Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extra shell on lifter

mlmiller1

Hi,

I just drank the benelli koolaid & got my first one today. An M2 field 24" barrel with synthetic stock. Is it worth the trouble to do the mod(& what is that mod?) to allow an extra shell to be loaded on the lifter or should I just buy a long enough tube to hold 8+1 for limited/tactical in 3 gun matches?

I can hardly wait to run a few shells through it. Maybe tomorrow afternoon, maybe. If not, it may have to wait for several days.

MLM

Hi,

I just drank the benelli koolaid & got my first one today. An M2 field 24" barrel with synthetic stock. Is it worth the trouble to do the mod(& what is that mod?) to allow an extra shell to be loaded on the lifter or should I just buy a long enough tube to hold 8+1 for limited/tactical in 3 gun matches?

I can hardly wait to run a few shells through it. Maybe tomorrow afternoon, maybe. If not, it may have to wait for several days.

MLM

I use an M4 and I just put it on the lifter. It works well for me.

Pat

I have an M1 with capacity of 8+1, did the mod a few of years ago and have never needed to take advantage of it. My buddy has an 18" with 7+1 and has used the mod at the start of some stages in order to start with 9.

Get the tube and don't bother with the Ghost Loading thing.

I would say just get the tube. My M1 is a 7+1+1 gun. If I would buy the longer tube, then technicaly I would have an 8+1+1 gun which could put me in Open. I don't know if anyone has been put into Open for this (unless they tried to start a stage with one over the carrier and 8 in the tube). Putting one over the carrier would be good in a tactical situation (can't have too many BBs) but if you already have the barrel length and are going to shoot Limited division, the tube is a better way to go, in my opinion.

Hurley

Mark, I can show you the mod to take the extra shell. It's cool but if you have the barrel that long you might as well go with longer tube. Since you have a limit on round count in the gun I wouldn't worry about it. I'd still do the mod just cause it's kind of cool.

Go with the 8 rd tube. It is an advantage to be able to reload 8 if needed. Even if you are not going to need to reload 8, if you are reloading only 4 because the spring will be less compressed, it will be easier shoving in the shells than if it was only a 7 round tube.

If I would buy the longer tube, then technicaly I would have an 8+1+1 gun which could put me in Open. I don't know if anyone has been put into Open for this (unless they tried to start a stage with one over the carrier and 8 in the tube).

The USPSA shotgun rules don't specifically address having a shell on the lifter, referring throughout merely to magazine capacity.

In applying the rules, I would have to judge that if you have a eight round magazine tube, you technically only have a 9 round gun—unless you specifically choose to make the effort required to start with one on the lifter, which would then put you in violation of the division requirements...and thus into Open. ["Appendix D 2. Limited/Tactical Division. 9. Ammunition capacity restrictions. Maximum of 9 rounds loaded, Max. of 8 in the case of Rule 8.1.1.2."]

Ghost loading is a nice trick, but takes a little setup. It's handy in non-USPSA matches that have no restrictions on starting number of rounds, but certainly nothing I'd ever want to try to do on the clock during a stage.

Curtis

If I would buy the longer tube, then technicaly I would have an 8+1+1 gun which could put me in Open. I don't know if anyone has been put into Open for this (unless they tried to start a stage with one over the carrier and 8 in the tube).

The USPSA shotgun rules don't specifically address having a shell on the lifter, referring throughout merely to magazine capacity.

In applying the rules, I would have to judge that if you have a eight round magazine tube, you technically only have a 9 round gun—unless you specifically choose to make the effort required to start with one on the lifter, which would then put you in violation of the division requirements...and thus into Open. ["Appendix D 2. Limited/Tactical Division. 9. Ammunition capacity restrictions. Maximum of 9 rounds loaded, Max. of 8 in the case of Rule 8.1.1.2."]

Ghost loading is a nice trick, but takes a little setup. It's handy in non-USPSA matches that have no restrictions on starting number of rounds, but certainly nothing I'd ever want to try to do on the clock during a stage.

Curtis

The rules can be different for each major 3gun match though.

Ft. Benning rules state: (rule 6.6.7) "Tactical Shotguns may only hold 9 rounds max."

I don't know if they would check the gun or not (they didn't check mine last year) and no one has ever checked my gun (I would think most experienced people would look my gun with the 18" barrel w/ghost ring sights and know that if the tube doesn't extend past the barrel, it wouldn't hold too many shells). I just wouldn't want to take a chance.

Hurley

Ghost loading isn't all that great for competition, I think ... but it's a MUST for duty work. Especially on a short one that only holds 5 to begin with! We carry hammer down on an empty chamber, so it's perfect for this setup. Rack it and go to work.

A

post-17647-1259282411_thumb.jpg

Ghost loading isn't all that great for competition, I think ... but it's a MUST for duty work. Especially on a short one that only holds 5 to begin with! We carry hammer down on an empty chamber, so it's perfect for this setup. Rack it and go to work.

A

Ahh, a Travis county car. courtesy of yours truly.

A

Ahh, a Travis county car. courtesy of yours truly.

Now there's a sharp eye! What part did you have in all of it?

A

If you are only ever going to shoot under USPSA rules, then the 8-shot mag extension is the way to go. If you are going to shoot outlaw matches under IMA rules, then get a 9-shot or better yet a 10-shot mag extension. Under most IMA rules, you have to start with 9 in the gun, but after that you can stuff as many as you like. In many stages it can be an advantage to load above the 8+1 norm.

If you are only ever going to shoot under USPSA rules, then the 8-shot mag extension is the way to go. If you are going to shoot outlaw matches under IMA rules, then get a 9-shot or better yet a 10-shot mag extension. Under most IMA rules, you have to start with 9 in the gun, but after that you can stuff as many as you like. In many stages it can be an advantage to load above the 8+1 norm.

Most definitely get the +6 or longer tube since you have the 24" barrel. +6 will give you 9 in the tube and be almost flush with the end of the barrel and plug as necessary dependant on match rules. I'd also go ahead and do the ghost load mod. It really does come in handy. Its one of those things--that its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

• 3 weeks later...
I've never seen a shotgun checked for number of rounds loaded. But after the RO's have run a few thru the stage, it's pretty obvious if someone fires 10 rounds.............

Ah Cheryl, we did some checking at Benning during preload on our stage. One competitor loaded 9 in tube thinking he would just jack one in on line (at least that's what he said). We made him plug the magazine or shoot OPEN. He plugged it.

The other procedure was, no ghost loading on line. If you wanted to put in 2 at start, I would have made them clear the gun and show a maximum of 7 round capacity or move to OPEN. If the shooter only had a 7 shell capacity, and wanted to ghost load on line, that was fine as long as we could verify it. I know this sounds picky, but there is an advantage to the shooter who loads to a higher capacity either at start or during execution of the stage.

After safety, I think the next most important job of an RO is to make sure everyone plays by the same rules and the stages remain as consistant as possible throughout the match.

I was asked how many my tube held on stage two at Benning when I put one over the carrier at the start. My tube holds 7 rounds. They didn't make me unload it to show them though.

Hurley

Edited to add: I would have gladly emptied it and re-stuffed it for anyone who wanted me too.

Edited by HRider

I was asked how many my tube held on stage two at Benning when I put one over the carrier at the start. My tube holds 7 rounds. They didn't make me unload it to show them though.

Hurley

Edited to add: I would have gladly emptied it and re-stuffed it for anyone who wanted me too.

After re-reading my previous reply, I recant!! :blush: Asking the question is correct. If the competitor says 7 than that's more than good enough for me.