having a gun built is the way to go, if you can easily swing the financial differential between buying the parts and slapping them on and having it built....

I tried to build my own open gun a few years and failed; I've seen and shot a few that have been homebuilt by more talented folks than me --- some of which turned out to be nice and reliable. Comes down to what your time is worth, and how badly you want to learn to do this....

If I go Open again, I'd go SJC....

I have 2 SJC guns a 35 stealth and a 9mm They are without a doubt more than the sum of their parts. I also have a stock 35, I can shoot half the group size with the SJC gun, I put iron sight on the 35 just cause Im much faster with iron sights but I have committed this winter to learn the Dot for the 9mm major gun. If you can afford it guy one. If you cant then build one. Are they worth the money? Thats a relative question to what you can afford. I love glocks so I love them.

Hey guys I am about to start my Open Glock build and have a question. First off a little background to help with some insight. I am doing this build for several reasons. 1. I have carried a Glock on duty for 12 years now, which means that I have put more rounds through it than anything else by far. 2. I can't for sure say that I will have the time to devote to this that I intend to at this point. 3. Because tons of people say that you have to spend big bucks to be competitive. And I want to try to beat them with the ole reliable.

if money is of no matter than do it but only if you have personal liking for Glock. Meaning if money is of no matter then you can get a better Open if you consider a 1911 or Tangfolio platform.

In my world the main and really only speakable difference between the Glock and the others is the trigger. While it will never be as good as a 1911 you can get close. Everything else beside the trigger you can do by your own. So my advice would be to get a trigger job done by someone and do the rest on your own.

As I am in Europe I could not have Charley Vanek or SJC do the job so I did it myself with a Glockworkx Trigger. The trigger is fine but could be much better I am sure. Everything else I did by myself and I am a guy who is completely hopeless doing anything by himself.

I am very happy with my Open Glock as it did cost me less than $ 1500 and thats dirt cheap considering that everything is much more expensive here in Europe. Also at least 95% of what I am missing compared to a top class shooter is me and not the gun. So no reason to pay 3 times that for another platform.

If however, the gun will ever make the difference between a top 3 finish and a non top 3 finish I will go out there and buy the best gun available no matter the cost. But until then it is Glock all the way

I have 2 open G 34s, both have KKM barrels and KKM 4 port comps. One has THE brass mag well and melted/bullet proof DR red dot, the other has a ICE mag well and a Fast Fire II red dot.

I see no reason to have a open gun made by someone when there so easy to do yourself.

The diffrence between my stock 35 with a drop in KKM barrel and my SJC 35 with a fitted KKM barrel is about 2" at 20 yards, and probibily 4 lbs of trigger pull. My SJC 9mm trigger is insane. It is easy to throw a bunch of parts into a glock 35 and shoot open. But I own 3 glocks and 2 of them are from SJC, I couldnt buy parts and reproduce what they did. If you have the money buy one and you wont be dissapointed. If that is to much money to swing than piece one together. I just know that I have got by with pieced together guns for my most of my adult life, but I have decided that if this hobby is worth doing I want better equipment, I just cant get my self to buy a 1911/2011 open gun, the guns is only part of the battle then you have to buy mags and everything else. Glocks are much simpler, and cheaper to me.

Rupie,

This is a bit of a thread drift but......

Quick question for you, Does the trigger in your SJC open gun break quick at the middle of the trigger guard or does it break near the rear of the trigger guard? Can you post a picture of the trigger location when the gun is ready to fire and then a picture of the trigger location after the striker has been released?

Can anyone else post a picture of that?

The reason I ask is I have a trigger in one of my Glocks that is short and crisp but the reset is a little longer than my other triggers and the trigger remians pretty much in the middle of the trigger guard. All of my other triggers have a little longer pull and a little shorter reset but they release the striker at the rear of the trigger guard. I can't decide which I like better but most of my triggers break at the rear of the trigger guard.

rupie

You need to learn how to do a Glock trigger job.

Look at the bird's head on the trigger group. Some are short some are long this will determine the release point.

I hate working on guns, I work on machines everyday at work, the only thing I want to do on guns is pull the trigger, and everyonce in a while reload. I switched to 9mm major just to cut down on how many times I have to reload in a day. Im biding my time until they allow belt fed pistols.

i built mine, and it runs...but i had some problems with the lone wolf barrel and it's needlessly tight chamber and throat dimensions.

reamed the 40 cal out to 1.200 length freebore with .401 dia cast bullets and reamed the chamber wtih a cylmer reamer to make it "standard" 40 caliber.

the trigger on the gun is silly. 2 pound and slick.

brass magwell

siedler mount

Bushnell micro dot*copy of aimpoint micro*

Lone wolf G22 threaded barrel.

Jager Comp.

tungsten guide rod

13 pound spring.

big stick holds 24 and the 140s hold 20.

i plan on building a9mm just about like it. and i dont feel like ill be giving anything up to the SJC.

• 2 weeks later...

Just my experience:

I bought an open glock from a reputable glock builder and could not get it to run. I spent a solid 1.5 years trying (seperated all variables, worked on all and sent back to builder). It was simply not possible to have that gun be reliable. I have since paid attention to other open glock shooters (home built and top builders) and all have had serious problems. Glocks could not be more reliable when stock or lightly modified, but when heavily modified it is easy to run into problems. The body of knowledge for Open 2011's is vast, I don't think that it is for open glocks. Personally, I quit fighting to shoot an open gun and shoot glocks in limited and production. If you are stuck on open, get an sti.