Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Want a Custom Shadow

DoubleDelta

Okay, you guys sold me on the Shadow instead of the Phantom in the last thread. I had decided on the Custom Shadow from ghost, but the wife asked if I realy needed to spend $1200 on a pistol. Well duh, yes indeed I do, or do I?. Kinda got me thinking, I have seen some great deals on SP-01s and am interested in learning to do some of my own gunsmithing. Could I have a sweet blaster for less than a mortgage payment? Either way I'm gonna owe her something shinny.

Thanks!

Okay, you guys sold me on the Shadow instead of the Phantom in the last thread. I had decided on the Custom Shadow from ghost, but the wife asked if I realy needed to spend $1200 on a pistol. Well duh, yes indeed I do, or do I?. Kinda got me thinking, I have seen some great deals on SP-01s and am interested in learning to do some of my own gunsmithing. Could I have a sweet blaster for less than a mortgage payment? Either way I'm gonna owe her something shinny.

Thanks!

tell her what you really need is a $5K open setup. When she quits making you sleep on the couch, tell her you'll "settle" for a mere $1200 "it'll do" gun.

If you had someone close that know's CZs and how to set it up for competition, it probably would be worth learning. but it won't really save you that much when all is said and done.

its worth the price of admission to get one from Angus or Matt. They can set it up right from the beginning.

be sure to talk with them about what you are going to shoot ammo/primer wise as this will help in the setup.

I purchased the "non-custom" Shadow ($800) from CZ Custom to get started in USPSA last summer. While the $400 for trigger, springs, grips, etc are worth it, for me it bought extra mags, a cr speed belt, bladetech DOH, and some ammo instead.

I think the SP01 has a firing pin block while the Shadow does not, if that influences your decision. Depending where/what games you shoot, if you want to remove this safety feature to improve the trigger it might be an issue(IDPA??).

My decidedly newbie opinion, FWIW, is that either version of the Shadow is a great choice...don't sweat the decision, pick one and start shooting! You'll have no regrets...

I got a Shadow and a SP-01 tricked out from Matt Mink. Its easy.....just lie to your wife. If you get caught though you have to be warned like Ethan Hunt...... "The Enos Forum Will Disavow Any Knowledge of Your Actions' and your wife will multiply that $1200.00 figure ten fold for herself.

That's just a drop in the bucket.

A bone-stock TS will run you $1100. A Limited-type 2011 will easily be over $2k. Open guns are even more.

$1200 is nothing for a custom-tuned gun designed for competition, which is exactly what Angus' Shadow Custom is.

(BTW... I will be ordering one myself early next year. Plan is to start shooting Production again in the spring.)

Mate,

buy the stock Shadow & a set of springs (11lb recoil & 13/15lb main/hammer) & shoot it. If & when you have the cash, have it tuned by Angus/Matt?

If you can't shoot a stock Shadow well, you won't do it with a Custom Shadow.

Cheers, Ando.

Huge difference between the stock SP-01 and Shadow. The difference in the price is well worth it and as many have said above, this is "cheap" compared to guns in the other divisions. That is how I would sell it to the wife.

My first Shadow was from the czcustom.com with the competition hammer fitted. When it came home I installed a lighter hammer spring and recoil spring. a couple of months later I got my hands on a used pair of black aluminum grips and the competition rear and thinner fiber optic front sight set.

I later traded an open gun for a couple more CZs which included a well worn tuned Shadow from CZ Custom. They are both very accurate, but the tuned Shadow is noticeably easier to shoot as it's trigger spring had also been tuned.

The Shadow with the competition hammer was a lot more economical to obtain.

Unless she is real sharp, show her a listing for a stock SP01 and tell her that's what you got.

Or, get a stock SP01, so you can show the receipt, and build up the gun yourself. Its not that hard. Fitting the competition hammer is the toughest part.

My girlfriend has no idea how much I spend on guns, ammo, reloading presses, components, etc. I just don't bring it up. If she asks, I tell her I got a good deal. If that's not enough to pacify her, I tell her I traded something for it. I just got an SV Limited gun for $1000. It was a steal. All I told her was that I got it for a 3rd of what it was worth which is probably true.

The other thing, and I know you so I know you don't believe in this, is to sell off a gun you don't have any use for, like maybe a CZ83 in .32ACP? Then tell her you got a lot more for it than you did.

Edited by Revopop

One upside of joint accounts is never having to shop for Christmas presents again-except for her. Down side is I can't spend money like drunken sailor like I used to. However we have come to an agreement. She wants some fancy new camera, I asked why she didn't use the one she had or get one half the price of the one she wanted. At first she REALLY didn't like me using her arguments against her, but reason pervailed. When the tax return comes, I get my new pistol and she gets her camera.

Revopop, you would be suprised to know I have sold TWO guns! A .357 S&W I traded for a BetaMag(best decision ever) and that gawdawful XD-40 Tactical which I swapped for my wife's "wedding present" a Glock 19. Considering I shot my best classifier to date with the G19 I would say it was a good call. But give up my high-speed, low-drag IPDA BUG blaster? Preposterous!

Never lie to a woman - they will know -- they have perfected it and see incompetent lying immediately -- I say to original poster get the Custom Shadow and be a happy man - until she comes home and sees it... lol - and remember most women seem to prefer using a knife on a sleeping husband when they murder so don't worry about hiding the ammo - but keep track of those long blades in the kitchen...

Buy the custom that you want - but also buy her something of equal value that floats her boat -- just sell something else you don't really need for some coin. Like some of her old jewelry lol

good luck...

I have a SP01 that was worked over by a local gunsmith. Polished internals and trimmed hammer spring. I've squeezed the trigger on it and then on a CZ custom Shadow and they are real close. If money is tight and you can get a good deal on a used CZ-SP01 it can be tuned up nice. As another poster pointed out it is the shooters fundamentals that make the real difference.

Jay

• 2 months later...

Realizing that this post it a bit old, but I can add my $.02. I bought the stock Shadow from CZ Custom last year and it was awesome, right out of the box. I'm very picky about the trigger and have been totally satisfied. There were a few internal parts that were not polished and the inside of the frame and other non-critical parts is rough. The critical surfaces have smoothed out very nicely within about 1k rounds. Great gun, highly recommend it. If you have the money, the custom version would be even better but you won't be disappointed with a stock Shadow. BTW the trigger is a creep free and OT free 3.5#. The first 1# goes into the return spring.