Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Recoilmaster Takedown Tool

jimstc

Jimstc,

I was in the same boat that you are as I had bought a used STI that did not come with the take down tool. I have now got several extras; drop me an e-mail with your address and I will mail you one.

Thanks

Joe Kipp

• 2 months later...

Mine also arrived without the tool....

I used the design specs above to make one from a 223 case. It works but I'm not fond of the sharp edges digging into the guide rod & my fingers.

STI has a 5 pack of them for sale....and a minimum parts order of $250 !!!!! :angry::angry: They responded with an email recommendation to order it through their distributors....who of course don't carry them.

I get the impression that customer service is a $250 option....

Looks like I've stumble across the motherload of Edge shooters.

This is my first post in this Forum after spending the last few days trying to catch up for about 15 years of not shooting. I could kick myself for getting away from shooting as I am now recalling how fun it was. This Forum is great to say the least.

So, maybe I'm having a mid-life crisis but I am hooked again and ready to jump back in. I live in Columbia, Mo now, so what a better place and time with May approaching.

I definitely have a goal to shoot in the Bianchi Cup and want to get into IPSC as well. At this time I could care less about Open shooting. I have been researching and reading these posts and have almost decided on the STI Edge .40. I have a buddy here who reloads and shoots as well, so all I need is a little push.

Any feedback on the Edge .40 as a good gun for both types of shooting?

LM, Welcome to the forum. I did a search to see what you could find out about the Edge and there was a bunch of topic's that I got a hit on. The Edge is a good gun. I have two that are that are like the Edge but were custom built by my gunsmith. I would suggest that you take a look at the guys shooting limited at a local club and you will most likely find an Edge among them.

I had been shooting .40 Beretta's & Glocks for years and just jumped into the semi-custom market with an Edge .40 about 4 months ago....so far I love it!

That said, I was a little over optimistic about the level of detail on the Edge coming direct from STI. For the price, I expected everything to be perfectly polished and fitted but found out later that wasn't the case. For the additional cost charged by shops like Dawson, Brazos, etc...If I were to buy again, it would be from one of these sources.

I'm shooting Limited & Limited-10 using www.MasterBlastersBullets.com 180gr Moly bullets over N310 & WSP.....they shoot VERY soft. (Use extreme caution with N310 and heavy bullets...most recommendations point toward N320 or slower powders!)

For mags, I went with SVI verses the STI because they hold 1 extra round (19), and should yield 20 with Grams 2.5mm base pads.

I also chose to have the grip stipled & painted by Jim Shanahan.(www.advancedperformanceshooting.com)

To smooth up the action, it took a bit of time with 1200 grit wet-dry sand paper to polish out the tool marks on the sides of the hammer, trigger, sear & disconnector, as well as the magazines which needed a lot of polishing. After polishing and spring adjustments, the trigger is down to a approx 2lb.

The hinge pin on the front of the STI rear sight also broke within the first 1K rounds - replaced that with a similar diameter allen wrench cut to length and staked in place...no problems since. I'm also going to replace the wide front blade (.125") with a narrower (.090") fiber optic so I can see around it.

All in all, I'll be very happy with the Edge once it's set up to fit me.

Shoot straight!

Well.....I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who was baffled by the RecoilMaster. I just recently bought a very slightly used Edge and I love it. After shooting it, I was going to give it a good cleaning, when I realized I didn't know how to take the guide rod / barrel out. I've since heard about the TakeDown tool and have one on the way, but can someone tell me exactly how to use the tool. Do you start with the slide on or off of the pistol ? What do you do next ? I feel like an idiot. I've been shooting for years, owned half-dozen 1911's, but I've never had a pistol I didn't know how to take apart.

Thanks

-STInky

• 2 months later...

On my Edge 45 I don't use the TDT for disassembly. I just rack & pop the slide release and take the top end off. I DO use the TDT to remove the RecoilMaster and reassemble the beast. My hands are strong enough but if you have smaller hands You might want to use the TDT for disassembly.

• 19 years later...

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I am now in the position you guys found yourselves.

I moved home and misplaced the plastic takedown piece for my STI.

My biggest problem is I'm in South Africa. 

You can buy the gun but don't try to look for spares.

Any suggestions?

Appreciate.