Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Classic II 1911

Carmoney

OK, I'm fortunate enough to own a lot of nice 1911/2011s, and have even built up a few nice auto-pistols for myself over the years. I just bought this American Classic 1911 on a total whim. Holy crap!--I can't believe how nice a gun it is, especially considering the street price is in the mid-$300 range!

Nice blue finish and metal work (really nice, in fact!), very well fit together, and has a nice clean trigger pull right out of the box (I tweaked the sear spring a little and brought it down to well under 3 pounds). I'll go so far as to say this gun is every bit as nice as any new Springfield or Colt I have ever bought. Furthermore, I don't think I just got lucky--I saw a couple other specimens at the gun show this past weekend, and they all seemed just as well-made.

I downloaded the pic below from some dude's Gunbroker ad, but mine looked just like it before I put a piece of 3M tape on the frontstrap and some black grips to match. The only other thing I have done so far is replace the bullcrap extended slide stop with a regular one. I shot a few mags through the gun, and it seems to function perfectly.

I shoot quite a bit of SS division over the winter and spring months in preparation for the Single Stack Classic. Some of the guys in my group shoot very nice, and very expensive, custom 1911s in SS division. I'm sure looking forward to whooping their asses with my cheap-ass (but completely functional) Uncle Mike's molded kydex holster, maybe some Wolf ammo, and a $329 gun!!

When my distributor has them back in stock, I'm going to order a stack of them for a rainy day--before the price goes up. But I'm not kidding, if you see one of these things for under $400, buy it on the spot. You'll thank me.

:cheers:

post-4033-1259714882_thumb.jpg

I played with a couple of early samples (Serial numbers 51 & 52) back in late 2007...shot one in an IDPA match (wow two years have flown by!).

Great all around 1911, very well built. The importer didn't get too many guns in country in 2008 and did some better this year (2009). It appears they will be expanding the line for 2010 with some hard chrome variations, a Commander size, and a Trophy model (don't have any details).

Hello: I think I will stick with my STI Spartan that I bought for $450 when they first came out. I have over 5000 rounds through it so far. Although for the money it is a good deal for a project pistol :rolleyes: Thanks, Eric

Yeah, a Spartan for $450 is a no-brainer, but new they're $630 or so now. I'd grab one of these in the $4-450 range and not think twice about it. R,

Hello: I think I will stick with my STI Spartan that I bought for $450 when they first came out. I have over 5000 rounds through it so far. Although for the money it is a good deal for a project pistol :rolleyes: Thanks, Eric

I have always considered the 1911s manufactured by Armscor, including the STI Spartan, to be decent guns that offer an excellent value for the money, and in fact I own an Armscor-made 9mm 1911 pistol myself which I like enough that I built up an extra top-end in .40 caliber to give it even more versatility.

However, this Metroarms product is easily superior in terms of fit and finish to any Armscor-made pistol I have handled.

Yeah, a Spartan for $450 is a no-brainer, but new they're $630 or so now. I'd grab one of these in the $4-450 range and not think twice about it. R,

I do like the factory sights on the Spartan better, I'll grant you that much.

I played with a couple of early samples (Serial numbers 51 & 52) back in late 2007...shot one in an IDPA match (wow two years have flown by!).

Great all around 1911, very well built. The importer didn't get too many guns in country in 2008 and did some better this year (2009). It appears they will be expanding the line for 2010 with some hard chrome variations, a Commander size, and a Trophy model (don't have any details).

Let me know when these hit, OK? I'm serious about buying more of these.

Let me know when these hit, OK? I'm serious about buying more of these.

10-4

Man, I wish they had a 9mm. I would be all over that like flies on... well you know.

Take a Rock Island .38 Super, install a Kart 9mm EZ fit, add better sights if necessary, shoot the crap out of it.

Mine has ~10K rounds through it.

Dave

Man, I wish they had a 9mm. I would be all over that like flies on... well you know.

Take a Rock Island .38 Super, install a Kart 9mm EZ fit, add better sights if necessary, shoot the crap out of it.

Mine has ~10K rounds through it.

Dave

I have thought about that before but that would be a $800 project. Rock Islands are not as cheap as they used to be. Then I would have to get a barrel, beavertail, sights, hammers, etc. It would be nice to get a $400 out-the-door-ready-to-go 9mm.

I have thought about that before but that would be a $800 project. Rock Islands are not as cheap as they used to be. Then I would have to get a barrel, beavertail, sights, hammers, etc. It would be nice to get a $400 out-the-door-ready-to-go 9mm.

No kidding! Looks like Taurus has their 1911 available in 9mm... I just haven't seen anywhere they are available.

I've been watching for the Taurus 9mm 1911 myself, and will buy a stainless one as soon as they are available. They're in the catalog and are even listed in some of the distributors' sites, but nobody seems to have actually taken delivery yet. I have a nice Springfield Loaded Target 9mm that I shoot quite a bit at steel matches, but it's always nice to have a back-up.

Back to the Metroarms .45--I ordered a S&A magwell and some better sights for it today. Otherwise, I'm planning to keep it essentially stock. At least for now! :D